“No Frills, But Clean, Safe, Good Location, Nice People”
Review of Villa Luxembourg

Villa Luxembourg
Ranked #922 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I saw all the negative reviews, but maybe things have been improved since then? I stayed here after leaving another hotel for being grubby and depressing. I stayed on the fifth floor in a very bright room with a small kitchenette and mini bar. The hotel was very clean and the ladies who cleaned it on a daily basis kept it very tidy.

Hotels rooms in Paris are TINY, like hotels in NYC.

So to compare this to an American hotel it's about on the level on a Best Western. Very basic, but I was quite comfortable. And who comes to Paris to stay in the hotel?

I'd stay here again if I was trying to spend my money on shopping, and not sink a lot of money in the room.

Room Tip: Room 504 is nice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank A-Silver-Sparrow

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July 2012 ... as we were assigned from another hotel that belonged to the same network. The hotel is rated as a 4 star one, but this is far from reflecting in the quality of the services and in the comfort it has to offer.
The rooms are quite small and sometimes there was mold smell.
On the upside, the Vavin metro station is very close to the hotel and the area is very nice.

All in all - you could find a better place to stay in Paris for the same money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sergiu_pienar
Reviewed October 11, 2012

How terribly excited we were to find a reasonably priced hotel for our first trip to Paris that looked on-line to meet our expectations - small, quaint, affordable, close to the metro - something that would give us a flavor of Paris. Our excitement soon turned into a major disappoinment from the moment we checked-in. The rooms had not been updated in years; they smelled of mold and whatever the guests were cooking for dinner; the bathrooms were midewed, the sheets not changed, the hotel lobby an embarassment - need I go on to list the other less than desirable qualities ??? To make matters worse, the hotel staff was basically indifferent and did not go out of their way to attend to concerns. There is no way around it - your hotel stay really impacts your vacation, particularly when you are travelling in another country. If you plan on enjoying your Paris experience, FIND ANOTHER HOTEL!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank DonnaN762
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I should have checked the reviews before booking. We booked this for our 1st wedding anniversary weekend, all I can say is we didn't spend much time in the hotel because of the condition of the room. In fact it was my first time in Paris & if I had been before, I think we would have returned home. The room was old, and smelt stale no air con, bedding was very shabby. The wifi was not available in your room, the room was cleaned properly. The only thing was the location. I have stayed in 2 star hotels which are better than this......shameful for the price you pay!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Booked this hotel based on the photos and descriptions on the internet, looking for a reasonably priced air conditioned hotel with an American breakfast included. If we paid in advance, we got a night free, so we were interested. We paid 168 Euro per night, and the hotel was a dump. I think the last time the bedspreads were cleaned, Charles de Gaulle was in power. I was told the sheets were changed daily, but they were changed only after I complained. I used a glass for water, and after the maid had cleaned the room, the glass was returned to its place without being washed. The light in my bathroom burned out on Friday, and could not be changed until Monday, as there was no one there who could change the bulb and no one could find a new one. People were cooking in their rooms and the hotel smelled badly of the spices and ingredients used to cook. The rug smelled like a mixture of cigarette smoke and mold. We were told it was a non-smoking hotel. The wifi didn't work in the rooms and barely worked in what is jokeingly referred to the "lobby." There were four ragged chairs grouped around an old worn coffee table. The air conditioning didn't work. Couldn't open the windows because there were no screens and the windows either opened onto the outdoor patio of the restaurant next door or to the main street, which was busy with traffic 24/7. The breakfast consisted of powdered scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon rewarmed each day, some salami and ham, packaged cheese, and no cream for the coffee. The cereal was stale. The rolls were good as were the croissants. If it were not included in the price of the room, I would not have eaten there a second time. The hotel was near the subway station. That's the only good thing about it's location. We endured this place for 5 days. When we went to check out, the desk clerk claimed we had not paid for our rooms and that we owed 12 Euro/day for the breakfast. We had to produce our receipts before he would clear the bill. Do not, I repeat, do not stay at this dump, I know my expectations of a hotel are high because I am an American, but a Motel 6 is cleaner and nicer.

Room Tip: Don't choose one is this dump.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ann M
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed 5 nights in this hotel, the airconditioning negligeable but the room and the bathroom was large and clean and the breakfast was good and the location of the hotel was nice there is many restaurant and 10 min walking a monoprix and lafayette and C&A boutique and RER gare station but the vavin metro station is not a principal station, u should go always 2 or 3 stops and change metro to get to your destination.

Room Tip: choose a room in higher floors to be able to open the windom without hearing the noise of the street...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed 8 nights in this hotel which classes itself as a 4 star hotel, but which is more like a 2 star. The Reception staff were uninterested in their hotel patrons, spending a lot of time on their office computer. The reception area has tub chairs which are old and worn, which goes with the rest of the hotel. The room we had on the second floor was very small and very old and worn out. If we had not pre paid our stay we would have looked for another hotel. The bathroom was cramped and had mould in the lining of the sink. Our room had a connecting door with another room, which we could hear everything that was said from the other room. The elevator has pictures of lovely rooms, but when you look closer down the bottom it says they are rooms from their other hotels. There wasn't one thing about the hotel that was good, even the free wi fi which is only available in the reception area, only worked sometimes. Definitely not a hotel I would recommend to anyone. The location was probably the only redeeming feature. Lots of restaurants close by as well as ATM's and a supermarket and pharmacy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple