“Wifi is biggest redeeming attribute”
Review of Villa Luxembourg

Villa Luxembourg
Ranked #927 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I'll start with the positives:
-wifi is good and free
-desk staff (non-management) can be very courteous and helpful
-location is very good

Now, on to the rest of the review...! I only stayed here because I had pre-paid for 2 nights at Villa Luxembourg's sister hotel, Villa Montparnasse, which didn't have a room for me despite my reservation. I reluctantly went to Villa Luxembourg as I didn't have much choice seeing as I'd pre-paid for a room and I had been reassured by staff at Villa Montparnasse that Villa Luxembourg was equally as nice and of the same (4) star rating. Well, first thing I noticed on the way in is that the **** (4 stars) on the hotel's awning was covered up! The lobby is dated, but fine. The man at the front desk (an employee - not management) was very nice; no problems with him.
We were sent to the 6th floor to our room, and as soon as the elevator doors opened on the 6th floor we were hit with a disgusting sulphur / rotten egg smell that was overwhelming. Our room smelled like this, too, but staff had dumped a bottle of cheap cologne all over the room in an attempt to cover up the smell. Not sure what was worse, the sulphur or nasty cologne smell, or combination of both. We quickly noticed how dirty everything in the room appeared. The A/C also wasn't working in this room. We asked to be moved to a cleaner room and the staff accommodated. This room may have been cleaner than the first, but it was still FAR from clean. The photos I've attached in this review are from the 2nd, CLEANER room!! There was what appeared to be a blood spot on the wall. There was mould all around the rim of the sink. The grouting in the shower was absolutely disgusting. The electrical socket was falling out of the wall. Everything just has been so neglected that it was unbearable. I can deal with a dated appearance, but when everything feels unsanitary / unhygienic, that's a problem.
The pillows were like flapjacks. I read another review where they said the pillows were nice and soft - clearly I did not get the same pillows! They were like airline pillows: thin and small.
There were water / moisture stains on the wallpaper. It really felt like something out of a horror story.
So if you're looking for free wifi and a good location, perhaps this is the hotel for you. But that's only if you can live with an extremely filthy room, crummy pillows, mould, bad smells, dated appearances, and a fabricated 4-star rating.
I've read other reviews where people say they had a clean room. I find this very hard to believe based on my experience. Even if personal standards are greatly different, I can't think of a single person I know who might consider the room in which I stayed as "clean". Have a look at my pictures! And again, these photos are from the cleaner room I was moved to!
Management rarely works on location, so coming to a resolution is impossible. Do NOT pre-pay for a stay with this chain of hotels - you've been warned. Certainly seems like a bait & switch in my case. If it wasn't an intentional bait & switch, then management should be willing to come to a resolution (which to date they have been unavailable). I stayed only one miserable night here and promptly found another hotel nearby (a 3-star that far exceeded Villa Luxembourg in every measure) to accommodate me for my second and final night in Paris.

Room Tip: Find a room in another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This hotel, in which I have been staying on and off for about ten years, continues its gentle decline. The unwillingness of its owners to reinvest seriously in the property accounts for some of the problems other guests have identified. I was fortunate - no problems. Staff helpfulness is also hit and miss, but a friendly approach of one's own helps trigger a positive response, including in the breakfast room. I like the neighbourhood - very untouristy, but a mere walk away from the Latin Quarter, the Jardins du Luxembourg etc. The main positive feature of the hotel is that, leaving aside its rack rates which are excessive, there are nearly always excellent deals available on discount web sites. This is why I keep returning, in spite of occasional mishaps.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our family (2 adults and 2 young children) booked a family room for one night with Villa Luxembourg through Expedia. We checked in on the evening of July 28, 2012, and we were given 2 adjoining rooms instead of a family room. One of the rooms did not have electricity rendering its bathroom and air conditioning unusable as both the bathroom lighting and heat/air conditioning are dependent upon electricity. The front desk manager came to our rooms, but could not remedy the electrical situation nor provide a maintenance person to fix it. He also could not give us the family room that we originally booked or other adjoining rooms. This of course meant that we were left with one dysfunctional room and one functional room from which all air conditioning, lighting, electrical usage, and bathroom usage had to be supplied for the four of us. That evening I requested a hotel credit, discount, or reimbursement from the night manager for this inconvenience and problem pointing out that we were not receiving the value for which he had paid, but he deferred it to the morning desk manager. Upon check out the next morning on July 29, the morning desk manager said he could do nothing because we booked the trip through Expedia. The next day, July 30, I followed up with Expedia (who was very responsive and helpful), and they contacted the hotel. Expedia advised me that that the Villa Luxembourg management informed them that there was no electrical problem with either of our rooms and that they would therefore not provide any amount of compensation, discount or refund. I have never before written a review, and while I am not very concerned about compensation from the hotel for the inconvenience and problem, I am compelled to write a review because the Villa Luxembourg management failed to act with integrity and failed to tell the truth in this matter which is not limited to only one of its employees. Based upon my family's experience, our judgment is that Villa Luxembourg cannot and should not be trusted. We hope this review will help prevent others from having similar types of experiences with Villa Luxembourg.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Fred R
Thierry D, Directeur général at Villa Luxembourg, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Sir,
Please check on Expedia website the decription of what we call "Family Room" it is not a large room it is clearly said (at least on the French version of the site) that it is two adjoining rooms.
I am deeply sorry and for the electrical problem you encountered, the night you stayed at the Villa Luxembourg and for tha fact that we were not able to move you to another "Family Room".
Our hotel is a small unit and the technician we share with an other hotel is not available 24h a day 7 days a week.
In such a case I totally agree that you deserve a compensation but as you booked and paid your room through Expedia, only Expedia can refund you with our agreement and so far, despite what Expedia told you, they never contacted me on that matter.
Please fell free to contact them again, refering to this answer, so we can settle this case.
Best regards
Thierry J. DREANO
Manager

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed three nights at Villa Luxembourg. After some of the poor reviews I read, I wasn't sure about this place. Turned out we had a very nice, clean room with kitchenette, with view of Paris street scene. TV worked and even got some USA shows in English. Bathroom had tub and shower. The free continental breakfast had a very nice variety and food was good. This hotel is well located to taxi stands, subway or you can walk to various tourist sites. We enjoyed our stay here. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby. They let us check-in early (our flight arrived in Paris at 7:35 AM & we arrived at the hotel around 9:00 AM) which was super great. We started touring around as soon as we dumped our luggage in the room. Hotel was quiet too. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchenette (has two burner stove, small sink and small frig) and one facing...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

A basic hotel and more 2 star than 4 but clean.
Not sure worth 125 euros a night and also a fair walk from the centre of Paris but some nice eating places around including a superb Fish restaurant over the road.
The hotel was quiet with no real public areas apart from a downstairs breakfast room and a few chairs around the reception.
The lift small and only for 3 people plus rather slow specially if on the 6 th floor as I was.

Room clean but basic.

Room Tip: All rooms much the same. Personally I would look closer to the Luxembourg gardens which is beautifu...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I also stayed here during the June Road Scholar program, plus 2 nights on my own. I've stayed in many European hotels and this was about the same as others. I am a single, but the room i was in was not tiny. It is showing its age in bed linens and bathroom grouting, but habitable if one could give on a few issues. The up side is location/price (I paid $216 for each additional night.) Metro stops at 1 block and 3 blocks, two "super" markets, boulangerie, patisserie, fish market, pharmacy, dozens of high and medium end restaurants within 3 blocks, walk to Montparnasse Tower, Farmers market on Wed and Artists' market on sunday, one whole block of individual creperies, numerous cafes, and most of all, it's in a neighborhood where Parisians live. Many evenings I sat in my window onto the boulevard and watched people returning to their apartments across the street, carrying baguettes and bags of vegetables. Someone played Coltrane at the cafe across the street most evenings and that's how I drifted off to sleep!

Room Tip: If nighttime street sounds bother you (this is a boulevard and emergency vehicles abound) ask for a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank linda r
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I do not recommend staying at this hotel.
The shower had mold in all the tiles, cracks, and corners. It was disgusting to shower in. The shower head was loose so the water sprayed all over the bathroom whenever it was on.
Breakfast was ok, but we assumed it was free only later to find out we were being charged. We were never told breakfast was not included in the room rate.
Location is fine, just need to get around with the metro. I'm sure there are nuch better and CLEANER places to stay in Paris.

• Stayed: July 2012