“Sofitel or Novotel?”

Hotel Scribe Paris Opera by Sofitel
Ranked #220 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I love staying in sofitels because you know you will have a wonderful stay. The rooms are usually GREAT, the staff are always friendly and everything is perfect when I choose sofitel anywhere. Anywhere, except Paris. I decided to stay there because I know the landmark, and I thought this hotel would be just as any other sofitel. But it isn´t. Basically because of the room. The location is good, the breakfast is very good, the bed is comfortable and the staff are ALWAYS nice and friendly! The concierges and people of reception are nice, kind, efficient.The spa is very good also. But the rooms... well, they are NOT a sofitel´s room! They are old. They are not antique. They are really old, and just too small, and the bathroom is not beautiful at all. I know it is an ancient building and all that, but they could preserve the façade and redecorate and change the interior of the rooms. I am sure I will try another hotel next time in Paris. To have a great room is something really important to me!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sicarolina

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed three nights in this beautiful and historical parisian building where the Lumière brothers invented cinema in 1895.
Our large junior suite, located just under the roof, consist of living room, bed room, bathroom and separated toilet. King size bed was soft, like a cloud. WiFi was free and its speed was adequate. But what we really love when staying in Sofitel are the Hermès toiletries and the quality of service.
This time the service had, however, some minor problems. We didn't, for example, receive newspapers in any mornings even if it was included our room price and in two days fresh bakeries, also part of the price, weren't delivered to our room. Naturally, we got them after calling to room service. Anyway, we couldn't enjoy peace of mind.
The hotel doesn't have sauna but it offers (smelly) hammam and whirlpool bath tub instead.
We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel because of its terrible price and the fact that Paris is full of charming and quite inexpensive cafés.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ohlwb
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel is in located near the Paris Opera House and closeby is the subway. There are many places to eat and shop; a restaurant exists every few feet apart. My stay at the hotel was terrific. The hotel staff is fantastic. The breakfast buffet each morning was very enjoyable and the staff was friendly and efficient. It was the most helpful concierege experience that I have ever enjoyed when visiting a hotel. Some friends and I spent time in the bar at the hotel and the bartended whipped up a flaming drink for us, free of charge. He was so nice; they kept bringing out nuts and chocolates for us to eat. I didn't check out on time because I got lost in the city, but when I returned, I was allowed to retrieve my luggage at no additional charge. We were made to feel most welcome. The people in the streets of Paris are often rude and the warnings about pickpockets are everywhere, but at this hotel, my experience could not have been better. Everyone there was very kind and the hotel is very lovely.

Room Tip: I can't say other than that I didn't experience any noise or inconvenience of any kind.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jadakalie
Reviewed July 21, 2012

From the moment you walk in, the staff is extremely friendly. The rooms are fairly sized (for Paris), the bed was extremely comfortable, the water pressure was great, the overall facilities were immaculately clean. The concierge was helpful in booking reservations, answering questions, and giving recommendations. Overall an excellent experience. The only thing that I was a bit disappointed about was that breakfast was included in my rate and the receptionist failed to mention that when I checked in. Otherwise, would absolutely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nitza M
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The staff were all helpful. Service was always excellent. Concierge staff were helpful showing us ways to get to the various tourist sites. Asian breakfast buffet is an extra point. Location is perfect. It is by the opera house and you can walk there. Subway system is close by. Numerous family members from the middle east royal family where there with their helpers!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank yknip
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed in many Paris hotels. Dozen of times and every time - in a different hotel. As usual the staff is egocentric, those people tend to treat you as a one more guest in an endless line of visitors. Not here. I was surrounded by very warm approach from start to end. The facilities are modern and generally come in line with Sofitel standards. The location is superb - walking distance to Grande Boulevards, Opera, Louvre, major shopping venues. You get the best for money spent. For sure I'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Albert T
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Paris is a beautiful city, with a rich history and culture. This hotel felt comfortable, but was not special. It felt as any other five star chain hotel, very good but not special. We were given a first floor suite, quite spacious for Paris, with high ceilings, tastefully decorated and furnished to a high standard. The staff for the rest of our stay were both excellent and terrible. Some were pleasant and considerate, bending over backwards to accommodate our needs. Without wishing to sound prejudiced, often in France I find that some of the staff, most especially the waiters/waitresses, can be quite discourteous and often unhelpful. This was indeed the case. At breakfast, for example, we were given quite small tables, which once we had gone through fruit and pastries, was left full of our empty plates, tea and coffee. Not once in the entire week we spent there did any of the staff think to clear the table, even though some were chatting in the corner doing nothing. As a tea and neatness fanatic myself, when I am forced to place my teapot upon a dirty plate, I simply give up all hope! In the chinese tea room, refreshing though it was to see some natives working there, neither their english nor french was comprehensible. I somehow, having completed an arduous conversation with a waitress, managed to place an order for white tea, a club sandwich, and a rather creamy pastry, even though all I desired was black tea and an chocolate eclair! Nevertheless I should like to recommend the club sandwich...! Overall excellent practically speaking, but I should not recommend the Hotel Scribe to tourists looking to experience Parisian charm and culture.

Room Tip: The higher floors have low ceilings and tend to be hot in summer, athough this is not always the cas...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family