“Disappointed - poor wifi spoiled my experience”

Hotel Etats-Unis Opera
Ranked #566 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is located in a great area - near the Opéra Garnier, easy access to metro, Roissybus, with good shopping nearby.

My room was clean and comfortable, and spacious (by Paris standards) and the reception staff were courteous and friendly.

Breakfast in the hotel costs €12 and was probably not great value, but there are bakeries/cafés in the area nearby with much nicer pastries and coffee.

The "free wifi" was very disappointing.
The download speed was 11 kB/sec, which is slower than old dial-up, and connection would frequently drop out. I tried connecting with an ethernet cable, but the speed was the same.
At best, a facebook page on the web browser took 2minutes to load.
I was unable to skype with my family at home, nor was I effectively able to upload photos to share.

I complained to the evening manager who said their internet was a 'little slow' but there was no fault. He suggested my iPhone and ipad may be faulty/having trouble with the connection.

I tried in all areas of the hotel, over two nights, and the fastest download speed (using the Speedtest app) was 11 KB/sec consistently.

I went to the (nearby) Apple store and tried the wifi there. The download speed there was 1000 kB/second, and there was definitely no fault with my iPhone or iPad.

For me, functioning internet access in a hotel is essential for my travelling needs.
Even if I have to pay for it.

To be fair, the hotel was otherwise clean, & comfortable, with friendly staff and a good location.

However I would not choose to stay at the hotel again.

Room Tip: Some rooms on higher floors have a view of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Etats-Unis Opera

Reviewed April 13, 2013

I would characterize this place as (great location - 5-10 minutes to Louvre by walking and 2 minutes from Opera Garnier). The hotel is nice, clean, panoramic windows. The price is high but it deserves this money for location. The size of room is 20 sq meters in total (incl. bathroom and hall and I guess balcony :) everything is in good state It's obviously that they control the state of everything. We asked the high floor originally and it was good idea, 6th floor with good as it's possible on Avenue Opera city view. 2 minutes from Opera subway station. Have a good trip!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

small and nice hotel, VERY close to opera so you're at the center of the main attraction area. Walking distance to Louvre. Close to restaurants are in the Rue's surrounding the hotel. Opera metro station is close, and it's also a walking distance from the Roissy bus stop that transfer you from Opera to CDG

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed with this cozy hotel for 3 nights during my business trip to Paris. The main advantage of the hotel is its location. Everything you need is right there – plenty of promenades, sightseeing, cafes, shopping facilities (including Galeries Lafayette), metro… The staff is worth mentioning as well – it’s very friendly and benevolent. Though I was solo I’d booked Double and it turned to be fine, the room was spacious enough (Single is a tin, in fact) and I believe it will be good for a couple. Breakfast is modest so do not expect to see variety of meals in the morning. Rooms are clean and made up on daily basis.
The only negative I faced was the internet. Despite of 3 or 4 Wi-Fi spots available it performed extremely slowly (or did not at all) whichever you chose to connect.
My main conclusion is that the hotel is fine for both travel and business purposes, for solos and couples though I would not recommend it for families with small children.

PS if you happen to come late at night don’t be terrified (like I was) by absence of any human existence in the hotel – though doors are deadly shut and there’s no single sign of light in the darkness in front of your eyes, there’s a small magic button on your left – a night bell, in fact..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple spent three nights in Paris at this hotel in September of 2012 and were extremely satisfied. They have everything you could possibly need. Competent and helpful staff were always available, a lift, a nice bar, a comfortable lounge and reception area, wifi and a computer at a reasonable fee, breakfast, etc. Our rooms were comfortable, safe and clean with comfortable beds. The location is near to the Opera Garnier, the subway, hop on/off bus and city bus stops were just a block away. There is also a major shopping center just blocks away but we didn't have time to visit. If we're fortunate enough to revisit Paris we would again stay at this lovel hotel.

Room Tip: Several of the rooms on the top floor have a view of the Eiffel Tower. Lovely at night.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OcieBea
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights for business and was pleasantly surprised. My room was spacious for a Parisian hotel, very clean, friendly staff and a great bar with life every night. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Alexis T
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The hotel is a bit old but clean with friendly staff, pretty big rooms and not much noise. The bed was comfortable and bathroom ok.

Positives:
- Combination of an old hotel and a late 70s reconstruction (my guess). Gives it a unique atmosphere.

Negatives:
- Breakfast was actually pretty bad. No cheese, no ham or salami, no vegetables, just some half rotten fruits.
- I know Paris is expensive but still I find 185E for one night/1person to be a bit too much.

Overall:
It's not a hotel you would seek out and look forward staying at but it's an ok solution if something better is booked (my case)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business