“NightMare”

Ranked #1,629 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Carlow, Ireland
“NightMare”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We booked this hotel four weeks before our stay and paid in full. On arrival we were told that the hotel internet was down for the previous 3 days and that they had overbooked so they had no room for us until the following day. We were told to walk to another nearby hotel - with our bags - and come back next morning for breakfast. We told them to wanted a taxi to the other hotel ( 15 minutes by taxi!!!) - which was a 2 star and filthy - hairs on the floor, in bed and pokey room. We spent a very bad night there.

Next morning we went back to New Hotel Candide and was advised to leave our luggage in storage and that a room would be free at 12 noon. We told them that we wanted our room after breakfast which we got.

This was a very bad start to our holiday and we were given the impression by the staff that this was an acceptable way to treat hotel guests coming to stay in Paris. (We travel to European cities at least twice a year and have never been treated like this before)

The room was small, very basic but bed was comfortable. No extras - shower caps, tea/coffee making facilities and the hair dryer was from the 60's. Would never recommend this hotel after our experience.

Signed:Experienced Traveller

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Breda1951
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear client,
We have noted your comments regarding your stay at the New Hotel Candide in Paris and your problem of changing the hotel.
Sorry that your appreciation of the New Hotel Candide was marred by this unfortunate experience, and hope you will give us the opportunity to be better hosts in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fgura,, Malta
Reviewed October 5, 2012

we have been for 2 nights in this horrible hotel, rooms are very small and need a full refurbishment, the waiter in the restaurant is very very arrogant and idiot person , although breakfast was sufficiently good. the receptionists are a little bit better although not too much helpful. in my opinion tourists must stay away from here!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank malteseFgura_Malta
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Client,
We are sorry to read that you did not appreciate your stay with us. As we explained to you, we cannot let clients bring food from the breakfast to their room or for take away as it has to be consumed at the restaurant. We understand you were not happy with that but it is our policy. We hope we will have the chance to host you again in one of our hotel.
Best regards

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

This is not a luxury hotel. On the other hand, it gives great value for money. The rooms are not large, but are comfortable enough. The breakfast is not too fancy but it is copious. The staff is extremely friendly. And the location, whole not in the center of the main tourist areas, is in a very pleasant neighborhood well served by restaurants, supermarkets, and other shops. The nearest metro stop is less than 100 meters away, so getting around is really no problem. Also, the Bastille and Marais neighborhoods are within easy walking distance. It is important to ask for a room facing the street. These rooms are larger and better lit. If you're looking for a luxurious accommodation, then you can spend your money, a lot more money, elsewhere. But, if you want a place to call home while visiting Paris, and to leave enough money in your pocket to do some shopping without guilt, then this place is definitely worth considering. We would come back here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mike47TelAviv_Israel
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear customer, we thank you for your comment and your choice, we hope to welcome you again and count you among our loyal customers.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed here for 4nights the hotel was good very silent, clean.. and more over very close to the station and this is just a 3* hotel not a 5* so everything will be small.. very good WiFi connection.. breakfast was good,,very helpful staff in reception.. they helped us every time ..this is the first time we stayed in this hotel but we were happy staying there..

Room Tip: 304 3rd floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Infantaeddy
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Customer
Thank you for your comment and your stay at New Hotel Candide, we will be happy to welcome you again and make your stay even better.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk informed us that the elevator was broken but would be fixed by the time we leave in 3 days. We had to personally haul our luggage up three flights of stairs, with no offer of assistance from the hotel staff. When we left, the elevator was not fixed and again, we received no assistance.

During our whole course of stay, nobody cleaned our room.

One night, we called front desk to help us call for a taxi in 20 minutes and inform us when he has done so or if the taxi has arrived. We waited over an hour, and still received no answer from front desk. Therefore, we called back and the staff just said he tried calling for a taxi but nobody answered. We ended up just walking a couple blocks away from the hotel in order to find a taxi.

Another night, we accidentally knocked a wine glass over so there was broken glass all over the washroom. Again, we attempted to call front desk for room service to help us clean it up. They stated there was no room service available. Therefore, we requested if we could at least have a broom to clean it up ourselves. They said alright, and we waited over an hour but nobody ever came up. We ended up having to leave the broken glass lying there until after we checked out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AmeliaC936
Kamal_Barouti, Director at New Hotel Candide, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear guest,

We have received your comments regarding your stay at New Hotel Candide in Paris and your problem : Regarding the lift, we apologize for the work of the latter to improve the comfort of our guests, we were obliged to stop it for three days, but offered to all our customers who wanted to mount their luggage by our staff.
Know that we are very attentive to the quality of service that our customers are, entitled to expect from our hotel and that is why we deeply regret not being able to give you full satisfaction. Sorry your appreciation of New Hotel Candide was marred by this unfortunate experience, and hope you will give us the opportunity to be better hosts in the near future.
Belfast
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here in July on a work trip, and it's taken me a while to write this review as I needed time to take a breather after the experience of staying here. As the title of my review says... where do I start. It's like the staff in this hotel came from The Basil Fawlty School of Excellence. I chose the hotel as I was working in the area, and on their website it stated the rooms all had wi-fi and a "business centre", which was important so I could work. On arrival I was told the wi-fi in the rooms was broken but it worked in the reception and that it would be fixed on Monday. OK, nothing I could do about that, I would just use my laptop in reception until Monday. The room was a single room on the top floor (608) and it was absolutely tiny. I've never seen anything like it, even for paris. It was a single bed, with just enough room to walk around the bed and no more, there were sloping ceilings so it felt even smaller. The next day I discovered my hairdryer didn't work, I was meeting clients to I had to look half presentable! I went downstairs to reception to ask if they had a spare I could borrow, but they didn't so they gave me a key to another room to dry my hair and offered to move me as it was the weekend and the engineer would fix it during the week. So I packed my bag and brought it down to reception to be ready for my new room, and went out to work. When I returned in the afternoon I was given the key to my new room - I went upstairs and entered the room, to find someone else's personal possessions in the room, including a laptop, a suitcase, electrical equipment... needless to say the security risk here is horrendous, this person obviously did not expect another guest to have a key to their room. I went back downstairs and told the receptionist... who panicked because he thought that they had taken me out of my first room and given it to someone else. After lots of rummaging through paper and scrolling up and down his computer screen he thought to ask my name, and realised that in fact they'd never moved me out of the first room at all and that's where I ended up again as the hotel was full. That night, I went into the bathroom and almost slipped on the massive puddle of water on the floor - the ceiling was leaking (pouring with water) - as it was very late and I knew the hotel was full, I went back to bed and decided to report it in the morning. The next morning I went down to reception and reported the leak, the receptionist said "Which room?" "608" "Aah yes." So they were aware of this leak??? They promised to move me this time so once again I packed my bag and headed out to work. In the afternoon when I came back they had indeed moved me, to an equally tiny room just next to my old one. The next day was Monday, I was assured the wi-fi would be fixed because working at reception was very distracting, and the business centre was no more than a table and computer at the reception area. The wi-fi never worked in my room the whole time I stayed there. On Tuesday I had booked a room for a colleague who was coming to join me for one night, as I had made the reservations they had my number. On Monday afternoon while I was sitting at reception working, I got a voicemail from the hotel saying they had double booked my colleague and were moving her to a different hotel. I went round the corner to speak to them and when they realised it was me who'd already had so many problems, they just laughed. I asked about the double booking and they responded with "We just mixed up the dates, that's all. A simple mistake." Is that not their job....?? Booking rooms on specific dates for guests....? Anyway, nothing to be done so I contacted my colleague with details of her hotel, she had a lucky escape to be honest. On the morning I was checking out, I went to get my bill (it had been prepaid but I needed the invoice) and was asked for €544. I explained it had been prepaid, and then once again lots of rummaging of papers, scrolling of computer screens, and I looked at the bill again and realised they had given me someone else's bill. Don't ask me how, I just don't know. I also asked for a copy of the bill for my colleague's room and was told they had no record. We eventually found record of the payment, but I spent a good 20 minutes checking out of a hotel despite prepaying the room and having no other incidentals. Disaster from start to finish. No communication between staff, disorganised chaos all over the place. I can't even say the hotel facilities were good value for money, the hotel is old, tired, rooms unacceptably small, and expensive. The breakfast was OK I suppose.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Customer,
We have received your comments regarding your stay at New Hotel Candide in Paris and your FREE WIFI problem that had just been installed for our clients and other annoyances. Know that we are very attentive to the quality of service that our customers are, entitled to expect from our hotel and thit is why we deeply regret not being able to give you full satisfaction. Sorry that your appreciation of New Hotel Candide was marred by this unfortunate experience, and hope you will give us the opportunity to be better hosts in the near future, making sure the best home.

In the meantime you and reiterating our apologies, please suggest Sir, the assurances of our highest consideration.
Warrington, England
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife have stayed at this hotel on several visits to Paris, it is within easy walking didtance of the Paris Metro and close to 'bus stops for travell the short distance to the main attractions.
We have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.
Each time we stay I remark on the silence, considering that we are in one of the world's busiest cities.
Close at hand are a variety of restaurants and cafés that cater for most tastes whether it be Italian, Oriental or French.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the rear which are quieter than those at the front
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Dear Customer
Thank you for your comment and your loyalty. We will be happy to welcome you and your wife during your next stay in Paris.