Hotel Gavarni
Fred Hotel(Paris)(Great Value!)
$88
$82
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Elysees Union(Paris)(Great Value!)
$322
Travelocity
$206
getaroom.com
  • Room Service
All reviewspassy metro stationeiffel towergreat locationbetween floorsnight stay in parismin walking distancestayed for nightslovely hotelboiled eggsparisian hotelsmall liftaround the cornermini barbusiness tripcroissantswould definitely stay here againarc de triomphe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 30, 2009

I was looking for a hotel around Passy and booked at Hotel Gavarni based on its high Tripadvisor rating and very reasonable rate (substantially lower than other hotels in the area), advertised at the hotel web site. I was not disappointed.

Reception staff were polite and helpful. I was staying in a "large single" room, with a double bed. The room may seem quite small, but it's actually about average for a Parisian hotel (at Hotel des Trois Nations, it was half the size). The room was clean and cozy, furniture in good condition if a little dated. A small desk and minibar were useful. Satellite TV had several English language channels; wi-fi worked very well. The room was cleaned daily.

Bathroom is also small but adequate, with enough shelves to place the toiletries (makes a difference!).

Nothing major in the way of complaints. The hotel and the room were just a little dated, and the bar downstairs is tiny and empty - I only saw somebody there once.

Location is good, with a variety of shopping, several restaurants, and a metro station a couple blocks away - 4 stops away from Champs Elysées and within a walk of Eiffel Tower.

Overall I'm quite happy with Hotel Gavarni and would certainly return.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was my third visit to Hotel Gavarni. It's a charming hotel. Clean, attractive rooms. Helpful, friendly staff. Great location. I intentionally chose this hotel again because I had such a positive experience during my previous visits. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Overall had a very so-so experience with this cute little hotel tucked away on a little side street in the fashionable district of Passy.

After some negotiations, I was able to secure two rooms here at a reasonable price for Paris. Unfortunately we were not able to get two rooms for the first night of our stay in Paris so the hotel found us another hotel for my partner and I to stay at whilst my mother could still stay at Hotel Gavarni.

The problems commenced when Hotel Gavarni mistakenly charged my account for our stay a month prior to our visit. They made an error in the date of our booking. I was refunded the money but not in full and I was promised a bottle of champagne on arrival to make up for this error. Of course when we arrived at the hotel this was not there and we had to ask for the bottle on leaving the hotel which was uncomfortable.

We spent the first night at a hotel around the corner called Hôtel Passy Eiffel (see my review of this hotel). Funnily the Passy Eiffel rooms were much bigger and much more appealing than Hotel Gavarni and we were disappointed we had not found this hotel first.

On arriving at the Gavarni, we were shocked to see how small our rooms were and our hideous view looking out onto an office block. Not exactly the boutique hotel we were expecting. We asked to move rooms to look out to the street, unfortunately our room only had two single beds pushed together, so my partner and I spent the night falling into the crack. The rooms are not soundproof and we could hear our neighbours and the cleaner.

Breakfast was so-so. We found the staff rude and unfriendly. It seemed like they really did not want to be there.

Overall I would not return to Hotel Gavarni.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We found this hotel through a tour book. We checked out the reviews in Trip Advisor, and most of the comments were favorable, so we decided to try it since most of the hotels in Paris were sold out. We have been in Paris several times, and we had always stayed in the more touristy places around Blvd. Haussman or Madaline.

Hotel Gavarni was tucked in a small street. The neighborhood feels great, full of energy during the day, and it feels very Parisian. There are a lot of stores around this area, and even a small movie theater (in comparison to the American sized movie theaters). The staff was excellent! We never had such a good experience with friendly Parisian hotel staff members. Most hotel staff members are never rude to us but we always feel a bit of attitude. The staff members at Gavarni made us feel so welcomed! They were all attentive, and polite, with a smile on every time they saw us!

We stayed at the "Versailles" suite. It was nice and feminine. Although the description read "view of the Eiffel Tower", the view was pretty much a peak a the top of the Eiffel Tower. The room was big enough but the bathroom was tiny. The hotel is overall very unpretentious, but at least to us it felt more "real".
The elevator was very small (only two people could fit there comfortably). The location was OK. It is located in a less touristy area, that's why to us it felt more real. The nearest metro is Passy, which is a very short walk from the hotel, like 3 blocks. The supermarket is just around the corner, which at first it doesn't even look like a supermarket, since it looks like a department store with clothes and makeup in the front entrance.

The hotel includes breakfast, which is OK. Not the best fancy breakfast, but it was good, and enough to satisfy us. If you are more of the bacon, sausage and eggs type of person, this breakfast might be on the light side. The breakfast feels more like what a true Parisian will eat for breakfast. They serve the baguette, croissant and chocolate croissant in an individual basket. The hot chocolate is great!

I would highly recommend this hotel for it's service. We don't know how a regular room looks, but I assume that it will be on the small size. The Versailles suite's size is more like a regular American hotel room.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank LABUNNY
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We would certainly stay again the next time we're in Paris. The neighborhood was also very good.

Stayed: May 2008