“the worst hotel experience of my life”
Review of Hotel Aladin

Hotel Aladin
Ranked #1,537 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Canada
“the worst hotel experience of my life”
Reviewed August 17, 2008

This is a hotel to be avoided. It is overpriced for what it is, it is not clean, and the proprietor is dishonest. I booked the hotel on-line through 123france (beware of this booking service), accepting that the reviews were honest, and the photos of the rooms were accurate. I was wrong, they were nothing like on the web-site. My room was tiny - tiny!!, grundgy, dirty and noisy. The proprietor refused to make amends, provide another room, nor refund my money. I found another hotel in the same arrondisement with a larger room for almost half the price. I warn everyone to avoid this hotel, there is so much better in Paris for the same price.

I am not one of those North Americans that expect everything to be like it is "at home", and I have travelled in Europe and elseswhere. However, this was beyond the pale unacceptablely bad and dirty. I would expect more in a third-world country let alone from the "City of Light". The Hotel Aladin gives Paris a bad name.
Stay away fro this place.

Stayed June 2008
2 Thank canadaworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
LA
Reviewed July 30, 2008

The family that runs the hotel is lovely and very trustworthy and very friendly. The hotel is well located in a quiet neighborhood near some wonderful coffee shops and a nice walk to the Luxembourg Gardins. If price, safety, and location are all you care about, its probably a great hotel.

However - The single room I was in was rather Dirty and it was TINY. I think the sheets were clean, but the towels were torn and had brown spots on them, and the carpets and walls were filthy and stained. And again, TINY I'm only 5'1" and thin, but I found the shower nearly impossible to navigate (when I dropped my soap, there wasn't enough room to bend over and pick it up)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Filthy
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Metairie
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We spent a week at the Hotel Aladin. The manager/owner and his family were extremely pleasant to us. The room, though small, was sufficient. The shower worked very well. We appreciated the quiet location and the nearness of the underground, which we travelled the entire week. Most importantly was the honesty that we experienced. The first morning we went down to breakfast and I brought my purse down. I left the purse next to the table when we returned to the room. About thirty minutes later I told my husband that I had left my purse downstairs. I had over $1,000 U. S. and over $10,000 of jewelry, passport, credit cards, etc. I knew that I would never see that purse again. However, we went down to the reception desk and the wife was in the breakfast room. I inquired about my purse. She said her husband had it upstairs. He brought it down and not a single thing was missing. We travel about six months out of the year and have had a few mishaps and never have we experienced such honesty. We love the area and the kindness of the people and would not hesitate to return to the Hotel Aladin.

• Liked — Price, location, quietness, honesty of management.
  • Disliked — Beds are a bit hard but they worked for us.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Jean B
west midlands
Reviewed September 12, 2007

hotel aladin was clean but basic, breakfast typical continental, bread, croissant ,juice and coffee, good location 2 min walk from nearest metro les goeblins, easy to walk to notre damme approx 25 mins down rue le monge all in all a satisfactory stay at the aladin was had by my wife and myself. rooms are not the best but you get what you pay for and after all you only sleep in the room so whats the problem if its basic.

• Liked — area
  • Disliked — langauge difficulties
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Aladin for 3 nights, and our twin room was lovely - bright [looked out over the quiet Rue des Cordelieres], cheery, clean and comfortable.

Two metro stops and shops were close by, 7-10 minute walk, and the fabulous Rue Mouffetard about 10-15 minutes walk.

The Hotel management and staff were all delightful, very kind and friendly, and helped make our stay very pleasant.

At 81 Euro per night ($A127 / $USD112) for two per night, I can definitely recommend this hotel.

PS - the small bathroom had a very tiny shower, as do most older French hotels because of the limited space in the sometimes centuries-old buildings. If you are slightly larger than a 'normal' size, you might ask if they have rooms with bathtubs instead.

A computer was available for internet access at a small additional fee.

You simply must visit the wonderful inexpensive Creole restaurant - Cafe Couleurs in rue Pascal. When you step out of the hotel, turn left and then left again - easy walking distance.

• Liked — The room was great
  • Disliked — Tiny tiny shower
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Hertfordshire, England
Reviewed February 20, 2007

We were apprehensive about our stay because of some adverse reviews about this hotel but we had no cause for complaint. Bearing in mind that the Aladin is a 2 star hotel, our room, opening onto the inner courtyard, was clean, very quiet, cool and comfortable - everything worked and the modest shower room was fully equipped with clean towels and toiletries. Our continental breakfast each morning was fresh and quickly served and all the staff were friendly and helpful at all times. We spent little time at the hotel, as much time was occupied visiting the 'Retromobile' historic car exhibition and other sights in Paris (including the Picasso Museum and Pere Lachaise Cemetary), but it was always pleasant to return to our room at the hotel to relax at the end of each day.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Nettledell
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2006

My husband and I have many fond memories of our trip to France a few years ago, but this hotel is not part of them.

We arrived about 30 minutes after the check-in time, only to find that our room was not ready. We were told that we could wait in the lobby until the room was ready, but they did not seem at all concerned that they were putting us out. After about 15 minutes, someone informed us that the room was ready. Once we entered the room, it was obvious that it had not been cleaned. There were crumbs on the desk, dirty towels in the bathroom, and dirty sheets on the bed. We thought maybe they had given us the wrong room key by mistake, so we went back downstairs to figure it out. They told us that someone could take a look at the room, so we decided to go out, hoping it would be clean upon our return.

It was not. And when we complained again, they told us the room looked fine. We asked for a different room and they refused. I was so upset that we decided to leave and look for another hotel, aware that we would be charged for the night. But they insisted on charging us for the following night as well. We said this did not make any sense as we had not yet stayed the night, but were charged two nights anyway. This was the rudest person I have ever encountered in the service industry.

Luckily we found another hotel (Hôtel de Londres Eiffel) that was able to take us in, even at the late hour, and the rest of our trip was wonderful. That staff was wonderful at our new hotel, a refreshing change from the Aladin.

• Stayed September 2003