“Comfortable and friendly”

Hotel Elysees Opera
Ranked #1,127 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Stayed in a small but very clean double room over a long weekend. Found the staff friendly and helpful yet unobtrusive. We had a problem with a pay-per-view film and the cost was refunded without question or hassle. One star lost for two reasons: the towels were pretty poor quality and very small, and the breakfast was not as advertised (no hot dishes). However, would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a package deal, don't go direct with hotel
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chinobu

Reviewed April 17, 2011

We turned up to book in and our room wasnt ready, which was fine as we made ourselves busy. The first night we sweated in our room as the air con didnt work, when we asked the next day, we were told that it was uncharacteristically hot so we were not entitled to aircon, even though they say they have it in the room. When we checked in we were told there was breakfast included each day, to which we each had a basic croissant and coffee. When we went to check out we were charged 15 euro each for breakfast by the lady, when we explained that we had been told it was included and that we hadnt eaten each morning she turned rude and nasty and started yelling at us.
We felt so threatened that even though our train left that night, our things werent safe so we went and checked into another hotel for the day.

I have travelled for 4 years and never been spoken to so rudely like this lady from the hotel did. She was so rude. We had a poor shower and our breakfast was a rip off. We kept asking for internet and they said they had it but we couldnt connect.

There are so many better places to stay in Paris and not have to out up with someone yelling at you like this lady did.. I have never ever come across this. and I am always polite.

Room Tip: Dont stay hear.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Chloe197777
Reviewed March 29, 2011

The hotel was very comfortable and clean. Its location was very good. From the hotel you can reach several metro stations and railway station by foot in a short period of time. Especially it is important to say that the staff of the hotel was very helpful and helped us a lot in planning our stay in Paris.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2011

The elysees opera hotel was perfect for a weekend break - 5 minutes walk from moulin rouge and metro stops, it is easy to get to all the main attractions. There are plenty of cafes, bars and restaurants near the hotel, some that have happy hours so making it cheaper to drink for a couple of hours!

The hotel itself was perfect, rooms are quite small but fine for staying in a city where you shouldn't need to be in the hotel a great deal! Breakfast was lovely, easy to fill yourself up with croissants, cold meats and cereal etc. Staff in breakfast room as well as on reception were friendly and spoke good English. Hotel was a bit difficult to find at first - go to the place de clichy metro and look out for the hippopotamus restaurant (which does a good set menu for 20 euros!), the hotel is then a 2 min walk from here.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel exceeded my expectations when we arrived as I am always a bit weary of how good the star quality of hotels are in different countries. We were greeted pleasantly and were allowed to check into our room earlier than stated as we arrived at about 10am.
The room itself was very clean, good temperature and the decor was pleasing. It was a room that you could actually look forward to relaxing in after a long day out! the bed was comfortable but the duvet was very thick meaning it got quite hot a night but you could always turn on the aircon.
The staff (both reception and housekeeping) were all very friendly. The breakfast was simple as expected, with cereal, toast, croissants, cold meats, cheese, yoghurts etc, but it was good enough to get you started for the day.
The location was good, it was about a 30 - 40 minute walk to eiffel tower, the louvre, and was situation near to the moulin rouge which had many restuarants/cafes nearby. also close to a few metro stations (which can be easy to use if you are familiar with london underground, maybe easier to use than ldn!)
Overall, it made our Paris trip very memorable and would definately return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2010

The hotel itself is relatively nice and in a good location, but if I ever go back to Paris I will NEVER stay at this hotel ever again.

When we arrived to the hotel we were told there was a problem with our room...we had booked a double room for 4 nights and the lady on reception told us we had to go in 2 single rooms for the first night as there was an old lady in our room! Then we would have to change again and go in a double room. We said this was ok as there wasn't anything we could do about it but explained that we would prefer to just stay in the single rooms as it was inconvenient for us to move rooms. We paid the rate for a double room for 4 nights on arrival...we did not get any compensation for being put in the wrong rooms which was their mistake.

We asked at reception on 4 different occasions if we can stay in the single rooms for the duration of the stay as we did not want to pack out things up again. move rooms and unpack again...everytime the person on reception would not give us a yes or no and just said they will need to speak to the manager on Monday morning. On the Monday morning we packed our things as we were told to in case we had to move rooms, and then left for the day to go on a tour. The next day they told us they tried to contact us on monday and left a message on my phone however this did not happen...we had been out all day and got back late at night...we were not told we had to change rooms so we just went back to the single rooms.

The next morning we were abruptly stopped by an extremely rude lady on reception who demanded we paid two extra nights for the single rooms we had stayed in...we did not understand why we were being told we had to pay for 2 nights more because we had already paid for 4 nights. After nearly 30minutes of trying to explain to this woman what had happened we didn't get anywhere...we got no apology and they just didnt seem to see the situation from out point of view. No one had told us there would be an extra charge if we stayed in the single rooms, and no one had ever come back to us about having to move rooms...if they couldnt reach us on my phone they could have easily put a note under our bedroom doors or left a message at reception.

We spoke to the manager the same afternoon when he finally arrived, and he basically threatened us and said 'if we didn't pay right now we have to pack our bags and leave'. I have never felt more unwelcomed and i have never experienced this at a hotel before. It ruined our whole experience as we felt we had been robbed of our money...we basically paid more money for a mistake they had made, had to change rooms, and never received an apology.

This hotel needs a new manager and staff who do not have an attitude.

You would think they would have learnt to be pleasant and respect the guests after the number of reviews on this website that say the staff are rude.

Absolutely disgusted with their service.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
8  Thank bexbing24
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I have just stayed at this hotel and all was well until first day, where i walked miles and found the uphill home walk very tiring, and so if you have any difficulties with walking this is not the place for you.If you know the metro ideal..The map was so small,and if you do not mark the hotel position this can also cause problem.You need to enlarge the map, especially at night when unfamiliar surroundings. and unless good with a map and at night, this might not be the hotel for you.Room clean & all BUT......I came home after a very long day of touring and recognised the gentleman from previous night ,where he checked who I was and what room I was in, nothing else,.but the next evening with guests checking in and in front of two girls, also exasperated by this man asking for their room key,, I was literally admonished for not leaving my key with him.This was not told to me when I arrived and was not written on the pamphlet that I was given, but to be spoken to at my age 56, I still have no idea how someone can have guests at the the hotel and not treat customers with respect..I have stayed all over the world and was shocked .I was also told the reason i should leave my heavy key, was so that they knew where I was, and would not leave without paying my bill.I have to say I was stunned and upon early the next morning and this man still there I complained to the young lady whoI think did not care at all as she was just the worker.Also French was then spoken, whilst I was still waiting to be picked up for a day tour,spoken around the corner where i was,most rude especially when you undertsand what they are saying.This truly, in this day and age, should be a wakeup call for those using Trip Advisor to not support those that cannot manage something that is free, respect to your client.Also everything cost a fortune one night Pay TV enormous cost,other choice only French channles limited access to English but does have CNN & BBC.Would never stay there again on principal, there are many other hotels out there willing to do the right thing for their clients.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo