“Racist Staff”

Best Western Hotel Ronceray Opera
Ranked #880 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I am an arab muslim and I have to mention that the staff there is racist. They never said anything offensive, but they would not look me in the eye when talking to me or smile. I didnt really notice it until i saw one of the receptionists talking to a british guest: she was all smiles and doing her best to be of help. Totally different attitude when dealing with me. I found it very sad, because racism is something that is not acceptable anymore and everyone should be treated with respect no matter what race/ color/ religion.
On the other hand, hotel was clean enough, breakfast was ok (nothing extraordinary) and in a good location. Lots of shops around and very close to the metro station. I had a great time in Paris but if I go again, I will not stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amal1970
astagh, Directeur général at Best Western Hotel Ronceray Opera, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Sir,
First of all I wish to thank you for some of the positive comments regarding our establishment.
However I am very surpised concerning your feeling of being treated with racism and I do apologize for you feeling that way. I am absolutely positive that the members off my staff are not racist. Even the composition of the staff is very mulit national (Asian, Northafrican, African, French...). We have spoken about your post with everybody in the recpetion and they all remain quite shocked by your comment. At no time do they consider different nationalities in different ways. I really present my most sincere apologies again and I profit from the occasion to wish you a Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This lovely hotel is situated in one of the 9th arrondissement's passages- perfect if you're there for art, culture & architecture. Very helpful staff, very clean & fresh room & a good size. 10 minute walk from The Louvre too. Highly recommended.

3  Thank KerryS0177
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I travelled to Paris for a short 3 day break with my wife and two year old son. It is a small city hotel situated in a good location close to Gard Du Nord, Opera, and city attractions. This hotel exceeds BW standards. The hotel and our room was very clean, tidy and comfortable. The staff couldn't do enough for us, from the receptionists to the restaurant staff at breakfast they were all extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. The hotel has nice decor and if there is any criticism I would say it could do with a lick of paint in some parts of the hotel. Other than that our stay was very memorable and we would definitely recommend them and will visit again. Your staff are a credit to your hotel!!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Montmarte Boulevard pick up noise from busy street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Very good location. Metro literally right outside of hotel. We enjoyed the breakfast every morning. Room was extremely small but we were in Paris ! Our view on 3rd floor of Sacre Couer was amazing. The small shops right outside of the hotel were a pleasant surprise. We wetre a little stuffy in our room so the staff brought a fan to us as soon as we requested.

Room Tip: View of Sacre Coure
Reviewed November 21, 2013

It is a small city hotel, with excellent service. Close to Opera, and city attractions. Good for 2-3 days business trip. Since you know what is BW, you do not expect to much, however this hotel exceeds BW standards. Very helpful hotel stuff, very nice decoration. Only downside is there is no hourly express laundry. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Street view rooms at level 5.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very good position to move using the underground.;) Friendly staff :) Nice room but the cleaning service was not very good,2 TVs in the room,bathroom was a little bit old but good. Few metres from Hard Rock Cafè!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week on a group tour. I traveled alone. Positive sides: the location is great. It's a lively area of Grand Boulevards, lots of restaurants nearby, metro station a stone's throw away. You can walk to Louvre in 20 minutes. The breakfast was nice and there was plenty of food: omelette, bacon, meats, cheeses, vegenatables, croissants - of course, - etc. I am told that majority of hotels in Paris serve only the minimal "continental" breakfast, but this hotel is a fortunate exception. Free WiFi worked well. Generally the hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable.

Negative sides: at times the hotel was somewhat noisy at night, though it may have to do with my room being located at the 5th floor right next to the elevator engine. Other rooms may be more quiet. The furniture was a little broken, in particular, in my room the bathroom door would not fully close. I didn't make a fuss about it as I was there alone, but it was somewhat disappointing. The room was quite small, though this is to be expected in a city hotel. The fifth floor I was at is a bit awkward to get to, as the elevator stops at the 4th, and you need to climb a rather steep flight of stairs to get to your room. Was not a problem for me, but could have been for someone older or heavier.

In summary, the hotel was good in things that mattered for me (which was location, Internet, breakfast and cleanness), and the downsides were not substantial. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I didn't like being at the fifth floor, awkward to get there. Try to stay at lower floors.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo