“This is one place where you SHOULD believe the hype !”

Grand Hotel Francais
Ranked #100 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Stayed at this hotel recently for a 3 night stay, having been treated to a trip of our choice by the wife's very generous parents. Having scoured Tripadvisor and read the reviews, for the budget we had this hotel seemed very much to fit the bill, and seeing as we secured the last available room for the time we were there, we figured it was a good choice. That proved to be an understatement as it lived up to, and indeed, surpassed expectations.
Arrived mid afternoon to a friendly welcome and an immediate apology to the fact that work was going on to redecorate reception and install a new bar area. Lift up to our room to dump our bags and have a look around, found us with a very well appointed and clean room (yes, it was small, but in fact large for a 3 star Paris hotel) with 2 balconies looking over the Bvd, 3 complimentary waters waiting for us in the fridge and a note saying if we wanted the mini-bar filled to let reception know and they could advise on prices (we didn't take them up on the offer but it's a nice touch that you have a small fridge you can keep your own drinks in). A small safe for your belongings, flat-screen tv on the wall and a compact bathroom which was well-appointed with the most fantastic shower (and we've got a very good one at home as it is) we've ever had the pleasure to stand under. Slippers, clean fluffy towels and the usual complimentary toiletries.
The hotel was literally 1 minute from the exit of Rue de Boulets Metro stop, and about 5 minutes from the Metro/RER hub station at Nation, so getting anywhere on public transport was a doddle - took us 20 minutes from Gare du Nord including changing lines at Oberkampf !. Most of the sights can be reached in anything from 10-20 minutes from the time you walk out of the door to the time you get off your Metro/RER train, but it's actually nice to walk - and we did a lot of that - walking to Notre Dame took us about 35 mins at a leisurely pace.
The manager, Zyad, was tremendously helpful, making recommendations for places to eat locally, and when we asked him to make us a reservation at another Bistro for our last night in Paris he and his staff literally kept at it for nearly 24 hours until they managed to get through to the Bistro and get us a table - now that's Ritz level service at a 3 star price !
Could go on and on - but you'd get bored. We've travelled extensively, and my wife has been to Paris on a number of occasions before we met. We can be VERY critical of establishments if we feel we don't get the service or facilities we have paid for - but we cannot criticise this hotel at all. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel - just grabbed a coffee and croissant on the way to our morning destination - and anyway it's nice to sit at a brasserie watching the world go by as you have your petit dejuner. The room was always impeccibly cleaned during our stay, On checking out we were able to leave our luggage in the care of the hotel as we had a 6pm Eurostar booked back to England, and it allowed us to get a final bit of sightseeing/lunch in with the knowledge our belongings were being safely cared for.
I never thought I'd enjoy Paris as much as I did - it was my first visit to the city in nearly over 30 years since I was a child, and I didn't know what to expect. I had a great time, and a large part of that was due to the fact we had such a great hotel with the most fantastic service, which meant the only "fretting" we had to do was where to eat ( and believe me - that CAN be a problem - as our guidebook said it's really hard to get a bad meal in Paris - so you are spoilt for choice on good food ! ).

We had no plans to rush back to Paris - for me I thought it would be a nice trip and that's it - but even before we came back I was saying I want to go back - and if I can't stay at the Grand Francais, then we'll be timing our trip so we can - because we're not staying anywhere else in Paris !

1  Thank dmorvanuk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,052)

Reviewed September 14, 2009

Only stayed one night but it was ideally situated and very clean and comfortable. Room and Bathroom small but when its only for sleeping it's not a problem. Breakfast adequate. Researched local restaurant through Tripadvisor which turned out to be fantastic also. Will never go anywhere again without checking here first

1  Thank cruisevirgin
Reviewed September 13, 2009

We located this hotel on Tripadviser and having read the good reviews for the Grand Hotel Francais, we made our reservation.
The hotel is ideally located and is very close to several Metro and RER locations.
The hotel is in a very lively area with a very diverse range of restaurants/pubs/bars.

The Hotel itself is very very good : staff are extremely helpful and friendly and the room in which we stayed (on the 3rd floor) was very clean and tidy and had a great view of the Boulevard Voltaire.
Sayed - the manager/owner - was extremely helpful too.

We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank ShayMary
Reviewed September 12, 2009

Stayed for 4 nights, and had a 5th floor room with Balcony. To be honest the balcony was a nice touch but isn't really a factor in how good this place is so don't worry if you don't get one!

Room very modern, bathroom the same (fabulous shower!) and the TV was great with a load of channels including BBC World News and CNN.

Staff very friendly but not overbearing, and give great helpful advice. Location is very good also in that it's very handy to the Metro, and also within easy walking distance of Bastille for cafe's, pubs etc, in the evening.

Will definitely stay here again next time im in Paris, and recommend you do too!!

Oh and the free wifi is great, just remember to ask for the password each day at reception!

1  Thank phoneticduck
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I live in this hotel approx.one week.It is good hotel , rooms small but clean,breakfast good with butter , jam , ham,salami etc .Cakes for coffee to be very,very good.

But don't understand why it was required deposit guaranty !!?

1  Thank CristinaBucuresti
Reviewed September 9, 2009

we had a room on the 5th floor with balcony & views over the tree tops down the street -- fabulous!
very clean, bed was extremely comfy & loved the complimentary slippers!
staff helpful & friendly.
would definately go again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vic15Scotland
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Came to Paris for a long weekend, and ended up at this hotel because of all of the great reviews here on Tripadvisor. After staying for three nights, I can honestly say that the hotel easily lived up to the great reviews.

I was able to book a Superior room, but after telling Zyad that it was our first trip to Paris, I was upgraded to a priveledge room. Zyad and his day staff are extemely helpful in every way, and had answers to all of our questions. He is extremely nice, and speaks perfect english!

The room was small, but exactly what I expected, and the bed was super comfortable. The view from our room was very nice, and the room was also very quiet. I must say that the shower was fantastic with great water pressure, and tons of hot water. We also had a bath tub in our room which was also very nice for my girlfriend. The rooms were very clean, and offered a safe, and refridgerator in the room.

Like everyone has said before, the location is wonderful with a great bakery, supermarket, and internet cafe all withing 100 yards.
The metro was also within a few blocks in both directions and took only a few minutes to reach. The Metro station at Nation was best for us as it allowed us to travel to the entire city and return back to our hotel in no time at all.

Breakfast was fresh and adequate, but if you are an American looking for eggs and bacon, you wont find it here. Just pasteries, fruit, and cold cuts and rolls, but also amazing coffee!!! I had a deal for free breakfast and if i didnt have it, I dont think I would say it is worth 10 Euros for that breakfast even though it was good. there are cheaper options for the money down the road.

All in all I would definitly stay at this hotel again, and highly reccomend it to anyone who will be visiting Paris!

PS..Remember to bring an electric adaptor because although the hotel provides them as best they can, we were without one for our first night because there were so many given out to other guests. I would just bring my own to make sure you can charge your camera or phone batteries if needed. Better to be safe then sorry!

Once again Zyad, thank you for a great visiti to your fine hotel!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple