“Paris Proposal” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, MD
“Paris Proposal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

My newly minted fiancee and I stayed here for three nights and it could not have been better. The room was huge for Paris standards and our room was always cleaned and neat when we got in from a long day of sightseeing. Our bathroom, however, had the shower head on the side wall of the bathtub, which was a little inconvenient and messy, but wasn't a big issue at all. The service was outstanding, I proposed to my girlfriend on the street next to the hotel and the staff had two glasses of champagne waiting for our return at the little bar. It was absolutely amazing. The location was perfect, we could walk to all the major sights (except for the Cathedral of Notre Dame) without a problem. AMAZING!

• Liked — The courteous staff, cleanliness and the location
  • Disliked — Nothing, would have liked a better view, but we never were in our room to really worry about it.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank shulax28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

This is our favorite hotel in Paris, we stayed here a 2nd time, the location and the attention to detail is wonderful. The staff are eager to please and very friendly, which is unusual in Paris.
This time we stayed for 3 days in Paris, and then came back for one more day on our way to London.
The rooms were beautiful and I just love the breakfast in the morning. We will stay here everytime we come to Paris.
Bravo!

• Liked — Location, attention to detail, beautiful bathrooms, lovely products.
  • Disliked — Little bit pricey on things like telephones and room service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WeLuv2Travel2
berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

I tend to think of Sofitels as high end modern business hotels; high standard, but lacking in character. This one however is an exception, and all the better for it. Location is ideal, in a quiet street but 5 mins from Etoile and just a bit further to Place des Ternes. There's a good selection of local restaurants nearby.

The building itself is a nicely renovated 19th century typical Parisian building. Rooms are a decent size without being huge. Certainly my room do not show any signs of the shabbiness referred to by one other reviewer. The air con did not seem to be working that well, but the temperature was still OK so not a big issue.

It seems expensive, but casting around for my next trip I'm coming to the conclusion that it's just a reflection of the price you have to pay, especially in this location. It's way better than the similiarly - priced Sofitel Champs Elysees.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank berkshire_nomads
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

Since my husband and I went for our honeymoon, he had contacted the hotel directly and made the reservations. They were extremely friendly from the start and even offered suggestions to my husband for the type of room. We got the Deluxe room with the King size bed and I must say, I was surprised by the room size. It was far bigger than any of the rooms that I have stayed in the US. The room had a seperate coat closet, a small reception like area for receiving room service, a huge bathroom with vanity area, bathtub and a shower stall. The room, in addition to the king size bed had a table with chair, a big sofa with a coffee table, a flat screen TV with DVD player, a CD player with some classic musical CDs and a blacony with the view of the top of the eiffel tower. The staff were very friendly, taught us some phrases to get around the city, showed us the way to the train stations and suggested places to see. They also made our reservations for the various shows and a visit to the Versailles. I must mention the vast array of food they had for breakfast...A good variety of meats, juices, fresh fruits, pastries and breads that one would be stuffed past lunch time. There was also a live piano concert in the bar in the evenings. Arc De Triomphe was just a 5 minute walk away. The Lido was also a 5 minute walk away. I would definitely choose this hotel for my next stay in Paris and I woud recommend others to check it out. Did I mention that they welcome your stay with some specially made chocolates and have a very nice book that you can take back home as a souvenir from your trip?

• Liked — Service, cleanliness and view
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

Our stay at the Sofitel Arc de Triomphe was perfect. My husband surprised me with a weekend away for my birthday, and I cannot praise this hotel enough.

From the friendly welcome when we checked in, to the helpful concierge, nothing was too much trouble for the staff here.

The room was small but the bed was the most comfortable i've ever slept in!!! The bathroom was clean and well-equipped, which is a big thing for me!!!
There was a sound system and flat screen tv too.

Breakfast was well prepared and with good choice - something for everyone, from cereal and eggs, to fruit and pastries, and freshly-squeezed juices too.

Overall we were really impressed with the Sofitel, would not hesitate to recommend it and would definitely stay again. what a find!!!

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank User0910
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

Stayed 3 nights and very much enjoyed our stay. The location is perfect and we had no problem finding our way around Paris. The staff were very helpful with directions and bookings.
The room was a bit on the small side but was spotless and the bed very comfortable. Had one light meal in the bar and found the food to be very good, drinks were a bit expensive but I think that is the case in most of Paris. Didn't have breakfast, at €27 pp it was a bit on the high side and we found plenty of place close by to eat.
Overall we had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SORIreland
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2008

Four of us booked a package thru Costco for air/hotel to Paris for 9 nights. One of the Costco choices was Sofitel Arc de Triumph.
I can sum up in one word our experience at this hotel: Perfect.

When I travel I usually stay at Marriott, Renaissance, Westin, Ritz-Carlton, etc. So, I was concerned about the quality of this hotel when I booked. I've been to Paris several times and was familar with the general location and it happens to be a prime area.

From the moment we arrived we were treated royally. We had deluxe category rooms and found them to be quite lovely. Nice size for Paris standards, very clean, robe/slippers a nice touch.

Breakfast buffet was included and it was wonderful. Plenty of fruits, cereals, yogurt, delicious breads/pastries, eggs, etc. Wonderful staff.

Our bags were delayed a couple of days the the hotel staff went out of their way calling the airline numerous times each day to get updates for us. I can't say enough about the staff and the guest relations people. Friendliest and most helpful. Even tolerated my 2 yr old level of French and never laughed at me.

The staff and intimate nature of the hotel really made our vacation special (we were two daughters (early 50's) traveling with our two moms(early 70's and quite worldly). They are still raving about the hotel and the staff.

I've stayed at the Marriott on the Champs Elysees for 10 days and found the warmth and friendliness of the Sofitel to outshine the Marriott (and I'm a BIG Marriott fan). I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Great location. One of the few nice hotels in a quiet area (no street noise)
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family