“Good cost benefits”

Ranked #11 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Salvador
“Good cost benefits”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Located at the area of Monmartre and near the tube station of Anvers. The costumer service was very helpfull, the rooms are ok and all of them have a balcony where you can see the street. In general, the hostel is simple and ok to spend a few days.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were actually originally booked into a nearby hostel 'Le Regent' which apparently is a member of the same hostel group. Upon arrival at Le Regent we were informed we had been 'upgraded' to the Vintage Hostel due to double booking. The receptionist was apologetic but even stated we should have been pre-informed of the change but 'he forgot'! So not the greatest of starts...but from what I can tell the two Hostels are prety much identical in price, location and facilities so we weren't too fussed about the change, just a bit of notice may have been nice. So overall be warned you may be bumped between the two at busy times!

The hostel was tidy, and the communal area fairly nice but a bit shabby around the edges (some scuffed walls and peeling wallpaper) and our room was pleasant enough (private ensuite double). The bathroom had some basic toiletries and was very clean (in comparison to the experiences of some of the other reviewers!). Also the Air-Con was extremely good; full marks for that given the high temperatures in the city during our stay!

Considering the majority of Paris hotels do not include breakfast, the 'petit dejeuner' here is pretty good; croissants, cereals, bread rolls, jams, coffee, juice and tea (they even leave out the left overs after breakfast has finished for you to nibble on through the afternoon!). Not much variety but okay for a couple of days.

The location was great for our needs; 10 mins walk to Gare Du Nord, 5 minutes from Anvers station and 10 minutes from the Sacre Coeur with plenty of reasonably priced cafes and restuarants nearby (try Avenue Trudaine aournd the corner or the northern part of Rue Caulaincourt for nice restaurants that are a bit off the main tourist streets). The trip into central Paris is only 10 minutes and the Blue line from Anvers is very easy to navigate.

The area feels safe enough but just avoid the scam artists on the approach to the Sacre Coeur via Rue de Steinkerque; the 'bracelet' guys, the 'deaf and mute' donation girls and the 'three disc monte' stalls are all fake and just out to part you from your cash. Just keep your hands in your pockets and walk past them with confidence and they will leave you alone.

Overall, not the best hostel I have stayed in but nothing massively wrong with it, about a 6/10!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the top floor overlooking Rue Du Dunkerque have a view of the top of the Sacre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nablies
Fargo, North Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was my very first hostel experience so I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. Room was very dated, and all of the wallpaper was peeling off the walls. Mold all over the bathroom ceiling but besides that the bathroom was clean. Smallest shower I have ever seen in my life, water goes everywhere when you use it. One really annoying point is there is no lockers in the room, only in the lobby and they cost money. Luckily I felt safe with my roommates but I can see how this may be a problem with other travelers. Breakfast was very good for a free breakfast in my opinion. Wifi worked in the lobby but was a bit dodgy if a lot of people were on it. In the end I would pick a better place if you are staying more than two nights.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

I recently stayed here for a few nights during my time in Paris. I really liked the location of this hostel. So close to the metro and only a couple of minutes away from Sacre Coeur and all the Montmartre action. The area was well lit and, as a solo female traveller, I felt really safe, even at night. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the beds were clean and comfortable. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm and had one or two odd ducks sharing with me but otherwise I met nice people. The only complaint with the dorm room was the bathroom. While I loved the fact that I did not have to walk down the hall with all of my stuff, the bathroom was horrible. There was mould all over the ceiling and the tiles, and the tiles were falling off the wall and side of the bathtub. I think with a bit of upgrading and caring for the bathrooms in the form of a fan, this would be a really great hostel. I would stay here again, but would probably get a private room next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank italiagatto
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I recently stayed here for 2 nights. I was in the 4 bed female dorm and found the room acceptable. The reception staff were nice and helpful and the kitchen was useful for making dinner, although there was no oven, only a microwave. However, I was very disappointed by the bathroom. On the website the bathroom looked quite nice, but the one in my room was so damp and mouldy, I hated using it. They really should put an extractor fan in there! Apart from that my stay was fine. Basic, but on a budget what do you expect?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank roka93
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I really loved staying in Vintage Hostel. I met very friendly people there, both visitors and staff. I shared a room with three other people and I really liked everyone I roomed with. The location was great too, albeit not my favorite part of Paris, but no real complaints about the area. For a hostel, this is a great option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Great location for accessing the city by the easy-to-use metro. The staff were friendly, helpful, and spoke English very well. The double room we had was small, but quiet and pretty well-maintained. It also had a nice view of the Parisian apartments across the road (not in a creepy, spying on the neighbours kind of way!). The free wifi was pretty unreliable, but the breakfasts were nice and the general atmosphere was relaxed and fun. I would definitely recommend if you're a couple looking to explore Paris on the cheap, but also want a degree of privacy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple