“Clean, Comfortable, Courteous Staff and Well Positioned”

Hotel de Suede St. Germain
Ranked #852 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Having just returned from a two night break at this Hotel I can find nothing bad to say about it. It is ideally positioned in the city for major attractions, metro and bus routes. We found the "Cars Rouge" open top bus trip very useful with a two day ticket to ferry us around the main tourist attractions.
The Hotel staff could not be more helpful when asked advice or directions. The room was simple but clean and comfortable, even for three adults. The beds were comfortable and the continental breakfast spread was simple but sufficient and fresh.
The only tip I can give to anyone booking this hotel and taking the directions given from the Sèvres Babylone metro station is to ensure that you take the road to the right of the Bon Marche store. The hotel is then approximately 10 - 15 minutes comfortable walk from the metro station as opposed to more than twice the walk if like us you take the route to the left of the store.
We would definately use this hotel again if visiting Paris.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank geegee1000

Reviewed December 14, 2010

Stayed here in November 2010 for 4 nights. All I really care about in a room is that it is clean and the bed is not horrible. On both counts I was satisfied. The room was very clean but fairly plain. However the bathroom was roomy and clearly had been remodeled recently as it was bright and everything looked new with nice tile and fixtures. My daughter was fairly impressed by the bathroom. The staff was kind and helpful. Recently I have stayed in Venice and Barcelona, and I have to say that this hotel was better than the ones I stayed in in Venice and Barcelona -- and all were in the same range and type of hotel. Also, for us, we were not in Paris to be in the room. So it served its purpose as a place to sleep and shower. it was in a quiet neighborhood and we walked to lots of places. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JakenNC
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I stayed at Hotel De Suede from December 2-5th. Our check in was great. I has asked for a room on the 1st floor upon booking and was very pleased that they accommodated us. I was pleasantly surprised how clean the room was and it was nice for my husband to have the option to open the window and smoke in the room. The room was small but compared to the 4 other hotels I stayed in throughout Europe this trip, it was comparable. After our 1st nights stay, we contacted the front desk because the people staying above us had heavy feet keeping us up all night. They immediately moved us to the top floor of the hotel. The room was even better. Much bigger and the bathroom was huge (room 64). The staff was very helpful in answering questions such as directions. The hotel is located in a great area. At night it is very quite. You are only about 2 blocks from St Germain de Pres st where there are tons of bakeries, restaurants, boutiques, banks, ects. The hotel is also perfect for walking to Norte Dame, Louvre, ST Chappell, Latin Quarters, Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triumph, Champs de Elysse, and many more great attractions. I have already recommended this place to my aunt & uncle in-laws to stay there when they visit sometime in late spring. The only thing I would have really liked is free internet but I hear this is quite uncommon in Europe.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jilly2715
Reviewed November 17, 2010

My partner and I were fortunate to have one of the refurbished rooms, which was pretty clean and had a modern looking bathroom. The room itself was a bit small, but as we were only staying for one night it was acceptable. The big problem was the door had a massive gap at the bottom (i'm talking about 2-3cm) which meant that you could hear everyone in the corridor and stairwell...not exactly ideal conditions for sleeping.

Additionally the lift wasn't working when we arrived on the Saturday, and our room was on the 5th floor. No one offered to help with the luggage, so I ended up climbing 5 floors with luggage in hand!

The location is what makes this hotel a bit better though. It's a very safe area (many embassies in the area mean there is a lot of guards around) and it is close to both the Eiffel Tower area as well as the St Germain restaurants.

We only booked for the room, and opted not to go for the extra breakfast (€30 each!!) as there are wonderful little places to have proper french breakfasts for much cheaper.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel purely on the quality of the room. If you're not bothered about the quality too much, then this is a fantastic location.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lino_matt
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. the moment I entered the room my heart sank as it was just so sad. If it had been in the olden days this is where they would've placed the most insignificant member of staff in the household... I was on the very top floor on the left as you come out of the lift. The room was minute, with the smallest bed I have ever seen. In the bathroom I could sit on the loo, wash my hands in the sink and my feet in the shower at the same time. I'm regular size thankfully because anybody with a bigger frame wouldn't fit. The handle to regulate the water to the shower was so hard I could just about manage to get the right temperature and the handle to flush the toilet was not only hard, the flush made a very loud noise when pulled so that I was almost reluctant to do it at night! The airconditioning unit had broken bits and the window frame was disgraceful.
I spoke to the person at reception immediately to see if I could change but I arrived quite late and he said the hotel was full. I asked him to check with management for the next day and he said he would, in fact he didn't, nor the day after. I mentioned it for the last time juts to make them aware that nobody had picked up on my wishes and they said that it was a normal 3 star hotel room. I stay in hotels a few times a year, always three stars due to work budgets and I can assure you this isn't a normal 3 star hotel room.
To be fair the room was clean but in serious need of refurbishment and I think people need to be warned of the size, as I said I'm a small woman and anybody bigger would find it impossible.
The breakfast was adequate and the location great.
On my last day I asked for a taxi and the man at reception said it would just take 10 minutes, 20 minutes later I asked again, the person behind the desk (another person)said it always takes the cab company ages in the morning, I waited 40 minutes together with a lady who'd booked her cab the night before and the shared. She had incidentally also complained about the standard of her room...
I see from the previous reviews that some other rooms have been refurbished, I wasn't fortunate enough to see any so I wouldn't be able to recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank Valentinani
Reviewed November 8, 2010

It is well situated and a pleasant hotel, although the Standard Room lacks space, comfort and adequate lighting to read. We would definitely stay there again, but order the next priced room.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Nice spot, nothing elegant. Nice front desk - very helpful. A walk to Metro.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends