“The start of a perfect honeymoon!”

La Maison Champs Elysees
Ranked #352 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
“The start of a perfect honeymoon!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Everyone was EXTREMELY courteous and helpful, guiding us to where we wanted to go, even though our French was horrible. The hotel itself is beautiful and very nicely decorated. The highlight of our stay was lunch. I ordered the chef's special and during our entire cross-europe trip it was the best meal I have eaten. I can't thank the staff for making my wife feel so welcome and at ease. This was the first time she has visited another country and she was just so happy to have interacted with such kind, friendly people. You really made our honeymoon special right from the start. Merci beaucoup!

This was the thank you I sent in my review, I feel it sums up my opinion.. but I forgot the free champagne!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel during a long weekend. The hotel is located very conveniently near the Champs Elysees, about a 15 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and close to Franklin Roosevelt metro stop on line 1. It was easy to get taxis and was about a EUR10-15 from most major sites like St Germain, Jardins Luxumbourg, Places de Vosges, Gare du Nord etc.

The reception is nicely decorated with a comfortable (and trendy) waiting room off to the side. There is a restaurant / bar on the way to the elevators past reception. We had drinks there one night. It wasn't cheap (EUR 12-15 per glass of wine), but the ambiance was nice and the service was good. I was hungry and their kitchen had closed,but they offered us a fruit bowl, which was a massive bowl of fresh fruit for just EUR 8.00.

The room itself was nice - I was on a girls' trip so we had two single beds next to each other. The beds themselves were very very comfortable - it was hard to get out of bed in the morning. The room was a good size for Paris, and the bathroom was modern and large. The toiletries were plentiful and of good quality. There were lots of free movies available, which was nice.I didn't love the carpeting in the rooms, but that may just be personal preference.

The service at reception was courteous and efficient. I was travelling with someone who was fluent in French, which was helpful, but the reception dealt equally kindly with my requests / questions in English and had some great maps on hand.

Unlike many of the other reviews I read about this hotel, my stay here was very positive and I would consider returning. Paris is generally expensive for nice hotel rooms, so I wouldn't exactly say that there was a lot of "value" in staying at this hotel. However, compared to other places I have stayed in Paris, this hotel did the job, was trendy and had an excellent location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank wanderingnomad111
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Let's start by saying that I was fairly excited about staying at this hotel; I normally stay at a different place nearby, but had heard wonderful things about this place and looked forward to enjoying the Margiela design.

When I checked in, I was escorted to my room and the bellman explained that there were two buildings. "One," he said, "has been recently renovated and was designed by Martin Margiela. The other," he continued, "is not. That is where you are staying."

They are misleading when they say the hotel is designed by Martin Margiela. The common areas and certain suites are, the rest looks no better than a well-appointed Comfort Inn.

The staff makes an effort but usually fails. I was sick one day and ordered room service for lunch. Something simple, a salad and a sandwich. An hour later, it had not arrived; when I called down, I was informed that the chef was out, so there was nothing that could be done. That's ridiculous -- this is a five star hotel, and the chef "is out"? I asked if there was anything that could be sent up, they said they could do a cheeseburger pretty quickly, which I accepted. 30 minutes later, my original order was sent up. I guess the chef came back? The whole experience was ludicrous, and compounded by the fact that no one felt the need to inform me about any of these delays until 60 minutes had passed and I followed up. This meal, along with all others I ate there, was at best average.

This is just an example; other absurd moments happened. I was travelling for work, booked my by corporate travel agent, and staying for an extended period, which I do fairly frequently. After four days, I found a note under my door saying only "please come to the reception to make a payment." Puzzled, I went down to the reception to ask about it. No one had any clue what kind of payment I was expected to make. After 20 minutes, they ascertained I had to pay for the first four days of my stay, and the remainder after check out -- a very unusual request, as they had my credit card on file and had placed a hold on it like every other hotel does. But the main problem was that initially no one knew what the note they sent me was referring to.

I had issues with the internet connection which were only resolved after I informed them of my decision to move to a different hotel. The first few times I asked about the unbelievably slow connection, I was told "there must be many people using it." At 2 PM on a weekday?

I feel bad giving them a bad review; the lobby is beautiful and the staff is very nice and you can tell they really do try to be efficient, but there just isn't enough training.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 00Daniel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We had our wedding reception organized here and we spent 1 week in a suite organized here. Although the place, food and hotel look nice the service was terrible.

The suite was a disappointment. Yes the decoration is nice but it hides a darker side. Many small things are not as they should be. The mouse for the IMac had no battery left, it took someone from the personnel 30 min to figure this out, the toilet paper holder seemed to be functioning but when you tried to pull the paper it fell right off..... It's a 5 star hotels...... come on you cannot make the customer believe everything is in order by just setting up the thing to make it appear in order... That's just ridiculous. Those are just small things and the first that come to my mind.
The decoration pretends to be minimalist but it's not functional at all! Light is missing, it's very dark in the room, thing are awkwardly placed in the room to comply with the minimalist- futuristic style of the hotel.
Now the worst part: The hotel wanted to charge us extra fees for everything without justifications. The management is arrogant and believes he is "superior". They treated us really really bad, although we spent a lot of money in their hotel.
They pretended a customer was annoyed by the noise of the wedding that lasted until 3AM according to them, although the wedding was over at 00:30. They did not even tell us during the reception that someone was complaining. It was a small (50 people) family wedding, we could not make that much noise. 2 days later they asked that we pay for her bill because the other customer refused to pay and left.... They also tried to charged us for other stuff without clear explanations (over time etc... although we finished early....just nonsense).
My wife got sick during the stay, they called a doctor who charged us 3 times the amount he was supposed to because he saw that my wife was a foreigner. We realized this afterwards by checking with the agency (SOS médecins), the hotel paid for the note because my wife was alone and had no cash with her. We were supposed to reimburse the hotel this outrageous amount. Everything was very fishy, we paid them but we reported the doctor to its company and we finally got our money back. When we asked for assistance from the hotel in this matter, they were actually defending the doctor, saying it was a normal rate. It makes you believe that they had an agreement with the doctor to over charge customers. A big scam or mafiosi enterprise, that's what it is.

That was just a bad experience, you are warned, go at your own risk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Jean B
brazil
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at La Maison on beginning of april. We were very happy with the superb location, between Av Montaigne and the Grand Palais; with the nice decor (the hotel deserves the title "Design Hotel"), and nice room. We enjoyed each detail, from the large bathroom to the comfortable bedroom. Very good breakfast buffet as well.
The only thing missing is a better concierge service.
I definitely recommend this quite nice hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a Junior Suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank zampra
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We spent my birthday evening at La Maison Champs Elysees. The staff was attentive and accommodating, the decor impeccable, brunch lovely with a great variety. The location is convenient to all but tucked 1 block away from the Champs Elysees; therefore, quieter.

This was our first night away from the baby and after we checked in we immediately fell asleep for a nap in the bed that swallowed us in it's comfort.

My only negative point is for those with gluten free diets: Usually, nice hotels have gluten-free breads, this one does not but if you're like me you bring your own as a back up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is in a quiet street, but on the doorstep of the busy high end luxury shopping of Montaigne and Champs-Elysees. The decor is amazing, and the whole experience is truly different from traditional hotels, The rooms are small but beautifully decorated, and very comfortable. The service is slow at times because there is a lack of staff. The restaurant serves delicious food, and has a quirky decor, full of suprises. Small details in the finition of the decoration, or for instance the quality of the towels, are quite disappointing, so the experience is not 100% satisfying, there is still some tweaking to do but the place has potential to be a true fashion must stay.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room before you move in.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business