“Tatty & broken”

Ranked #12 of 170 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Bath, United Kingdom
“Tatty & broken”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My 4th night here, still not enough blankets for us to have any in our room, and the air conditioning is broken again to the window is open and we are forced to share the noisy party over the way.

The first room they tried to put us in had graffiti on the ceiling and paint falling off, the second one (only other option) was part finished with light fittings missing.

Most of the staff are clueless, and don't know what to do if you tell them things are missing/broken

If you cook supper you have to eat it out of plastic cereal bowls with a serving spoon or a plastic t spoon as the hostel only seems to have 4 plates and 3 forks for everyone.

Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vintage_Manager, Responsable commercial at Vintage Hostel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guest
we take into account your request and are sorry that you didn't enjoy more your stay. To make you feel at ease, we would like to let you know about our new services and rooms : we have refurbished dorms , rooms and bathrooms, now well equipped with big shower cubicle, lockers in the room...
For your security, we advise to our guests to use lockers in the lobby and keep an eye on your valuables.
We take into account all reviews in order to improve.
Let us know if you come back in Paris, we will be pleased to welcome you to make you benefit from our news.
Reception team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I ve been to vintage hostel twice, and would definitely come back.
Very good location, two minute walk from Gare du Nord, and easy access to train and subway.
Short walk from Sacre Coeur. and the bohemian neighbohood Montmartre.
Walking south trough Pigalle place and will find another mark, The Moulin Rouge.
As it is located very close to gare du Nord, it is easy to find market and grocery store.
Breakfast offered is quite simple and you will find cereal, bread, croissant, orange juice, milk and coffee. Use of kitchen is allowed, just make sure you live it clean and well organized. Can use refrigerador to keep your food, just have to name it.
Free wi fi is provided and works fine at reception área, does not work at the rooms.
Staff is helpfull, all information needed was provided, taxi service and AirPort transpotation.
There is an elevator, and it was broken on our last day, it was bad to carry our luggage down stairs.. Would ve been worst if we had to carry up stairs!
Do not expect parties or social events.
Everyday housekeeper, clean rooms and toilet.
Very small rooms thought..
Can not complain, good value for money!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Sheffield
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The staff were informative and ready to help us with any problem, with a smile. Or private double had a small but nice balcony, the bed was comfortable with adequate bedding. Noise levels were low, despite the hostel being full. Couldn't stay for breakfast so I couldn't comment on that. I'd recommend this place to anyone doing Paris on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Yongin, South Korea
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here like 3 yrs ago. It was quite clean and nice. The best thing about this hostel was balconies. It's not really close to eiffel tower and all, but still nice. Try to walk if you get off at Gare du Nord. I didn't know it was that close, so I took a taxi and this old man charged me about 20 euro. God blessed him that night. Anyway, it's a good place. You'll feel much better if you don't expect to much things of a budget hostel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If your on a serious budget but looking for somewhere in a good location in Paris this may be your place. However if I was to return to Paris it is not somewhere that I would remotely consider returning to. I at first wasn't bothered by being told that we were to stay on the 5th floor untill finding out that there was no lift which walking up and down after being out all day was not ideal never mind having to drag suitcases up and down ! Nightmare. Good points of the hostel include the breakfast, kitchen area available for use and cheap price- very difficult to find in Paris however a number of incidents majorly dissapoint. We witnessed on several occassions one member of staff in particular being incredible rude and unpleasant- not what you want when your away from home trying to have a nice time. We also met another guest who has been allocated a room on the 6th floor who was awaiting a knee replacement ( not warned of the lack of lift situation before booking and not best pleased as you would expect). I would recomend doing some more reasearch and finding somewhere better!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 0Imogen1Rhodes2
Vintage_Manager, Manager at Vintage Hostel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest
we thank you for your feed back that we have taken into account to improve ourselves.
That's right we had a technical problem with our elavator during your stay, fortunately, the technical service repaired it and all is ok now. Sorry for the inconvenience, because in fact, the biggest dorms and private rooms are on the 5th and 6th floor because of their nice view on the roofs of Paris.
We have refurbished dorms with their private bathroom on August and they are now on sales, so i would like to suggest you to let me know if you come back in order to make you benefit from one of the new rooms. Do not hesitate to contact me for all details !
Patterson, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I thought it would be easy to find with the directions given from the hostel website. We did as the site suggested and took a left out of Gare du Nord station onto Rue de Dunkerque. After that, it got real confusing. We got lost….. We didn’t realize that one block could easily turn into another block and that if you think you are on Rue de Dunkerque it could switch to another name because all the blocks seem to intersect. Or it felt that way to me anyway. Luckily, someone saw us looking confused and pointed us in the direction we needed to go. Still, we got lost…. We made our way back to Gare du Nord and started over again. Trying to find Vintage Hostel the second time was much easier than the first time.

Upon arriving at Vintage Hostel, we were given bed sheets and key cards to access our rooms. We were given 508 as our room number and then preceded to head up to our room. While there, the elevator didn’t work so we had to climb up five flights of stairs to get to our rooms. That wouldn’t have been a problem except for when we arrived since we had our backpacks that we needed to carry up to the room with us. The packs seemed to get heavier with every step we took. It was 92 steps…. I counted….

We opened the door to our room and after checking everything out, I realized the only thing I was going to love about the room was the big window that looked out onto the back of another building. Still, it was a nice view and at least we could open up the window whenever we wanted. Another added benefit was the air conditioning which worked really well. So well in fact that I would get cold at night because that is the only time we had it turned on in the room. I took the bottom bunk bed since I didn’t want to climb up to the top bunk bed every night to sleep. I slept close to the edge of the bed since I tried to stay away from the wall since it had some small holes in it. Onto the bathroom which I tried not to look up when I took showers because there was mold on the ceiling. I am sure the other rooms might be nicer than the one we were given but if I ever stayed here again, I would request another room that was not 508 and closer to the reception area so I wouldn’t have to climb up so many steps with my backpack. One more thing to add about the rooms is that there is a lock-out during the day so that the rooms could be cleaned. We never did get out of the room before the lock-out started at 9:00 am through 4:00 pm. It was never a problem coming back to the room after 4:00 since we were always out during the day.

The hostel did offer breakfast and free Wi-Fi which was included in the price of the bed. Breakfast consisted of rolls, croissants, jams, cereal and milk. Seriously what more could you ask for in a breakfast and a free one at that. All the food that you need to get you started on the right foot in the morning. There was even a kitchen provided if you wanted to make your own meal while there. We used it once while we were there to make pasta for dinner and they had all the kitchenware provided for us to use. As for the Wi-Fi, it only worked in the common area and it was spotty at best. You had to sit in a certain area for the Wi-Fi to work better for you and if you weren’t in that area, then it was hit and miss if the Wi-Fi would work. In order to access the Wi-Fi, you would go up to the reception desk and get a piece of paper out of this fish bowl and it held the password for the Wi-Fi that could be used for the hour. Then you would go back to the desk and get another password when the hour was up so that the Wi-Fi was free for you during your entire stay. Or you could pay to use the computer that they had in the common area.

Now if you are like some people, you need lockers to put your valuables or backpacks in while you are gone for the day. Lockers were not provided in the rooms which are something the hostel should look into if they decide to upgrade the rooms. There were some lockers in the common area that you could use if any were available. We found one to use for our entire stay which we only used to put a few things into since we left our backpacks in the room. The lockers were free. You only needed to put some money in them as a deposit of sorts, put a combination into the lock provided that only you would know and then when you left you would receive the money back.

Leaving the room out of the equation, Vintage Hostel is really close to the metro which we used while we were there. Anvers. That is the metro stop we used to take to whatever we wanted to see in the city. Besides all the walking we did. Another thing is the hostel is close to my favorite place in Paris. Sacre Coeur…. I can’t attest to how close it was since we had to backtrack to see it from another area of Paris and didn’t actually walk to it from the hostel.

One thing to remember if you do decide to stay at Vintage Hostel is that parts of the area around the hostel can be dodgy. Or you feel as if you are in the bad part of Paris. I don’t know how else to say it but that is how I felt especially after using the Laundromat that was around the corner from where we stayed. We were harassed by one teenager or he might have been in his early 20′s that was speaking to us in foul language and wouldn’t leave us alone. He even said he would take our clothes out of the washing machine when we left to get some breakfast. We weren’t worried about that since the machines are on timers and you can’t open them until the timer goes off.

Vintage Hostel did have some good qualities and some not so good qualities to it. Though, the bad far outweighed the good. Do with it what you will if you decide to take a chance and stay here. Everyone experiences things differently and your experiences at Vintage might be different than mine or they might very well be the same.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank buff29
Dear Guest
Thanks for your feed back we want to take into account.
In fact, we are located in Montmartre district, very touristic area of Paris, one of the most touristic one with Moulin Rouge and Sacre Coeur. Sorry if you didn't feel at ease, we tend to take care of every guest staying with us with good advice to make their stay better and safe of course.
We have taken into account some reviews and have decided to refurbish some dorms and bathroom. We also want to keep free services such as breakfast, wifi in the lobby, storage.
Well, we hope our guests will enjoy the new atmosphere of the dormitories and private rooms, so i would like to suggest to let me know if you come back in order to benefit from the new rooms for a better stay !
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I read some really good reviews about Vintage Hostel online before I booked. I wasn't expecting cheap in Paris and I wasn't expecting amazing for 30 euro a night.
Pros:
A/C in the rooms, English speaking staff, location. The Metro was nearby, and it was very close to the Sacre Coeur. WiFi access and computers in the lobby was also a plus. Loads of restaurants nearby. I arrived early in the morning and was able to store my luggage until check-in time and was able to store it again after check-out until my late train.
Cons: My room smelled awful, there was one electrical outlet in the room and I couldn't get it to work, there were very few safety measures in place; I stayed at another hostel that required you to show ID in order to have access to the rooms but this place would let anyone walk in and head up the stairs. The 4-person elevator was one of the most terrifying things I've ever been inside.

In all, I probably wouldn't stay here again. I would definitely pay a little more to stay somewhere even a little bit nicer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kristian H
Dear Guest
i would like to inform you about the news at Vintage ! We have refurbished bathrooms and i hope you will find them comfortable.
About safety, all our guests fill a form with their ID and keep a "to know you better " form with us all along their stay in order to enter in the hostel night and day. We also ask to our guests to come at reception once a day for a better control of the room card.
So we hope to welcome you one more time to enjoy a new stay with us !