“another perfect stay... it deserves to be loyal”

Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel
Ranked #244 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
Istanbul, Turkey
“another perfect stay... it deserves to be loyal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

It was my second stay at Hotel Scribe managed by Sofitel, Paris. After staying there once, I just couldn't think of any other hotel. It was like returning to 'my place'. Yes, there are so many places to stay in Paris but if you're a perfectionist like me, there are a few alternatives indeed. It's a real 5 star class hotel which has the universal quality standards. (So no need to mention its cleanless, comfort, service, etc) Also the design of its rooms are very practical and comfortable. The size of its rooms are very good; (we're used to have big rooms in Istanbul - I recommend the Club Sofitel rooms but the luxury rooms are also very good.) The hotel's location is amazing. The breakfast was even enriched and delicious. The General Manager, Mr. Vincent Arnaud was very polite and hospital; he even upgraded our room for our loyalty. The Guest Relations Manager, Louise was also very gentle and professional. Before we arrived at the hotel, I arranged our restaurant bookings and got information about the events with the help of the concierge representatives who were very fast and helpful. This hotel deserves to be loyal. And now I like to be in Paris more. I strongly recommend Hotel Scribe managed by Sofitel.

Room Tip: I believe all of the rooms are very good at this hotel. I stayed at Club Sofitel room and at luxury...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hale-Istanbul
Vincent A, Directeur général at Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear guest,

It is a real pleasure to read your kind words.
On behalf of the Hotel Scribe Paris Ambassadors, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travelers.

Our Luxury Club rooms are indeed spacious and offer great comfort. The beautifully furnished rooms make the experience unique. You may have noticed the framed drawings made by Yves Saint Laurent; the Hermès toiletries in the bathroom; and the softness of the Mybed bedding, exclusively designed for Sofitel; which gives a whole different meaning to coziness.

I certainly hope we will welcome you again very soon. Your "parisian" pied-a-terre is waiting for you.

Vincent Arnaud

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cheshire, U.K
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Disappointed... Our (first) room had a bad odour of drains and we asked for another. There was no drama about this and the second room was good - except - there was no facility to hang coats. We raised this issue and a free-standing rail came to the room: this may sound petty but I don't expect to stay in a 5* hotel and have to put two fur coats over a chair and hang a suit in the bathroom.
In addition the bathroom had a grubby seal around the bath and the extractor fan (which didn't work anyway) was caked with dust.
And so: great location but would other hotels offer more? I think so...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Vincent A, Directeur général at Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Sheena099,

You took some time to write these comments about the Hotel Scribe and I really thank you for this. I am truly sorry that your experience was not as good as you could have expected, due to the room which did not meet your expectations.

Actually all our rooms are different : in some rooms there is one closet, in other rooms several closets and in bigger ones a chest of drawers in addition. Guests who stay more than two nights are usually given rooms with many storage, and it seems that it was not the case for you, please accept my sincere apologies.

Concerning the bathroom, housekeepers are told to pay special attention to hygiene and cleanliness, and I must say that we have very few complaints about this matter. However, you can be assured that I will take the appropriate measures to avoid this kind of negligence in the future.

I really hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in a near future, as this stay did not reflect the quality of service we intend to offer to our guests. Do not hesitate to contact the Guest Relation Manager prior to your arrival, who will do his best to make your stay at the Hotel Scribe a memorable moment.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Spent two nights at the Hotel Scribe for work. I was impressed with the front desk staff, who were friendly without being obsequious; with the room, which was comfortable and smartly designed, and with the room service, which was prompt and tasty. The prices were outlandish, but I wasn't paying. The location was convenient for me but it's not the most dynamic part of Paris. A few small negatives: the gym, as noted by others, is small and very limited and the room service staff tried to upsell me with my breakfast order, which was irritating. One larger problem: I was stuck in the elevator for about 5 minutes (the car lurched to a stop and the door opened to a cinderblock wall)- not long enough to be a real inconvenience but long enough for me to get nervous. I was rescued after my pressing the alarm button summoned an employee, who seemed skeptical that I was stuck. It's an old building, and I appreciate that these things happen but I'd rather not be treated with suspicion for being trapped.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kellogg,

Thank you for sharing your experience with travelers all around the world ! At the Hotel Scribe, all the staff members have the sense of service. They are welcoming, smiling and attentive to the guests needs.
The gym is actually not very large compared to other five star hotels but offer everything you may need : performing machines, exercises carpets, television, towels...It is located in the spa so you can enjoy a relaxing turkish bath or a massage after sport.
I hope that you will come back to visit us soon, and this time, I assure you that you will not be stuck into the elevator !

Toulon, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Only reason this place gets two "blobs" is because the rooms are fine, the position good relative to where I needed to be and the decor is up to standard. If one of these things had been missing, this Accor would have had a slating by me - and I am a VERY loyal Accor customer staying in Accor properties at least 90 nights a year. But the staff in this place tried my patience from the moment the taxi pulled up. Let's look at it then:

1) A doorman so lazy and disinterested, he looked at his mobile phone when my Audi taxi pulled up from CDG airport. I expected at least a "bonjour" but got nothing, no assistance with my bag or even pointing me into reception. Not that he needed to - but I also saw him in action with other guests and his ill-temper to the fore throwing luggage on the ground one assumes to get a reaction or perhaps he is just no suited to his job. Other door staff were the same. Truly surprising.

2) Reception. Chilly - and that's not the weather. Bureaucrats in waiting who wouldn't know customer service if a brick fell on them. Not engaging at all and seemed to be more interested in ticking boxes than providing anything close to service that I expect at this price-point. In fact, in a One Star dump where we laid our heads en route Spain the other week, the service was exceptional compared to this. And THAT is not acceptable here or anywhere else.

3) The tall blonde in the breakfast room. A farce. Ill-tempered, incapable of providing service and she didn't care - well she did, only to make sure you'd paid the fee. Raising her voice and growling totally unacceptable - and it wasn't only me that had to suffer this.

4) On walking out, the door staff were huddled in a little group ignoring people. I asked for a taxi and was pointed at one as he turned to speak to his co-workers. Yep that's service.

5) Check-out. Told them exactly what I thought of the service - and it was essentially "Oh sorry, have a nice day". Why bother asking in the first place.

I will now expect the usual apologetic generic and bland email from the management on here - but it is much worse than that, and a conference call with Accor is on the schedule. The service was so dire, it has spurred me into action.

My lesson - when it's not broken, don't fix it - and I'll head over to the The Baltimore on Kleber in future - cheaper, nice staff (Sebastien and Frederic could teach this bunch of sour-faced amateurs loads).

Management - live up to your job titles - manage and fix the service levels.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank IanCar
Dear Guest,

How disappointing it is for me to read such severe comments. I am so sorry that you had to endure this succession of problems, please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

However, I am truly convinced that the bad experience you describe is due to an accumulation of punctual mistakes and does not reflect the quality of service we usually deliver at the Hotel Scribe.

Indeed, the Hotel Ambassadors are always complimented on their warm welcome and attitude. Everybody here is eager to help and answer all the guests needs, that is why I am really surprised and affected to read that you felt exactly the opposite. I admit that I have no explaination about these behaviours and I will definitely evoke your feeling with the concerned departments to avoid any occurence in the future. (Doormen, Breakfast and Reception).

Again, please accept my sincere apologies. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you next time and that you will give us a second chance to show you the real 5 star service we deliver.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed here with my mother for one week in December.
The hotel was a bit dated but well maintained.
Few minutes walk from airport bus stop, 10 minutes walk to Louvre, 40 minutes walk to Arc de Triomphe.
Weather wasn't good while we were there but the hotel provided us an umbrella.
Definitely we will stay at this hotel agian if we go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
SCRIBEParis, Directeur général at Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Littlesheep,

Thank you for your comment, and for telling us how good your stay was. It seems that you were not convinced by our decoration. The hotel was entirely refurbished in 2007 by the famous decorator Jacques Grange whose style is a mix between modern and ancient, in a typical Art Deco design.

As you mention, the weather is actually not always nice in January in Paris, however there is so much to do in our beautiful capital that we hardly notice it. I see you are from Canada and I suppose that you know what I mean !

I sincerely hope that you will come back to the Hotel Scribe for your next trip in Paris. We are expecting you !

Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Excellent location, quiet room at last floor, very good service and friendly staff, especially the ladies at the concierge where extremely helpful. Doorman was absent most of the time so I got my luggage in and out myself.
In our room there was no extra-shower so you had to step into the bathtub, which is a rather high step and with wet feet somehow slippery.
I cannot understand that in a hotel of that price class internet has to be paid extra. So we went to the Intercontinental on the other side of the street where the smartphone worked without paying.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rainer F
Dear Rainer F,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the Concierge Ladies gave you good advices !

However, you should not have carried your luggage yourself, this is unacceptable in a Five Star Hotel, please accept my sincere apologies. You can be sure that I will meet the doormen team and make sure they are always in front to welcome the guests, or in the lobby to help them before departure.

Wifi is entirely free everywhere in the hotel, you just have to connect to the "Free Access", and I am sorry that you had to go to another hotel to get this internet service.

Next time you come to visit us, do not hesitate to ask the Front Desk, they will be pleased to show you how it works.

Nyc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here during our honeymoon. We traveled through Belgium and France. Not only was this the least pleasant stay of our honeymoon, but it's actually the least pleasant stay I have ever have. Why?

First point of contact, the doorman was not proactive in helping us get the luggage out of our taxi, and he was not busy, when we asked for help it was done begrudgingly and not well. He actually tossed our luggage out of the taxi trunk onto the street. I have never seen that move before.

Second point of contact, the front desk, was civil, not warm or cordial. The bathroom in the lobby smelled worse than the bathroom on the Eurostar or Thalys trains. The smell was disgusting.

The room was clean and secure and maintained daily.

I was having trouble finding the gym, I asked one of the cleaning staff, she looked at her watch , looked back at me with disdain and raised her hand and vaguely pointed in a direction. For such a large hotel, the gym was small , very small, but it was clean.

The room service was quick, good and reliable.

The restaurant, we had a very unpleasant experience, where the tall blond woman raised her voice at me after I asked a question about seating. The restaurant was empty and I wasn't sure where to find our table.

At the end of our stay, per usual, the front desk asked us the obligatory, "How was your stay?" I responded with, I was a bit disappointed, we had a negative experience in the restaurant. The front desk offered us to speak with a manager but we had a train to catch. She offered to get us a taxi and we accepted. We waited over 15 minutes the taxi never showed. We took our own taxi. When I asked the doorman for help with the luggage he actually refused.

I stayed in the Sofitel in Fiji, and my experience was very positive. I think Sofitel needs to re-evaluate the management staff at this hotel. We were very disappointed. This was not a regular vacation, this was our honeymoon and the stay should have been extra special. No one on the staff went out of their way to be helpful, attentive or professional, let alone , go out of their way to make our stay memorable or special.

There are so many good and great hotels in Paris, there is no need to pay this rate and have this service. Stay somewhere else. Anywhere else. We had a great experience at Hotel Lancaster.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jhpmks125
Vincent A, Directeur général at Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am terribly sorry to read your comment, and the first thing I want to do is to express my sincere apologies for all these inconveniences you encountered. Your feedback is essential to improve our service everyday, and you can be sure that all the issues you raised will be evoked with the managers concerned.

I am surprised to read that our staff was not helpful nor courteous, as we are generally complimented on this point, however the doorman and the hostess behaviour you mentioned is unacceptable and I will take the necessary measures to avoid this kind of manners in the future.

Iis a pity we did not have the possibility to meet you before your departure. Our Guest Relation Manager would have been glad to tak about your stay with you and find appropriate compensation and solutions for your next stay at the Hotel Scribe.

I hope that you will give us a chance to better serve you in a near future and that we will make you change your mind by providing you a real Five star service.