“overrated with 4 stars”

Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture
Ranked #342 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 25, 2013

disappointing
mini bar filled with one little bottle of sparkling water
no glass of champagne offered as announced etc etc
no fresh bread or danish pastry at breakfast
pour choice of charcuterie and cheese

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Marco C, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Customer,

thank you for the time you took to share your feedback.

We regret not to have met your expectations this time and took good note of your comments which will help us to improve our service and product in the future.

We really look forward to have the pleasure to welcoming you to our property for another occasion.

All the best,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We tried the Etoile Saint Honore based on the very positive reviews on Trip Advisor, and the seamingly good value for money, but were disappointed. The hotel is currently being refurbished "on the cheap", the service does not live up to 4 stars and the decoration is not very inspiring.
We will certainly not return to the Etoile Saint Honore, there are many much better hotels in Paris!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

first and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing this comment.

We took good note of your comments and regret not to have met your expectations this time.

We hope to have the possibility to show you that we Worth your patronage.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My first impression of the hotel and the room is that they were rather spacious for a hotel in Paris. The staff is helpful and friendly, rooms are clean, breakfast is great. The hotel is only 10 minutes away from the Champs Elysees and Arc de Triumph, 10 minutes away from 2 metro stations. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank H R
Marco C, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comments and would like to express our happines in Learning that you have a good time with us and you liked our property.

Your comments represent an additional motivation for the whole team working hard to keep the service up to our customers' expectations.

We all look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back!

Warmest regards

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have stayed two nights at the hotel as part of the annual Choice points redemption sale for 8,000 a night, which is a steal no matter how one looks at it. This was my fourth hotel for the trip (the others where the IC Park Lane London, Andaz London and the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris). So I will admit that my frame of reference is somewhat skewed. However the review is as fair as I can give.

I booked the room as Executive Queen Room for 8,000 points a night. I doubt that I had received that type of room. The room I’ve got (507) was in the old building and seems to be one of the smallest rooms in the hotel. The bed sure did not look like any Queen size bed I’ve ever seen. It probably was a Double bed at best. For 8,000 points a night it was satisfactory but I would have been very upset if I had paid full price (almost 300 Euro a night for the dates I was in the hotel) for the same room.

As other noticed the elevators are tiny. It is to be expected in an old building that was upgraded with elevators, however, they are really small. Once I got my suitcase with me into the elevator there was literally no room for anyone else. That said, I never had to wait too long for an elevator. The room itself was clean and the bed comfortable. However, the air-conditioning and warming does not seems to work. I was surprised that when I turned the unit on it was set on 30 degrees Celsius, but it was clear that it was never warmed the room at all. So I did not used it. Luckily it was not too cold.

The hotel tries to differentiate themselves by offering additional services for free. Those include WiFi, breakfast, dinner reception and free minibar. It is a nice thought, but I think it is more of a marketing ploy than a real benefit, at least for some of the items. WiFi was generally strong and worked almost all the time. Signing in into it though is a different matter. For those of your who use iPad and iPhone – the trick is to first disable popup blocking (yes, believe it or not the confirmation page is a popup page), and after connecting to the network open a new browser window (just refreshing already open window will not do). Once I’ve figured that out (about 3 hours) the WiFi worked without a problem.

Breakfast was acceptable with the usual spread one is expected to see. Nothing outstanding or especially bad. Fully functional as a breakfast. The evening reception on the other hand is a very low key event. In the one night I went down for it, it boiled down to be some cheese, some meet cuts, a tiny bowl of pasta and some bread. Not really something to be excited about. The minibar is indeed free, but it is stocked every 3 days only. It include 6 (yes that is correct – six) items (2 waters, 2 sodas and 2 juices) as well as one bag of chips. True it was free, but when one adversities free minibar, one expect a little more than that.

Other observations – on the first night the TV did not work. Turned out it was not plugged in, nor was the minibar. It might be the previous guest that had done so, but I would expect the housekeeping staff to make sure the room is ready for the next guest. One evening I was in the room with the door locked only to have a housekeeping person walk into the room (what is the point of having the door locked then?). The walls are not noise proof. I could hear every time my neighbor took a shower, watched TV, as well as do some other things. Street noise is also very prominent. On check out I requested a taxi, and was offered a fixed rate one – luckily I asked what was the rate (35 Euro to the train station, for what I knew should not be more than 15 Euro ride at 8 o’clock in the morning on a Sunday). At least they asked and not just booked me one, but I would expect them to know which one is going to be more economical.

The location of the hotel is good, but not ideal. It is about 15-minute walk from 3 metro station, but none of them is really close. The condition of the hallways and the building leaves a lot to be desired. Old warned out carpets, paint chipping, and general poor conditions of the hallways. It is not surprising as they are so small that luggage must hit them every day.

All in all, it was OK for 8,000 points. Paying the going rate – probably not.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank MDDCFlyer

Dear Customer,

first and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comment.

We took good note about your suggestions and comments and wish to thank you for your loyalty with our group.

We hope to have the great pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the very next future.

Best regards

Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is a great location 2-3 blocks from Arch d Triumphe and Champs Elessyle and a nice hotel. The rooms are American large with a full bath. The complimentary full breakfast is also excellent with several options including cooked eggs and sausages. We got a good deal through Tripadvisor and Otel. Only 2 cautions (1)if you are sensitive to noise bring a white noise devise as it is near a police station and the hotel itself is fairly noisy and (2) double check on your wake up call.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce D B
DOUIEB, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comments and are proud to learn that you enjoyed our property.

We took good note of your comments and will follow up on them with the objective of a continous improvement of our service.

We look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the very next future.

best regards

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we had a wonderful stay.

The hotel is in a central location within walking distance of a large number of attractions and landmarks, and it's close to a variety of restaurants. Each day we were able to plan our trips and meals out with ease.

Breakfast is included in the price as well as some afternoon snacks and two free glasses of champagne - perfect to toast our anniversary.

The staff were friendly and helpful, especially with advising us on which tours were available to view the sights of the city.

I can't recommend this hotel enough and would certainly book it again for a return trip to Paris.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ceke86
DOUIEB, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Customer,

first and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comments with this community.

We are extremely proud that your wedding anniversary with us has been a memorable one and hope to be your preferred destination for your future anniversaries and special occasions.

Looking forward to the great pleasure of welcoming yiou back to our property in the very next future, we remain

with our best regards

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in Paris over the last few years for business. This hotel has been particularly convenient for work, however I would recommend this for anyone staying on holiday too. This is also very close to the Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe. The hotel has been refurbished and I think has had a new wing built at the back.

Rooms are very spacious and very clean compared to most hotels in Paris. Staff are always friendly and eager to help. Breakfast in usually included and again is a lot better than other hotels I have stayed at. The complimentary mini-bar and wifi access all adds value.

Will always try and stay here when in Paris.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Deep_Selvarajan
DOUIEB, Directeur général at Hotel Etoile Saint-Honore by HappyCulture, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Customer,

first and foremost we wish to thank you for the time you took for sharing your comment with this community.

We would like to express our gratitude for the wonderful feedback and we are extremely happy to learn that you discovered us and come back again in the future.

This adds more and more motivation to our team trying to meet and exceed our customers' expectations on a daily basis.

We look forward to the great pleasure of welcoming you to our property in the very next future.

Warmest regards