“Very bad experience - would not recommend”

Ibis Paris Sacre Coeur 18eme
Ranked #1,134 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Very bad experience - would not recommend”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My stay here from start to finish was awful. Upon arrival the staff were not friendly, and spent ages retrieving the luggage I had stored away. The room for the luggage was tiny and I had to wait around until they located it. We booked a room for two people, the room had a very bad smell as the sink was blocked. I was surprised the hotel gave out the room to a paying guest when the smell was terrible - definitely not a nice smell for anyone to sleep in.The hotel staff did not seem to appreciate the problem and was slow to resolve the problem properly and even asked what was wrong with the room and they made me feel unwelcome. I will definitely not be returning to this hotel or be recommending this to anyone. Extremely bad customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank StrawberryMoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in mid July. Room was on 8th floor so had to use the 2 person lift - the tiniest lift I have ever seen! Reception staff very offhand - felt I was a nuiscance for asking for a map, which was just slapped down on the counter. Room was small but clean. Shower would have benefitted from a longer curtain - water all over the floor. Location is great ; minutes to Montmartre, Sacre Coeur and 2 metro stations.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Having read the reviews I was somewhat concerned about this hotel; however I was quite impressed The double room we stayed in for the 3 nights we stayed in Paris, was a good size as was the bathroom. The room was clean and tidy and functional. there was a big flat screen telly and free wifi. the hotel Is only a 10 -15 min walk from the train station and has an underground station right outside. It is literally around the corner from the beautiful Montmartre and the sacre coeur cathedral. During our stay we went to a concert at the stade de france which was very easy to get to from the hotel, due to its location within the city and good transport links. The lift is tiny though so if you suffer from claustrophobia head straight for the stairs. I would def stay here again

• Stayed June 2013
Troon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

four star budget hotel
stayed before marathon.very handy for getting to start line.
Slept well,no noise day or night.
ate breakfast with other runners before marathon.
interesting area.
would not be against staying again if running the marathon.A different trip to Paris may warrant a stay in a different location.
Clean,handy and central.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank merkelmoo
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I came here for a concert at the nearby La Cigale.
First of all, if you want to go to La Cigale, you won't get much closer than this.
I checked in without any fuss and was allocated a room on the 9th floor. The receptionist informed me the lift only went to the 8th and I'd have to take the stairs to get to the 9th. Ok no problem so far.
I got the room using the tiniest lift in the world. The room was very small and basic, but ok for a bed for the night on my own I thought. Now I'm one for checking fire escapes before I get too comfy, that's just the way I am. This room had one 'normal' escape (the stairs I walked up to from the lift). The other escape was via a ladder fixed to the wall outside my window. If something doesn't feel right it usually isn't, so picked up my bag and asked to change rooms to one with two fire escapes.
The now surly receptionist informed me there were no other available rooms in the hotel. After a bit of messing round she said I couldn't change because I had sat on the bed, which I technically had. After reassuring her the room was basically untouched (including the bathroom) she went to inspect it. When she verified everything I'd said was true she magically found another room on the 5th floor with 2 escape routes. I immediately felt better about that.
On getting to the room it smelt of stale cigarette smoke but I didn't fancy asking to change again. I went to the bathroom and noticed there was no toilet paper. No problem, I'll just call reception and ask for some. My new friend at reception then told me to come down and get some. A little surprised, I did just that to preserve French-Anglo relations...
To cut a long story short, the hotel served its purpose, but I would definitely choose a different hotel next time. Ask for a room on the lower floors, as they do seem a bit safer if you ever needed to get out.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank AndoNagasaki

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for three nights, from 2 to 4 June 2013, when we traveled to Paris to watch the French Open. I had read many of the negative reviews here, but I had no qualms about staying in a small room and using a cramped elevator. I was thinking that it could be worse, as cheaper hotels may very well not have an elevator at all. I was surprised, however, by how small the elevator actually is. Strangely enough, the elevator is housed in a column in the middle of the hotel lobby, rather than being recessed into a wall. So it is no exaggeration that the elevator is just big enough for just one person, as it will be too intimate to share with someone who is not your significant other.

As for the room, the small size was fine with me - as many reviews point out, you tend not to spend much time in your room when in Paris. The problem was that it started to become quite summery when we arrived in Paris, when it was cold and clammy just the previous week. Indeed, the temperature had reached 27 C by the time we left. We noticed that the air-conditioning wasn't working. When we called the reception, we were told that someone would check it out. No one came, however, despite the ibis commitment to resolve all problems within 15 minutes, otherwise "you are our guest". We eventually went down to the reception to follow up the problem, only to be told that the A/C was turned on in "summer", and it was still "too early" to turn it on. We asked when "summer" started, as it was already June. To my mind, June does not qualify for any other season but summer. We were advised that the A/C would be turned on only in mid-June, and that this was the policy across all ibis hotels. We pointed out that we were given a different answer just a few minutes earlier, but the A/C remained off. The room was therefore very stuffy, and we had to open the window. This of course allowed noise from the street to filter in, making it difficult to sleep. Even with the windows closed, it was still rather difficult to get a good night's sleep as the walls of the room are very thin, such that you can hear conversations and the TV in the adjoining room.

As for the bathroom, the shower cubicle is very small, such that if you're heavily built or fat, you will find it too tight. In addition, the shower curtain was useless, such that water spills out onto the bathroom floor when you take a shower.

On our second night, we returned to the hotel and discovered that our room had not been cleaned. We made it a point to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign when we went down for breakfast to ensure that the room would not be in the process of being cleaned when we went back up to brush our teeth and wash up before heading out for the day. When we eventually left the hotel for the day, we would reverse the sign to indicate that housekeeping could enter and make the room. It appeared that the sign had been reversed for some reason (possibly due to the fact that the door of the adjoining room was right next to and perpendicular to our door, and therefore the guest in the adjoining room could have inadvertently brushed the sign causing it to flip over to "Do Not Disturb"). We complained about this, pointing out that even if the "Do Not Disturb" sign had been on, the housekeeping staff should have first cleaned the other rooms and returned to our room to confirm that we indeed did not want the room to be cleaned before they left for the day. Had they done this and discovered that no one was in the room, they should have proceeded to clean the room. As the housekeeping staff had left already, all the hotel could do was provide us with a clean set of towels.

The following morning, I went to the toilet 7 a.m. and discovered that it would not flush. Still being sleepy, I did not want to report the toilet yet and hoped that it would work later that morning. Getting up again at 9 a.m., the toilet still would not flush. We reported the toilet, and we then heard some water running, and the flush then began to work.

We therefore complained about these three major problems when we checked out: (1) the room not being cleaned; (2) the toilet not flushing; and (3) the air-conditioning not being turned on. We noted the ibis 15-minute promise, and inquired as to what it meant that we would be their "guest" if a problem was not resolved within 15 minutes. We spoke to the manager, and to the hotel's credit, we were reimbursed for the cost of one night. I pointed out that I was a loyal ibis customer, having stayed at the ibis hotel just down the road at Montmartre, as well as in their hotels in Belgium (Brussels and Bruges) and the Netherlands (The Hague), and noted that the standard at this hotel was far lower than these other ibis hotels.

As for the breakfast, it wasn't bad for EUR 9. I only wish that there were more meat options, as only ham was provided, along with crepes, cereals, bread, croissants, etc. At other ibis hotels, a wider selection of cold cuts is served at breakfast. There is nevertheless a McDonald's nearby where you can have a quick and cheap breakfast.

As the other reviews have pointed out, this hotel does have a great location, although the immediate surroundings and the graffiti-strewn facade of the hotel itself look quite seedy. The Anvers Metro stop is 5 minutes away, while the Pigalle Metro stop, which was what we used to get to Roland Garros, is around 10-15 minutes away. You do get what you pay for with this hotel, as it is significantly cheaper than the ibis hotel (Montmartre) a few blocks away. The size and quality of the rooms, the level of service, the quality of breakfast, and the overall ambiance at ibis Montmartre are substanially better though. So bottom line: book this hotel if you want to stay in a private ensuite room at a good location for a very reasonable price for Paris, but be prepared for an uncomfortable stay. You may very well get away with having a hassle-free stay, as other reviewers have, and if you do, consider yourself lucky. If you do have problems, assert your rights so you are properly compensated. If you're a light sleeper, bring some earplugs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the street so you hear less of the vehicular traffic.