“Good location, average hostel.”
Review of Vintage Hostel

Vintage Hostel
Ranked #13 of 161 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Perth, Australia
“Good location, average hostel.”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had a very small room that was crammed with two bunk beds. The room was so tiny that when it was full, there was not much room for all guests to put their suitcases. The wi-fi didn't work in the dorms and only worked in the foyer.
The lift was also broken for the whole time I stayed which was is a nuisance if you have a suitcase and are situated on the 4th level or higher.
You get what you paid for though as the location is good, very close to two metros and close to some nice cafes.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I changed my stay twice and the hotel was very cooperative with booking.com to make these changes. They charged an 8 euro charge for the second change. I stayed in a room with two bunk beds.

Liked: It's location, accessibility to train stations. proximity to few restaurants and a tourist spots. The staff is friendly and helpful.
Didn't like: The internet connectivity is limited to the lounge and spotty during breakfast and high foot traffic. Honestly, after traveling for 12 days in hotels it was not the most comfortable best first hostel experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed in this hostel back in 2010. My friends and I decided to go to Paris in March and I chose this place for me and my boyfriend because of the price & location. My friends stayed at a different hostel because all the rooms were gone by the time they decided to book a room here. In all honesty, for the price I paid I really wasn't expecting much. So when my boyfriend and I checked in, we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were absolutely wonderful. I forgot most of the French I learned back in secondary school so I'm so grateful that the guys manning the reception spoke to us in perfect English and they were more than helpful. They gave us tips on where to go and they even arranged discounted tickets to Disneyland so when we got to Disneyland we didn't even have to queue forever. They have free breakfast and you can use the computers with internet down at the lobby if you didn't bring your laptop like I did. We got a private double room with an ensuite bathroom and our room just happened to be at the top floor so we had a nice view of the street! The room was pretty basic and I had no complaints. My friends were quite jealous because I got a better hostel than they did so that says a lot! Also, the metro is literally 5 minutes walk away. 3 minutes if you're a fast walker! :p

There's a nice Portuguese restaurant approximately 20/30 steps to your right (If you're exiting the hostel, it's to the right. If you're about to enter the hostel, it's to the left!)
I know it's Paris so people are interested in French food. But there's a good reason why I'm recommending a Portuguese restaurant called Churrasquiera Galo. The food!
The food was beautiful and the price was unbelievably friendly to our wallets.
I brought my friends here for dinner. For half roast chicken/steak, fries and a glass of wine it was only €9! Now, that was a good deal!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel in a triple and double room before. The double was fantastic a part of the budget hotel side and the triple was a basic room - great for travellers. Bathrooms were clean, spacious and fully working. No paint chips or mouldy wallpaper, and the views were always fantastic. The noise was bearable with not many noisy guests and reception/common area was always buzzing with atmosphere and reception staff were friendly and helpful. You dont have to leave your key at reception and there is no curfew. 5 min walk away from Anvers metro stop and breakfast is ample - does get quite busy though at peak times. There is a nice mixture of different travellers - solo, friends, families and lots of different types of people.

The hostel is also (helpfully) a walk away from Gare du nord, so there was no dragging my luggage onto the metro and hostel has a secure luggage room so you can leave it there to make sure you have all your souvenirs! Price is excellent and I would definitely recommend the place to anyone staying for their first time in Paris.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We chose this hostel because of the price. Good price but the place was disgusting. The paint was chipping all over the room and the bathroom looked like it was going to cave in soon. There was black mold covering the ceiling and you could smell it in the room. The elevator is from the 1800's and seems like it will fall down soon, the mold is also in the staircase. The breakfast was included which was nice. Wi-fi was horribly slow unless you were the only person in the lobby at 3 am. Very close to Gare du Nord and Gare L'est, and about a 45 min walk to Eiffel Tower, half hour walk to the l'ouvre. not too bad location just very old and dirty

Room Tip: Make SURE your room doesn't have mold in it!!! We tried to switch when we saw it but the lady sa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Vintage_Manager, Gérant at Vintage Hostel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest
we take into account your request and are sorry that you didn't enjoy more your stay. To make you feel at ease, we would like to let you know about our new services and rooms : we have refurbished dorms , rooms and bathrooms, now well equipped with big shower cubicle, lockers in the room...
We take into account your request in order to improve so let us know if you can back, i will be happy to welcome you !
The Manager
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The best thing I'd have to say about the Vintage Hostel is how lovely all of the staff there were. On my recent 4-night stay there I saw a lot of different employees at the desk or cleaning and they were always very polite, helpful and willing to help. The rooms themselves were pretty basic affairs, with a mildly leaky shower (might have just been in my room) and the wallpaper pealing in a few places, but I wasn't be too concerned about that, the bed was comfy enough and clean, and we weren't using the room for anything except a place to sleep.

The main gripe I had with our stay there was that the kitchen facilities for cooking were pretty rudimentary given how many people cooked their meals there. There was one butter knife for everyone to make dinner/eat with so you had to have either brought or borrow a swish-army knife off someone else for cutting. There was a kettle, a microwave and a 2-hob hotplate for cooking (but only one hob worked). Given how many people might be eating in on any given night, most people opted for either take-out dinners from nearby places (there's an ok pizza place on Rue to Dunkerque; as if you were headed towards Gard du Nord) or something like instant noodles that didn't need anything but hot water to make.

There was a handy convenience store just next to the hostel where you can buy any supplies you need, and a slightly larger Carrefour around the corner on Rue De Rochechouart. Before you head down that road, there's one of France's many bakeries that does nice bread on the 5-road intersection.

The hostel is about 10 minutes walk from the nearby Sacrecour, which can even be seen if you have one of the hostels private rooms on the 6th floor. It's a perfectly safe area, being close enough to Montmartre that you can walk there quickly, but that it's not actually the same arrondissement as Pigalle and Montmartre at all (they're in the 18th, the Hostel just inside the border of the 9th). Halfway to Sacrecour there's a Metro station that can take you to the Arc de Triomphe, saving you about an hour or more walk. The metro system allows it so that as long as you're staying within the immediate Paris district (where everything touristy is basically) the Metro will cost you 1.90 for an adult no matter how far you go, so the nearby station saved us some hassle after a few long days.

I'd recommend the place, it's central enough that you can either walk for roughly 40 minutes to reach the Louvre, or you can just hop on the nearby Metro. It's basic certainly, but for backpackers and young travellers, it's everything you expect for the price it is.

Room Tip: You could see the top of Sacrecour from the 6th floor, but these were private rooms with a double be...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My 4th night here, still not enough blankets for us to have any in our room, and the air conditioning is broken again to the window is open and we are forced to share the noisy party over the way.

The first room they tried to put us in had graffiti on the ceiling and paint falling off, the second one (only other option) was part finished with light fittings missing.

Most of the staff are clueless, and don't know what to do if you tell them things are missing/broken

If you cook supper you have to eat it out of plastic cereal bowls with a serving spoon or a plastic t spoon as the hostel only seems to have 4 plates and 3 forks for everyone.

Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vintage_Manager, Responsable commercial at Vintage Hostel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest
For your security, we advise to our guests to use lockers in the lobby and keep an eye on your valuables.
We take into account all reviews in order to improve.
Let us know if you come back in Paris, we will be pleased to welcome you to make you benefit from our news.
Reception team