“Do not stay in this hotel. Give it a miss”

Fraser Suites Le Claridge Champs-Elysees
Ranked #708 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
sydney australia
“Do not stay in this hotel. Give it a miss”
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I booked the hotel on the Fraser Apartment website. Having stayed in other Fraser Hotels in other parts of the world, I assumed that the Le Claridge would be of a standard similar to other Fraser hotels. I was so wrong in making this assumption. I stayed from 21 to 23 May 2008, the follwong is my nightmare experience. When I cheked in, I was informed that I was upgraded to a larger suite, which I thought was great. Then I found the room I was allocated was 2 levels with a tiny timber spiral stair to the bath room and bed room upstair. Mind you I had a pretty large luggage bag and there was no way I could carry my bag up the tiny spiral stair. As I was eager to get out and explore Paris,It didn't worry me too much. I then found the air conditioning was not working, so I informed the front office staff to fix it whilst I was out. Upon my return 7 hours later, the air conditioning was not fixed and I informed the front office again and asked if it could be fixed whilst I am out to dinner. When I got back to the hotel room and turned on the water to have a shower, I found the water was a brown muddy colour, I kept the tap on for more than 5 minutes and discovered the brown coloured water was coming from the hot water. By this stage, it was 12.30am in the morning, I thought I would just go to bed and hope that the water would be fixed by the morning. The air conditioning was fixed in the bed room, but the noise from the air conditioning was so lound and cold that it was like I was sleeping inside a plant room in a freezer, It was so loud I tried ear plugs, but after almost 1.5 hours of trying to sleep, I finally gave up and walked down to the front office at 2 am in the morning to inform the staff of the disaster. The receptionist came in the room with me and agreed that it was too loud and he could not explain why the hot water was muddy brown. So I packed up, went down to the reception and insisted that I be transferred to another room. The receptionist spent almost 20 minutes on the phone, speaking in French, I assume to his Manager, I was finally transferred to another room, time was 2. 45 am in the morning. I woke up the next morning and discovered that again the air conditioning was not working satisfactorily. I got a call from the receptionist as they have mistaken I with another guest, who was also relocated to another room the same morning. Then when I returned to the room that afternoon, I was shocked to find there was someone in the room, I found out that he was a tradesman trying to fix the air conditioning. He was later joined by another tradesman, and it took almost 3 hours to fix. At last, I thought all should be well ! No such luck, when I tried to turn on the TV, yes you guessed it, it was not working. By this stage, I gave up and didn't even bother to ask for help. I have been to numerous hotels all around the world, but I have never encountered a hotel like this. The staff was unhelpful and rude, not one of them apologised and said 'sorry '. I therefore will not return to this hotel and will advise you to avoid it.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — rude staff, inferior condition of the rooms, terrible service, too expensive for the standard.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank novelty-traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I stayed in Hotel Claridge in May for 6 nights. It is in a great location in the so called 'golden triangle' near Champs Elysees, Avenue Montaigne and George V. It is a small hotel and the room we stayed was very spacious, it was a superior room but I stayed in much smaller rooms in Paris for this price. The decor was tasteful with antiques, the ceilings very high and bathroom well appointed. There are only 5-6 rooms on each floor so the hotel is quiet. Our room overlooked the main street but the double glazing cut all the noise, with the quiet, heavy curtains and comfy large bed we slept late every morning :-)
The hotel staff is friendly and smiling, eager to help. Reception staff is very helpful.
After the first day the mini bar never got restocked, despite this they tried to charge us as if we were drinking them every day, but when we pointed this out at check out they removed them immediately from the bill.
Overall a great little hotel in good location, clean and tastefully decorated, a bit old fashioned, a bit expensive but this is Paris. The surrounding area's cafes and restaurants are very expensive as well so we ended up spending most of the gloriously warm days and nights in the cool and trendy Marais area and next time I'm in Paris I'll probably try a hotel there.Claridge is a better hotel for first time Paris visitors.

• Liked — location, spacious room
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Wirral, UK
Reviewed April 29, 2008

The hotel is quite nice. The rooms are large and the location great.

However, having spent a number of weeks in the hotel, I believe a member of staff stole one of my husband's credit card details. Just about impossible to prove but, believe me, there is no other logical explanation. I should add he hasn't been in Paris for more than a few days to stay with me and certainly hasn't used this card in Paris - or indeed used the card at all for three months prior to the fraudulent activity. Suffice to say, it has soured my opinion of the place. Sad state of affairs given the review two down about a theft from a hotel room.

• Stayed March 2008
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 11, 2008

I chose the Le Claridge for a one night stay with 10 girlfriends for a celebration. We had two apartments which were very well appointed and perfect for our occasion.

The location of the Le Claridge could not be better. It is also difficult to find self-catered apartments of this quality in Paris that will allow a one night stay.

The staff were amazing. I requested some food and wine to be purchased and put in the room for when we arrived. The staff exceeded the request, by ordering the goods and arranging everything we needed in the room, with ice buckets and glasses! It was fabulous to arrive to such a welcome.

I would thoroughly recommend this venue to anyone looking for a high class, self catered apartment in Paris.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I chose Le Claridge because of the glowing reviews here at Trip Advisor. Much of what others had found, we also experienced...the location was central, the rooms and the hotel as a whole were clean and quiet, and the desk staff were pleasant enough.
The shock of our trip was that money was stolen from our room when we were out. This is four-star hotel whose web page promotes its attention to security...round-the-clock doorman, electronic passes for the lift and all rooms, even video surveillance throughout the hotel. Heaven knows how someone was able to bypass all that and enter our room, rifle through our luggage, and depart undetected.
Unfortunately, to add insult to injury, the management offered nothing more than condolences and only belatedly informed us that there was a room safe. Overall, their response was more frustrating than helpful. If I want to stay in suite-style accommodation in Paris again, I will pursue other options. This is not what one should expect from a four-star hotel at $400 Cdn a night.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Theft from room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Saskat
Loughborough, England
Reviewed December 19, 2006

I have just spent a most fabulous weekend in Paris – a birthday surprise from my boyfriend. Le Claridge is most certainly worth it’s four stars since the location and service couldn’t be better. On arrival to the hotel, the doorman (Shymon) couldn’t be more helpful. Our bags were taken up to reception, where Shymon waited patiently for us to check in. We were then lead to our apartment and Shymon showed us around the rooms and explained everything we needed to know. He even informed us of the nearby supermarket (since there is no room service) and suggested a lovely restaurant to eat for the evening.

We did not eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant since we bought supplies from the supermarket and made use of the excellent facilities in our apartment kitchen. The maid service was also fantastic – on the first morning we woke up late and missed the maid. However, on return to the hotel later that evening, we arrived to a very clean and tidy apartment. Each day the maid would wash up our dishes and leave each room clean and sparkling. We were also very impressed by our free chocolates in the bedroom!

Unfortunately, since our apartment was not located at the front of the hotel, we did not benefit from the spectacular view across the Champs Elysees. However, our room did overlook a very nice courtyard and was particularly quiet. The bed was super-comfy and I had a brilliant nights sleep each night!

All in all Le Claridge c’est magnifique! My birthday was most definitely a memorable one and made all the more special by Le Claridge and it’s staff. Merci.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price of breakfast
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Ria_Jyn
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2006

What an unbelievable location. My wife and I stayed for four nights in the newly renovated hotel. Our first night we were in a room which obviously wasn't finished and when we requested another room we were told the hotel was booked but were promised an upgraded room for the following three nights. The operations manager Carolyn couldn't have been nicer and gave us the best room in the hotel at no extra charge. We were placed on the 6th floor in a two floor suite with a sofa, table two chairs on the main floor as well as a full kitchen with stove, microwave, fridge, dishwasher etc. Then there was a circular staircase leading upstairs to the king size bedroom, a separate toilet, and separate bathroom. The view was magnificent. Although we were on the Champs-Elysee, the Eiffel tower was clearly prominent and shone directly across from our bedroom. The Arc deTriumph was in view from our main floor living room balcony as we spent much time just looking out at the views of Paris. We believe Carolyn was fully responsible for making our first night dissappointment into an unbelievable vacation. If there are any problems, see her. The staff was adequate and the breakfast was also satisfactory. Rolls, croissants, cheese, meat, juice, jams, coffee, fruit, etc. Certainly well worth the visit. Ask for a room on the Avenue side and the higher up the better. This has to be the best view of Paris on the Champ-elysee. And also very affordable if you do your homework and get a cheap booking!!!
Would stay there again with absolutely no problem. Tres Bien Carolyn. Tres Bien.

• Liked — view of Paris
  • Stayed October 2006