“Location, location, location”

Opera Cadet Hotel
Ranked #314 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
“Location, location, location”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week in September 2012. Our room was large by Parisian standards based on previous experience. Our room was at the back of the hotel and was very quiet. Breakfasts were very nice with an excellent selection that should cater for everyone. Staff on the desk were friendly and efficient. The hotel is very close to numerous restaurants but we found that if you look down some of the side streets you will discover some real un-touristy little restaurants that are not only cheap, in comparison to the Main Street areas, but provide a true reflection of Parisian food. A great way to get around is to buy a day ticket, or 2 days, on one of the hop on hop off bus operators. A bus stop is located only a 10 minute walk from the hotel and this is a great way to see and move between all the attractions of Paris. The Lourve is only a 30 minute walk from the hotel with lots of points of interest along the way.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pieter H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Barnegat, New Jersey
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the Opera Cadet from January 18-21, 2013 with a group of teachers.
I usually stay on the left bank, so this was a change for me. The location was excellent. The metro stop was a stones throw from the hotel.
The street was semi-pedestrian, which I did like. There were shops very close by and a great bakery/pastry shop directly across the street.

The lobby was very nice and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. There is free internet usage in the lobby..
My room was a single room (Room 105). The elevator was quick and larger than many Parisian elevators ;) My room was street-side. The windows opened onto a view of the bakery across the street. This was all very pleasant...until I wanted to sleep. The noise from the street was completely audible. I heard the 2:00 am people returning from wherever they had been. I heard the clean towels being delivered at 5:00 am and other sounds in between. This did detract from my stay. However, the bed was comfortable, the shower was strong and hot as well. There was a fully-stocked refrigerator, but I did not partake in that food or drink. I really wish they had coffee pots in the rooms--that would a definite plus for me!
The TV worked, but I could only receive about 5 channels--all in French. I speak and understand French, but I was kind of hoping to at least see CNN or the BBC for updates as well. I did notice that a cord was detached from the TV. I reported this to the front desk and a repair man was sent almost immediately. He fixed it with a new cord. Unfortunately, I still did not have any more channels than I had previously had!(?!)
We did have breakfast in the hotel and it was delicious---the usual croissants, bread, pain au chocolat, boiled eggs as well as scrambled eggs, crepes and sausage. It was very good.
All in all, I would stay here again, I would simply request a room in the back of the hotel facing the courtyard, which was lovely especially under the snow.

Room Tip: Request a room in the rear of the hotel for quiet sleep
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Madame44
, General Manager at Opera Cadet Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hello Madame,

First of all, we would like to thank you for all your kind comments on the Hotel Opera Cadet. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your detailed review will certainly be quite helpful to our future clients.
More importantly, we would like to apologize for the bad TV reception that you experienced and offer you an explanation as to why this service was not functioning correctly. Unfortunately, the weekend just before you arrived, Paris was hit with a snow storm and the city is not that well equipped to deal with such situations. This tampered with our TV reception and we had to call the cable company for them to repair the damages. Therefore, only the 5 main French channels were available just for the 3 days that you were at the hotel. This was unfortunate, but based on your review, we hope to see you again in the near future and we assure you that this matter will be fixed.
We also take note that you would prefer a room facing the garden on your next visit, and we will do our best to suit your request.
Kind regards from all the staff at Hotel Opera Cadet.
Nottingham Road, South Africa
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel would certainly not win any design awards - but if you are looking for a clean comfortable hotel in a great location that is reasonably priced you will not be disappointed. The family room was generously sized.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Craig S
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is 3 star and no more than that. But clean and location is great and just across the road is the underground metro. The rooms are quite small and dated but if site seeing in Paris not a problem. The staff are very helpful and we included breakfast with our room. The breakfast room is nice but very busy. In saying that we didn't have problems getting a table either morning. Light breakfast is served with plenty of everything, and nice to have a little something to start the morning off as we are not big breakfast eaters. We did on the second day venture out walking when we found our where abouts and after about a 20 minute walk found alot of sites.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a street view, so you get plenty of light and air as rooms are small
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank LCMOD
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

This review is long overdue, but our stay at Opera Cadet was great. With friendly professional staff, who were happy to assist us with everything. The Opera Metro stop is just a few steps away. It's also on a relatively quiet street, which gives you the real 'french like' feel. Our room faced the back of the hotel and was very quiet. We found the breakfast to be very good with a buffet style with a choice of scrambled and boiled eggs, sausages, cheeses, ham, bread and pancakes as well as cereal, fruit and yoghurt and a nice variety of french pastries. The bakery right opposite the Hotel is amazing, with fresh addictive chocolate eclairs! There are also quite a few restaurants just near the hotel and La Fayette is a 10 minute walk or a short metro ride away.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Si A
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for a weekend in December with my teenage daughter.
I found the location great, the reception staff and the breakfast room staff all very friendly and helpful. I would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

3 Thank Laura G
New York
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over Christmas. While the room was not very large, it served us well for those three nights. The hotel is in a great location with a metro stop just steps away. It's also on a relatively quiet street, which seems to be more of a pedestrian promenade than street. Our room faced the back of the hotel and was very quiet. The staff was friendly throughout. We found the breakfast to be very good with a nice variety of french pastries. One complaint I have is that we put up the do not disturb card as my wife was not feeling well and wanted to rest. Instead of moving past our room, the front desk called our room, waking up my wife, to ask if we wanted service. Other than that slight hiccup, everything else was very nice.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple