“Not fit for purpose at present”

Sofitel Paris Arc de Triomphe
Ranked #223 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I am a big fan of the Sofitel and of the Accor range in general so it is with particular regret that I gives the Sofitel Arc de Triomphe only three stars. Alas, this is the best I can do. Yes, the hotel is under construction and I am willing to forgive this, but there were just too many problems: 1) We weren't able to check in until 3 pm. 2) When we did check in, the room temperature was very cold (eventually rectified). 3) Laundry turnaround time >1 day. 4) The sinks were clogged and the maintenance man had to be called, interrupting our morning. 5) There was no hot water, again maintenance had to be called. At one point we asked to be transferred to a different room, but this was impossible as the hotel was full.

All of the calls (to housekeeping, room service, etc) are routed directly to reception who then ask the relevant department to call the room back. In the case of room service this process took twenty minutes, too late for us to have breakfast in the room. Weirdly, room service called us right before we left the room, thinking we were someone else.

In general, the stay was a disappointment. I may go back after construction is finished but for now, the hotel is not fit for purpose.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelling_30s
Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary. We travelled from Ashford to Paris on the Eurostar. The trip was really good. When we arrived at the hotel we were warmly greeted and were able to check into our room it was about 1pm. The room was on the small side however you very rarely get a large room in European city. The bed was so comfortable I'm not surprised that they sell their beds and comforters. I understand the hotel is being refurbished at the moment, would definitely consider returning if we went back to Paris.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire910
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I love this hotel. All the staff, from the doorman to the housekeeping ladies to the waiters in the restaurant, seem delighted to have you there and can't do enough for you. It seems a genuine feeling too, rather than an affectation, and something that is clearly instilled from top management.
Yes, agreed, the renovations are causing a lot of disturbance at the moment which means you aren't entirely sure where the main entrance of the hotel is, and when you walk in it's all a bit confusing as to where the reception desk is located. The bar currently feels a bit out of place, I had a view of scaffolding outside my window and there's no signage because things are moving around as the work continues through the building, but.....
I was lucky enough to stay in one of the newly renovated rooms and it was just great! It was a decent size room by Paris standards and the bathroom was enormous with a gorgeous walk-in rainforest shower big enough for two people.
Room amenities as standard were a much-appreciated Nespresso machine, bottles of water, an iPod docking station, complimentary wi-fi (you need to get a card from reception) huge flatscreen TV, dressing gown, slippers, iron and ironing board. The thermostat actually worked / made a difference (most unusual!) and the bed was wonderfully comfortable. Everything was sparkling clean and new and i had a great nights sleep.
In the morning I ate breakfast in the newly renovated restaurant and the service was second to none. Freshly made scrambled eggs, a basket of viennoiserie, heavenly freshly squeezed juice and a cappuccino brought to the table within minutes of ordering. The choice was wonderful and everything delicious.
All in all a great stay and will be even better when the renovations have been completed. At time of writing only the first two floors have been completed but all rooms should be finished by April 2013.

Room Tip: Make sure you book one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lolapalooza
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It only gets one star because the staff were on the whole very pleasant.

Check in quick and efficient. Lobby a mess with all the construction. It's like walking through a building site.

Room was a joke. Stayed for business on corporate rate. I'm used to getting poor rooms as a result, but this was another level. Tiny after thought on the top floor. Not sure anyone had stayed there for sometime. The "room" was so small I had to walk sideways between the end of the bed and the tv stand. The bed was more a giant cot with a mattress like a hammock.

The bathroom was actually more spacious but the decor was old and poorly finished. Dirty toilet. The shower was more a mist, and only heated up after a good 5 mins after which I couldn't turn it down.

Breakfast was fine. Excellent service but the room is awful. Seems to be next to a bank of air con fans so dull drone throughout.

Overall would never come back. Parisian hotels are (in)famous for small pokey tired badly appointed rooms but this was just too much. I am thinking of cancelling my booking at a Sofitel in December.

• Stayed: October 2012
5  Thank WharfTrader
Beaujon, Assistante de Direction at Sofitel Paris Arc de Triomphe, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience.

I was sorry to read that the room did not meet your expectation. Please accept our sincerest apologise for any inconveniences this may have caused

As you may have discovered we have undertaken the transformation of our Hotel and we are very excited to unveil the new designer look.
I sincerely wish to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a totally new and magnifique experience.

Amel Bibi Triki

Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed there Sept 10th - 12th. We were treated wonderfully by management and the staff. They made us feel right at home. The breakfast had a nice variety and delicious. The room was spacious and comfortable with free WiFi. We could see the top of the Arc De Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower from our room. It was easy to get to shops, banks and Metro. We were out during the day so we not notice and noise due to the renovations.The Champ and Arc are easy walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: The top floor facing the Champ de Elysee.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here with my husband and three kids. There were renovations at the time which we were told about and they were a bit inconvenient- hard to catch up on sleep with hammering all day!
Apart from that hotel was great- beautiful large rooms- we were upgraded to suite, delicious breakfast and easy walk to Champes , arc de Triomphe and subway transport. Bakeries, post office, retsaurants, and supermarkets also close by

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service from the team at the hotel from concierge to receptionists etc. everyone greets you around the hotel. Room was huge and very cozy! Toiletries were a surprise! - luxury brand! Everything in the room is more than sufficient for my stay including an umbrella as it rained heavily on one of the days. Highly recommended! Food in restaurant was average though. Thanks for the wonderful memories!