“mediocre. more for the young.”
Review of Vintage Hostel

Vintage Hostel
Ranked #12 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Paris
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Paris is very expensive, so for the price, the value is good Overall it is in a great location. We took a train from the airport and walked to Vintage hostel. Upon arrival, we were quickly placed in our room and it was a very small room but it worked. The breakfast is not very good, nor is the room very clean but overall its a great atmosphere for the young and adventurous.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Irena S

Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Have been here thrice in all my stays in Paris and has never been disappointed. The hostel is 10-minute walk away from Gare du Nord and is situated in one of the most diverse and culturally rich districts of Paris, Montmarte. Despite its location which some may deem far, all the tourist sights are an easy hop via the metro and the neigborhood is safe with lots of cheap eats. During my last stay, a friend and i had an attic private room with attached bath - a tad small but had a good view of the quintessential Parisian rooftops and we could even see the Sacre Couer from our balcony! Not bad at all - it was comfy, the staff were good at what they do and efficient and they have a simple breakfast which is enough to tide you over till lunch. It's a small hostel compared to big chain ones but that's exactly it's charm - it's got character and an intimate feel.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my family. I was pretty happy with the hotel, and even though it is located in an old building and the rooms were small and had threadbare walls and floors, but the beds and bathrooms were clean. Some of our party had beds that sagged in the middle though, so you might want to complain about that as soon as you find out.

Take note that this establishment has 2 parts. One is the hotel where you have 1 or 2 people max to a private room, and they are mostly in the upper floors. The other part is the hostel where they have 3 or more people sharing a room. Because of this, the lobby could get loud especially with all the young people around.

The lift at Vintage also starts midway between the ground and the first floor, and ends midway between the 5th and the 6th floor. if you have luggage, you will have to lug it half a floor up or down.

Also, you might want to get to breakfast early, as both times I have been they had run out of bread.

The staff (Nitin, Romain and Sabine) were also very helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms 601 and 602 were ample sized compared to some other rooms on that floor!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tsinkoy
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spent 3 nights at this hotel with 2 friends. It's clean and in good area. Rooms are small but what you expect for this money in Paris. The most import is cleaness. I would recommend for cheap holidays in Paris. You don't spend a lot of time at the hostel. Breakfast is OK cerelas coffee juice jam small bread and croissant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Myszkolc
Vintage_Manager, Manager at Vintage Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Hi
thanks for your review. We will do a refurbishment soon in order to make next stays more enjoyable. Hope to welcome you one more time !

Reviewed October 4, 2012

+ Very cheap.
+ Nice atmosphere down in the lobby.
+ Free wifi (good in the lobby, just enough to reach the 5th floor).

- The staff was always busy chatting with a friend behind the desk, and we mostly had to wait a few minutes before they turned to us.
- The power outlet in our room stopped working several times.
- Got the feeling the room was old and filthy.

Conclusion: Ok for a group of 7 on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Hi
thanks for your review. We hope to welcome you soon to enjoy more a new stay. If any problem with the plugs, some can be used ain the lobby.
See you soon in Paris

Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Here is the deal. Paris hotels are pretty expensive. If you want to save money, this hostel feels very safe, staff is very helpful, etc.

The room I stayed in for one night was filthy. The towels they give you will scratch your skin. If you get stuck with a bunk bed it wobbles around if you barley move. I did not sleep a wink. I had to leave.

I must say hostels are not my thing. So, maybe you will have a better experience. I have stayed in much nicer ones in Europe.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank bozogoot
Vintage_Manager, Manager at Vintage Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Hi
thanks for your review it could help. In fact at this fully time, paris could be expensive however we've got good rates all along the year, especially when you book in advance in our website.
We will be happy to welcome you another time for a more enjoyable experience.
See you in Paris !

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Vintage Hostel in Paris' romantic Montmartre quarter was a pleasant however not overwhelming experience, though I have to admit I saw only very little of it. At 24 Euro for 1 night it seems quite expensive but apparently: this is Paris! And included in the price is unlimited wireless as well as breakfast, and the baggage room is free also.
For my 24 Euro I did get a 2 bed en suite. That was an upgrade from the 4 bed dorm I had actually booked. The room including the bed was very clean. And the almost private shower proved a nice change from the past nights.
Breakfast is served in the common area right by the reception. That area also offers 2 PCs (you have to pay for) and a TV. There is a microwave to heat your own dinner which you can buy at the supermarket next door. But the neighborhood also offers tons of reasonably priced (in Paris measures) restaurants. I didn't actually get to try the breakfast as I woke up too late. So can't say much about it. Though I'd bet you getting a croissant and coffee from one of the many boulangeries and eating it in the park is much nicer...
I am not sure where the Vintage derived its name or the title 'boutique hostel' from. Maybe it's the cracked paint on some of the walls and ceilings. This effect might actually really be intended as in contrast to other places I've stayed at before I didn't find any mold in the bathroom which is not bad for a building I'd estimate to be 100-something years old.
As for the audience: they seem to be almost exclusively backpackers, mostly from overseas.
My final verdict: I have heard horror stories about Paris hotels that charge you 60 Euro a night for a s*** hole. So this city is one where I'd strongly suggest you go to sites like hostelbookers.com (where I booked) and look at the ratings before you book. The ratings the Vintage Hostel received did stand my reality test.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo