“On its way to be better”

Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel
Ranked #560 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed there for 2 nights this month.
To be honest, there are 2 parts in this hotels: the room, that is very comfortable, apparently recently refurbished; the public spaces, that are not at the expected level.
Again, the room was really ok: good bed, nice decoration, good view. The only points that could be improved are the isolation (I could here sometimes the people in the other room) and the wifi connection.
The public areas are currently under renovation so it is difficult to judge them but the breakfast in a meeting is not really at the level, especially that it is not the best quality.
Let see what it'll be in a few months ...

1  Thank FredK1412
Camille G, Responsable relations clients at Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear FredK1412,
I could see from your comments on TripAdvisor that your recent business stay with us did not meet your expectations. I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me, should you be able to make the time, so that we can understand better your guest experience.
Our public area was refurbished to respond to guest cues and improve our quality of service..
I really hope to have the chance to welcome you back.
I remain at your entire disposal should you need any help to organize your future stay with us.
Best regards
Camille

There are newer reviews for Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Staff were pretty friendly. Room decent size for the price.... But...

Shower pressure in room was really poor. The Internet was really slow and was up and down. For a business guy who travels all the time I need to be able to talk to my wife and kids on Skype. A lot of the time it just didn't work. Sub megabit speed. They seemed surprised when I complained.

As a gold card holder I looked forward to using the lounge. But over weekends you have to eat breakfast in the non descript basement restaurant. The snacks at cocktail time were about as poor as I have seen anywhere, perhaps I have been spoiled in Asia. One time I went up for a coffee the machine was broken and I guess because lounge is unmanned, no one knew to fix it.

No newspapers in lounge or delivered to room. They had some at breakfast on Sunday but all French. I was told no English on Sundays... But never saw one on Saturday either.

Location pretty handy.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed February 22, 2014

As a Marriott Platinum member, I am a big fan of Marriott and as I am often in Paris, I have tried almost all its hotels. This is by far - the worst.

I paid €320 per night. That is more than $420. So yes - you expect a premium service.
We did get an upgraded executive room - a room which was narrow, small and very dark. Upstairs lounge was small and pretty basic. Internet is an absolute nightmare as I had to re-log on every 10 minutes. Room key did not operate twice and I had to run down to ask for a new key. Gym is clean and nice but with little amount of equipment.

And then - there was the renovation in the lobby. I was supposed to meet clients at the lobby but that was not possible - I could not hear my own voice in the lobby. When you book online - you expect the hotel to inform of such a thing.

For more than $400 this is not what one expects. I felt cheated.

To end with good points - bathroom is nice and the staff at the reception really tried hard to give a high level of service and they were attentive but overall the hotel is simply disappointing.

1  Thank Run13
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The hotel was beautiful with extremely professional staff that spoke English.The restaurant connected to the hotel, 16 Haussmann, was superb. The lobby was under construction during my stay, but the noise was never an issue and it didn't inconvenience me in any way. Nice room, comfortable beds, marble bathrooms. There is a taxi stand right outside for convenience, but the location is so great you can get away with walking.

I'm giving it a 3 because of two big issues: The internet speed and the water when showing would fluctuate in temperature. I checked with colleagues staying in a different room on a different floor and they experienced both issues.

The fluctuating water temperature wasn't terrible - It went from just slightly too hot to luke warm every 45 seconds; not enough to cause me to jump out of the shower or shriek uncontrollably.

The internet speed, however, was unacceptable for the rate of the hotel. Since the primary reason was business this was very inconvenient. The speed is too slow for video chat and can barely do VoIP. Even downloading email attachments prove to be difficult.

Internet Speed Details from my stay:
Ping took 26ms, download speed was .9 Mbps, upload speed was .35 Mbps. For non-technical people: Downloading a picture took between 3-5 seconds.

For ~200 EUR a night on average internet speeds this slow were unacceptable for business, especially in a country that declared access to the Internet to be a basic human right.

If you're vacationing to the city I'd recommend this hotel.

1  Thank kefeg508
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Nice hotel let down by poor service .
Stayed for 4 nights , arrived to rooms not ready, concierge seemed unable to work out that we wanted our cases to be in our rooms and left them unattended by the entrance. The super fast wifi wouldn't work above 0.9 mb . Breakfast was 24 euros per person daily and was served in an undersized room which meant finding an empty table almost impossible. The hotel restaurant
"16 Haussmann looked wonderful but between the first and second course was a 1hour and 40 minute wait , we tired of waiting for the final courses so left , there was no apology from the staff for slow service .Our room had one towel between two people and we had to wait for the room service to reluctantly provide another towel 40 minutes later! Generally poor service in every department ,
would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Markko M
Camille G, Responsable relations clients at Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Markko M,
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is important for us at all time to give a constant and professional service. We have failed on this occasion and we will take the appropriate actions to correct this. We always strive for excellence and we are eager to meet your expectations.
I remain at your disposal and please feel free to contact us directly for any future stay you might plan. We will do our best to deliver the service you will expect.
Kind regards
Camille

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

First off, between the mixed reviews and construction, I wasn't really sure what to expect from this hotel. However, I was very pleasantly surprised. Check in was very loud due to the ongoing construction but the front desk handled it amazingly well. We are platinum with Marriott and we were given an upgraded room with plenty of room for our infant son.

We thought that our room was beautiful (room 513). There was a little hallway with a console table and coat rack separate from the bedroom. Gorgeous four poster bed that was very comfy and our room faced Haussmann Blvd yet it was very quiet. The view was beautiful. We were coming from an autograph collection Marriott in London and this room was equally well equipped.

We has free access to the concierge lounge with breakfast in the morning and appetizers in the evening.

We were able to walk to a lot of different things--the opera house, the louvre, the Sacre Couer (that was a hike!) and there is good shopping nearby.

I would absolutely stay here again when in Paris. And I bet it would be an even better stay with all of the construction completed!

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank rckwygirl76
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed in this hotel for three nights in February. Booked adjoining rooms for my family of four at €200 each. The location was great - walkable from Montmartre to Notre Dame, and the rooms were well furnished, good tv and wifi and plenty of tea coffee etc. Downsides: hotel was undergoing refurbishment which affected the ambiance of all the common areas - bar, restaurant, with hordings scaffolding and even traffic cones. Not the end of the world and these things do need to happen but we could have been told about this in advance and adjusted our expectations. Also rooms facing the interior were small dark and a bit oppressive so we really missed having some relaxing milling about space to escape to. So overall a shame, as it was almost excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014