New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #422 of 1,796 Hotels in Paris
Hobart, Australia
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Arrived at hotel from Orly airport via taxi and it cost 28 euro. We stayed at the Novotel for 3 nights and were happy with the hotel amenities. Reception staff were friendly and we particularly liked Victoria. They did have some confusion about our room bookings, but it was sorted without too much fuss. They gave a map of the area which was handy. The area is okay but is a little bit out of the main area of paris, but parts were within walking distance. There are some nice places to eat in this area. We were a bit scared of the metro as there were lots of seedy people down there and every corner smelled like urine so we used the 'hop on hop off' bus to get to the main touristy sights. The hotel is modern and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We had dinner at the hotel one night and that was okay. Staff spoke good English. Free wifi. There were a lot of drunks and groups of seedy looking people that we're hanging out the back of the hotel, so I would avoid the back entrance at night and all the time in general.
Overall good hotel with friendly staff, we enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

Rooms
1 Thank AlbyGee
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this review, December 19, 2014
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking the time to write about my hotel. You enjoyed your stay and the services provided and it is a satisfaction for us. The staff is pleased and available to bring assistance or any information your may need during your stay.
I hope you will come back at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon.
Best regards,
Jean-Jacques Bruyand - Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Excellent location, very comfortable suites with a classy look, gyms, swimming pools- you name, you get it here. Novotel near the Gare de Lyon, Paris was an outstanding hotel. The best thing, though, is its nearness to the Gare de Lyon station, from which the popular attraction 'Disneyland' is just 35 minutes away. We loved the hotel a lot.

Location
1 Thank Aarchisha C
J-JBruyand, Directeur général at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Guest,
My team and I are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. It is particularly gratifying to read that we were able to respond favourably to your expectations thanks to our services such as the swimming pool, fitness centre…
It is true as well that the hotel has a great location, close to the railway station and in the centre of Paris.
We sincerely hope to welcome you again at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon.
Yours sincerely,
Jean-Jacques Bruyand, General manager
Traralgon, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed here in 2 separate rooms for 2 adults and 3 children. We arrived by train and found the place easily but the terrible smell of urine on our walk to the hotel and the dodgy looking people out front made us feel unsafe and unimpressed. The rooms are large enough but the bathrooms and toilets like you would find in a cabin Park. Don't bother opening Windows either as the outside is not a nice view.
Breakfast was lovely but eggs under cooked. 1 day breakfast up, then next day down. Never really sure which restaurant to head to.
Restaurants within walling distance are crazily overpriced and b there are many beggars and bad smell of urine.
Better off using tube than taxi but keep your belongings close and be prepared to walk the underground rabbit Warren. Still chalet than taxi service which hotel charge you €4 to book 1 for 5 people then the taxi slog you €5 for large taxi. On day of departure we were charged €11 before even taking off as we had 5 people and 5 bags!
Wouldn't recommend this hotel to families except for the 24hour heated pool.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
I thank you for taking the time to write about my hotel. You did not enjoy your family stay, I regret your discontent and please accept my sincere apologies.
Regarding the room and especially the bathroom, I am well aware of their ageing aspect and I take this opportunity to inform you that a campaign to renovate the last 65 Standard rooms (like the one you occupied) is programmed in December 2014.
Your remark regarding the surrounding is important to me and it is really a serious concern as I work continuously with the Police and Municipal authorities of the area to secure and clean at best, the hotel surroundings. So far we do not regret any incident.
Concerning the taxi, and the extra charge of 5 € that he asked you, I have allowed myself to forward your comment to the taxi company we work with. Indeed, the driver does not have to ask for any extra charges for the transport of 5 people as we already charge you for that at the reception. This amount is then claimed by the taxi company monthly.
I remain at your disposal and I hope to welcome you again at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon.
Jean-Jacques Bruyand, General Manager
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

A very good choice, very good room at 6th floor, renovated, big flat screen tv, clean. The staff was nice and helpful, breakfast was correct. We slept very well all 4 nights that we stayed. The metro station Gare de Lyon was around the corner, on line 1 that takes you across Paris. Wifi is free and works perfectly.
I have nothing negative to say about the hotel, just that, as everywhere in paris, the streets in the area are dirty and the smell is awfull sometimes. Paris is the most dirty city I have ever seen and it's a shame, because it's so beautiful and it deserves to be cleaned properly

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I am happy that you enjoyed my hotel and the services provided.
Our rooms are well soundproofed and it is really important when you are situated near an important railway station.
The staff is available for any assistance or advice... and now a second breakfast room is opened in the morning during weekends and holidays.
I hope you will still consider the Novotel Pariss Gare de Lyon for your next trip to Paris.
Warm regards.
Jean-Jacques Bruyand – Manager
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Due to a delayed flight (never traveling with Air Serbia again) reached the hotel 10 hours after the time we told them (we have asked for the early check in so we would have the room at 10:00 am). So checking in at 8:30 pm we were thrilled to here that they upgraded our room from executive room to the suite on the 7th floor. Not a renovated room (fitted carpets) but we had a big living room with a big corner sofa that turned into a double bed for the two kids. The sofa also had an extension that stayed fixed which was big enoug as a single bed. So we asked for another set of sheets and the two kids slept separately which was excellent (the sheets arrived at our room 10 minutes after we asked !). The room had a nespresso machine and a minibar (all free if you stay in the suite). The separate room for the parents had an excellent bed and a flat screen TV (flat screen TV also in the living room) and connected to the bathroom area that had both a bath and a shower. The hotel's swimming pool is nice (not to big though) and is open 24 hrs everyday which is great! Best for me is that there was a huge security guard at the entrance so I felt safe living the kids on their own and not watching them all the time. The kids area is ok but my kids loved the electronic table at the reception area (mostly played Angry Birds). The breakfast was not included in the package. It was 18 euros extra for each person and trying to get in the first day seemed really noisy so went to the hotels bar were we got the express breakfast which included 2 pastries, a yogurt, coffee and orange juice. All 3 days we were there the pastries were 3 for each (I dont know if its because we were the only people having breakfast at that time). It was just right for us, quiet, enought to eat for breakfast and costed us only 16 euros (8 euros per adult and free for the children- my kids were ages 10 and 7). If you are not the type that eats a lot in the morning this is excellent. The staff is polite, speaks english and always with a smile. Had room service which was ok (not a lot of options after the reastaurant closes). The location is ideal if you want to use the metro, its just a step away and Gare De Lyon is a major station that also takes you to Disneyland. From there we payed 45 euros and went to Disney. From Gare de Lyon we went to all major sights in Paris within minutes. An excellent trip and if we visit Paris again we will certainly stay in this hotel.

Rooms
2 Thank EvgeniaC
Dear Guest,
My teams and I want to thank you for choosing our hotel and for describing in detail your family stay. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed every part of it and especially the upgrade in one of our two Suites and that you appreciate our hospitality.
It is true that having a City Breakfast in the bar allows you to be in a quieter atmosphere than in the restaurant.
We hope to welcome you again at Novotel Paris Gare de Lyon.
Jean-Jacques Bruyand - Manager
Mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Just checked out this morning after a 7 day stay , my first in Paris

It falls a bit short to give it very good rating but could be more than average and a bit less than Very good

Good part of the hotel - away for the mess and crowd of Paris . Though it is situated in a corner away from the main street , it had advantages of a quite place and away from bustling crowd . It is bang next to the Gare De Lyon , just one minute away from its back entrance which was a major advantage going to see major attractions and best if out of France . We were leaving for Nice this morning and the station was just 4 minutes away . The Metro and RER is of course there so commuting to all attractions makes most simple .
The staff at reception was very helpful , Jonas checked us in and was very cooperative and the next day Sacha was very helpful in giving directions and travel advice . Also helpful was Mehdi

The not so good part - On our first night the air conditioning was not working and it was warm outside so we had a terrible night . The next morning we complained and the electrician came and saw and agreed the air conditioning was not working . Thankfully it was rectified . But as a star hotel should they not check these things ,

There is no concierge to help with your bags . The day we came , at check in Jonas sheepishly told me that we have to tug our own bags , that was a pity for a 4 star property

The rooms I got were the old rooms because the carpets were old , bathroom looked old , everything was oldish . I requested whilst check in for the renovated room but Jonas said all the room sizes are same .

The sofa bed for my daughter was pathetic . The rods on the bed were hurting her . They need to get a better mattress to avoid this

We did not have the breakfast so cannot comment .

In short , for the price I paid I should have got a better deal

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms . If going for a sofa bed make sure the beds are good