“Modern classy rooms, convenient location”

Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees
Ranked #435 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Modern classy rooms, convenient location”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel is 2 mins walk from the Champs Elysees and about 45-60 from the airport. You can walk to the Arc de Triomphe in 10 mins and the Eiffel Tower in 30 mins.

The hotel is located in a side street with other hotels all around. The entrance gives a feeling of a old, traditional hotel that has been around a long time. I understand the hotel has been totally refurbished in the last year.

The room I stayed in had a separate sitting room, bedroom and bathroom. The toliet was a separate room. The entrance to the room was very tight but once inside it's comfortable and well furnished. The room furnishings were very modern (different from reception) and comfortable. Bed size was excellent and comfortable. The window view was an internal one into the courtyard which was fine.

The bathroom has a large walk in shower and plenty of space. The toilet is separate in what can only be described as a tiny closet! But it did its job :)

Staff were all ok - nothing wow going on here but doing their job.

I haven't stayed at any other hotels in the same area so I can't compare - but by itself it's a modern, clean comfortable hotel I'd happily stay at again.

PS - the Nespresso is marked in EUROs and is clearly not free for those who are complaining about it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Hoods_Travels
CThiry, Directeur général at Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear customer

Thank you for taking time to leave your kind review about your recent stay at the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées.
We are delighted that your experience was positive, and that we have been able to meet your expectations from our accomodations to our staff.
We are fortunate to be very conveniently located in the heart of Paris and would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back again in a near future.

With our best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I just spent 2 nights at the hotel. Great position.
We booked a premium delux with a balcony, king/ queen bed and with breakfast. When we got to the hotel I was told no breakfast included and we were given a room on 2 levels (later they claimed it as an upgrade) with 2 single beds and no balcony. I queried the beds and was told not to worry they would change it. All they did was to put a double sheet ontop and leave it at that. When I went to complain later that afternoon, I was first told the hotel was full (I checked in at 11am???) and that I had been given an upgrade to a suite (I have never been to a hotel where they upgrade you and dont tell you that).
I demanded the room that I had booked. The gentleman tried his best but said he needed his managers approval. After a lot of tooing and froing the manager said that he would make an exception. Sorry? Make an exception and give me the room that I booked?????? Seriously now????

Anyway we had a room with the correct bed and a balcony. In the room was a Nespresso machine with pods. So we ordered milk for the coffee. Imagine my horror when they bought us some milk in a glass and charged us E5.50??
On checkout I was then told that we had used the mini bar. I said impossible and I was told the coffee...

So a top end hotel supplies coffee in the room and CHARGE you for it? Seriously now. It was then that I opened my mouth again. The attendant shrugged her shoulders as though this was not the first time today that she had this complaint and she said she would make a plan.

Catherine came along and agreed to waive those costs but said next time I should be aware. I should be aware when they cant even honour what I booked for. In addition she said that when I booked on the website I did not state my preferences for the room or the balcony (I booked on the phone directly with the hotel!).

The cherry on top was when I came back home and checked my correspondence - there it is - "American buffet breakfast & services included".

So now I have paid for breakfast but was told sorry - not included.

Thus if you are going there make sure to take ALL of your correspondence with the hotel with you as you will need it.

Besides the above the hotel is in a brilliant position and the rooms are great, the bathroom had a bath and shower (nice) and a separate toilet. Besides the one manager who made an exception, the staff were great and tried really hard. Cant comment on the breakfast as I was not paying E25 per person when I was sure that I had already paid for it.

Room Tip: Take all of your paperwork with you
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank David R
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My mother in law stayed in this hotel for its proximity of the Champs Elysees and her work. She was staying in this hotel alone for work matters. On a certain day returning from her daily activities, she came back to her hotel room to find a Crime scene. Rubble on the floor, her safety deposit box had been SAWED, litterally SAWED out!, her 2 suitcases filled with new merchandise for boutiques were gone. Everything had been stolen from her safety deposit boxes, passports credit cards money jewelry etc. Thinking the hotel would be just in shock as she was, they took this opportunity to try and kick her out of the hotel since she had no money on her. Luckily, her husband wired her money but it took some time to get back passport documents abroad. EVIDENTLY, THE HOTEL WAS APART OF THE CRIME, as they didnt even try to solve the case or help her out in any way whatsoever. They did the absolutely least they could to help and were very indifferent to the story. Til this day we have not received a letter of apology, money or any valuables back, NOTHING. Ive never heard of a story of such especially from a luxury hotel like this! I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY IN THIS HOTEL. If for any reason the hotel has an apology of some sort, feel free to contact us, you know who this is, unless this has happened very often and you no longer know.. which might be the case.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
14 Thank Vanessaal
CThiry, Directeur général at Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear customer

May we first and foremost thank you for having shared with us your impressions about the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées that needs to be clarified from our side.
We are very astonished to receive such a comment 1 year after you stayed with us. Furthermore it’s the first time we hear about this robbery as we always take into consideration every single problem met by our customers.
After checking, no safety box has ever disappeared in any of our room last July and no complaint of that kind has been registered by Reception desk (as per our logbook).
I hope we have clarified this situation, that from your side you may want to reconsider. Feel free to contact our guest relations for further information.

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for 8 nights in one of the renovated rooms (111). The room and bathroom were very big, very clean and extremely well appointed. Great location in a very good neighbourhood. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank TigersGreat
Dear customer

Thank you for having chosen our charming hotel for your parisian stay, and for having taken time to share your great experience with us through Tripadvisor .

Looking forward to welcome you back again in a near future.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Hotel California is located just off the Champs Elysees, so is fairly central to most things you want to see in Paris. The rooms are small, as with any big-city hotel, but very clean and comfortable. The staff was helpful, most spoke good English, and the breakfast buffet was very good.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Paris for a few days!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GayD861
Mundelein, Illinois
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I met my husband in Paris for a long weekend in between business trips. We stayed at the Hotel California because he had previously stayed there on business and was impressed with the service. Since his stay the rooms have been refurbished and are brighter and prettier. The best thing about this hotel is the location right on the Champs Elysees. We were able to walk to the yellow Metro line in about 5 minutes and could reach many of the places we wanted to see within 10-15 minutes. Breakfast was buffet style in a small room off the lobby...nothing much to speak of, but it filled us up for the day. It is tough to find a good breakfast buffet that serves properly cooked American style scrambled eggs and bacon. The cheeses and baguettes were the best part of breakfast, and the cafe au lait was terrific. The room was good sized with a separate tub and shower in the bathroom and a king sized bed. Good storage for clothes also. Overall, a great stay with no complaints.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ntcampbell
CThiry, Directeur général at Hotel California Paris Champs Elysees, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear customer

Thank you for taking time to leave such a warm review about your recent stay at the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées.
We are delighted that we entirely have been able to meet your expectations.
We are certainly fortunate to have a terrific location, with the majority of rooms being completely refurbished.
Our friendly staff appreciated the opportunity to welcome you and would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to serve your needs again in a near future.

Yours sincerely
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a short experience of this very nice hotel just off the Champs Elysees. Definitely one for a romantic weekend in Paris. Perfect location - expensive but 1st class. Food was wonderful and the rooms immaculate. Staff a bit uppity but its Paris. Had a business meeting there and was very well organised. Good open room and excellent canopies.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dumbledrew
Dear customer

Thank you for your generous review posted recently on Tripadvisor, concerning your stay at the Hotel California Paris Champs-Elysées.
We are thrilled that you had a lovely stay with us, and would be glad to welcome you back again at our charming hotel.