“Great City Hotel”

Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel
Ranked #228 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband I stayed at this hotel for a weekend. The hotel is in a good location in the Opera area and is a good base to explore the city from as the metro station is only a short walk away.
The staff at the hotel were very accommodating, especially the concierge Linda who managed to book us a last minute request at Les Jalles on a Saturday night.
The rooms in the hotel were lovely but a little on the small side, however was perfect for us as we were only staying for the weekend. The Hermes toiletries were a nice touch in the bathroom, my only small gripe would be that the toilet is not in the actual bathroom but in a small cubicle like room next to it.
Overall the service was very good and the hotel was definitely Sofitel standard. The reason I have given this hotel 4 out of 5 would be purely because of the room size, everything else was top notch!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Being our 1st trip to Paris we valued a distinctive property that would deliver Parisienne charm and offer proximity to local shopping, amenities and attractions. Our 3rd floor (#369) room was tucked nicely into the alcove of the hall and offerred a quaint courtyard view with minimal noise.

Classic furnishings with sufficient storage throughout the room and Hermés toilletries in the bathroom complemented our stay. Daily french gourmet cookies and sweets were delivered to our room by late afternoon.They were a welcome treat each day after our excursions! Consistent with a french property (I believe) no ice machines are available. An ice bucket is available via room service at an expense. However, we purchased a few cold beverages and stored them in the mini-bar fridge. Complementary Evian water (2-3 bottles) is delivered daily with turn-down service.

Don't leave any change out as it may be forsaken for a tip to the housekeeping staff; unless you intend to do so. We accidently left about 12 euros in change on a wall mounted shelf by the TV when we left our room in the morning and discovered it went to the "domestic charity". We did not take offence to this issue as we would have likley left something upon our departure.

Being a small property, the dining room is the only main option for meals (other than room service) and is very expensive. Based on prior reveiws and that we prefer to explore local options and experience dining venues beyond a hotel, we did not eat on site. The afternoon sweets (which we suspect were contracted out) we a delight.

Having recently re-started a fitness regime, their gym was a disappointment. It is small, darkly painted and has cardio equipment as a focus (1 bike, 1 treadmill and 1 eliptical). In terms of resistence training, there was 1 small dumbbell with very small plates and a weight machine with plates (similar to a Universal; but not really). The weight machine was small and was limited in terms of potential exercises. Depending on your physical stature/ height, maneouvering around the machine may be difficult within its confined space. There were pins/clips missing in order to do certain exercises as well. We didn't notify Managment as being a 5 star property we felt it was more of their responsibility and being a vacation, exercise was a bonus not a necessity. My partner & I used the gym once; on a return visit there were 2 other hotel strangers using the cardio and weight machine. It seemed very crowded and awkward to use it at that point so I left.

Overall, we would recommend Hotel Scribe to others and would stay there again to capture a refined Parisienne experience.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C noise Request an interior courtyard room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Do not leave anything of value in your room. Use the safe at all times. In the morning I took out my outfit I was going to Moulin Rouge and left it on a coat hanger by the door. I hung my necklace,. a pendant of marquise with a black onyx in the centre, on a oxidised chain over the hoat hanger to see what it looked like. I forgot to put it away and when I returned to the room hours later it was gone. I reported the loss and asked them to send up the housekeeper. No one came to see me. Thats when I should have called in the police, as the woman at the desk couldn't have cared less. Firstly it was my fault for leaving it there accidently, the second fault was when I did not make enough fuss over this theft. I was on a tour and just didn't want to upset the tour group.
I loved that pendant.it was a present from my husband, and I had worn it every day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Auriane G, Responsable relations clients at Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Paris le Scribe.

I am sorry that you did not find your pendant when you returned to your room and please be assured that we have made all the investigations to find it. We perfectly know all our employees, they have been working in the hotel for years and we have never experienced this kind of incident before.

Beside, the interaction with the woman at the reception with regards to your comments is certainly not typical of our service. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.
Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling to Paris again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

Kind Regards
Auriane Galzin
Guest Relation Manager
+33 1 44 71 24 62
H0663-dm3@sofitel.com

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Our 2 day stay was interrupted by a sick better half at the American Hospital & ended up to be an 8 day stay. Thank goodness for the kindness of the staff & especially the much needed help from the concierge...since my French from school days is not conversational at all.
Service was certainly very helpful from the breakfast (full buffet~) to the great restaurant on the main floor w/ it's delightful menu & servers, & even ordering in our room was a treat.
Location is near the Opera - so when the cab says 'Opera' say 'oui'! Great Pierre Marcolini -Brussels candy next door. Don't miss that! Chocolate & macarons were calling my name! The double-decker sithtseeing buses are just down the street - the neon green bus has an office close by & the red bus picks up close to the hotel.
It was an unexpected 6plus days, but the bed & sheets were just heavenly. The 3rd floor with the Rue Scribe was a treat eventhough the bustle of construction across the street made for some daytime noise. The room with its beautiful window box was perfect! Small, but perfect! Hope to repeat this trip in better health soon as the staff really made lemonade out of lemons for us! Thanks again, Hotel Scribe!!! You are a 10 star in our books!.

Room Tip: I did not use the SPA, but would be tempted in the future.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MandMsAdventures
Reviewed August 23, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JM32_12
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we arrived til the moment we left, the red carpet service was rolled out. We were allowed to check in at 10 am to a very nice and spacious room. The location was perfect. Walking distance to all of the high end shopping and the Lourve. The metro was one block away and we used it daily. I couldn't been more pleased with our stay and definitely couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed: July 2012