“Not Trustworthy”

Ranked #1,137 of 1,801 Hotels in Paris
Menlo Park
“Not Trustworthy”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our family (2 adults and 2 young children) booked a family room for one night with Villa Luxembourg through Expedia. We checked in on the evening of July 28, 2012, and we were given 2 adjoining rooms instead of a family room. One of the rooms did not have electricity rendering its bathroom and air conditioning unusable as both the bathroom lighting and heat/air conditioning are dependent upon electricity. The front desk manager came to our rooms, but could not remedy the electrical situation nor provide a maintenance person to fix it. He also could not give us the family room that we originally booked or other adjoining rooms. This of course meant that we were left with one dysfunctional room and one functional room from which all air conditioning, lighting, electrical usage, and bathroom usage had to be supplied for the four of us. That evening I requested a hotel credit, discount, or reimbursement from the night manager for this inconvenience and problem pointing out that we were not receiving the value for which he had paid, but he deferred it to the morning desk manager. Upon check out the next morning on July 29, the morning desk manager said he could do nothing because we booked the trip through Expedia. The next day, July 30, I followed up with Expedia (who was very responsive and helpful), and they contacted the hotel. Expedia advised me that that the Villa Luxembourg management informed them that there was no electrical problem with either of our rooms and that they would therefore not provide any amount of compensation, discount or refund. I have never before written a review, and while I am not very concerned about compensation from the hotel for the inconvenience and problem, I am compelled to write a review because the Villa Luxembourg management failed to act with integrity and failed to tell the truth in this matter which is not limited to only one of its employees. Based upon my family's experience, our judgment is that Villa Luxembourg cannot and should not be trusted. We hope this review will help prevent others from having similar types of experiences with Villa Luxembourg.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Fred R
Thierry D, Directeur général at Villa Luxembourg, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Sir,
Please check on Expedia website the decription of what we call "Family Room" it is not a large room it is clearly said (at least on the French version of the site) that it is two adjoining rooms.
I am deeply sorry and for the electrical problem you encountered, the night you stayed at the Villa Luxembourg and for tha fact that we were not able to move you to another "Family Room".
Our hotel is a small unit and the technician we share with an other hotel is not available 24h a day 7 days a week.
In such a case I totally agree that you deserve a compensation but as you booked and paid your room through Expedia, only Expedia can refund you with our agreement and so far, despite what Expedia told you, they never contacted me on that matter.
Please fell free to contact them again, refering to this answer, so we can settle this case.
Best regards
Thierry J. DREANO
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed three nights at Villa Luxembourg. After some of the poor reviews I read, I wasn't sure about this place. Turned out we had a very nice, clean room with kitchenette, with view of Paris street scene. TV worked and even got some USA shows in English. Bathroom had tub and shower. The free continental breakfast had a very nice variety and food was good. This hotel is well located to taxi stands, subway or you can walk to various tourist sites. We enjoyed our stay here. There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby. They let us check-in early (our flight arrived in Paris at 7:35 AM & we arrived at the hotel around 9:00 AM) which was super great. We started touring around as soon as we dumped our luggage in the room. Hotel was quiet too. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchenette (has two burner stove, small sink and small frig) and one facing...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kent
Reviewed August 9, 2012

A basic hotel and more 2 star than 4 but clean.
Not sure worth 125 euros a night and also a fair walk from the centre of Paris but some nice eating places around including a superb Fish restaurant over the road.
The hotel was quiet with no real public areas apart from a downstairs breakfast room and a few chairs around the reception.
The lift small and only for 3 people plus rather slow specially if on the 6 th floor as I was.

Room clean but basic.

Room Tip: All rooms much the same. Personally I would look closer to the Luxembourg gardens which is beautifu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
sacramento
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I also stayed here during the June Road Scholar program, plus 2 nights on my own. I've stayed in many European hotels and this was about the same as others. I am a single, but the room i was in was not tiny. It is showing its age in bed linens and bathroom grouting, but habitable if one could give on a few issues. The up side is location/price (I paid $216 for each additional night.) Metro stops at 1 block and 3 blocks, two "super" markets, boulangerie, patisserie, fish market, pharmacy, dozens of high and medium end restaurants within 3 blocks, walk to Montparnasse Tower, Farmers market on Wed and Artists' market on sunday, one whole block of individual creperies, numerous cafes, and most of all, it's in a neighborhood where Parisians live. Many evenings I sat in my window onto the boulevard and watched people returning to their apartments across the street, carrying baguettes and bags of vegetables. Someone played Coltrane at the cafe across the street most evenings and that's how I drifted off to sleep!

Room Tip: If nighttime street sounds bother you (this is a boulevard and emergency vehicles abound) ask for a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank linda r
Milan, Italy
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I do not recommend staying at this hotel.
The shower had mold in all the tiles, cracks, and corners. It was disgusting to shower in. The shower head was loose so the water sprayed all over the bathroom whenever it was on.
Breakfast was ok, but we assumed it was free only later to find out we were being charged. We were never told breakfast was not included in the room rate.
Location is fine, just need to get around with the metro. I'm sure there are nuch better and CLEANER places to stay in Paris.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank hbuddle

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 2, 2012

When I first read the reviews I was quite afraid checking in but I was agreeably surprised.
The check in went smooth and the room I got was spacious and clean.
The staff was always very helpful and not only to me but to others that stayed in the hotel.

The minus is that the wi-fi is only available in the lobby (but, in the other hand who stays in? It's Paris! :) ).

I would not take any breakfast in the hotel, I think it is too expensive for what it is.
The hotel is really well located and there are many good cafes and bakeries around.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DanR31
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed here on a Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel) program for 10 nights in June 2012 (7 nights with Road Scholar plus 2 nights independently prior to the program and 1 night after the program ended). Road Scholar chose this hotel – it is not something that I would have picked if I was traveling on my own. I had a single room on the 3rd floor. Although the room was clean and the bed was comfortable, it lacked such basics as a luggage rack for one’s suitcase or drawers to put one’s clothes. Also, there was no place in the room to put toiletries other than the small area around the kitchen sink. My bathroom sink was clogged, thereby causing the water to take a long time to drain, and as a result I had to wind up doing half of my nightly hand laundry in the kitchen sink. There was no wifi internet access in the room. Even if there was, I would have been unable to use the desk chair because there was not enough space between the bed and the desk to move the chair to get in and out of it. Although there physically was a desk chair, I don't know why the hotel bothered purchasing one because the back of the chair was smack against the bed and the front was smack against the desk. It was totally useless.

Others in my group had more serious problems with their hotel room than I did, such as inability to open the window, no water coming out of their shower, the plug in their bathtub not working so they couldn’t take a bath, or the stopper on their bathroom sink didn’t come up. People in the group who requested a share with someone of the same sex previously unknown to them were in beds that were very close together that couldn’t be separated. In other words, there was no personal privacy, not even for sleeping. There were not enough closet hangers for one person, let alone for two. Unrelated people who requested to share also had to share the same safe deposit box in the room (causing one of them to wind up with her roommate’s passport, which wasn’t discovered until she arrived at the airport for her return flight and was denied boarding). Under the circumstances I would not recommend sharing a room with anyone other than a close relative or friend. And even then the rooms were too small for two people, including married couples.

Free wifi is available only in the hotel lobby, but using one’s own computer was not very comfortable because the table was much lower than the chair and one had to bend way forward in order to read and write messages. Unrelated to the computer, there were only 4 chairs in the lobby which was not enough for my group of 25. The physical look and atmosphere of the lobby was dark and gloomy, regardless of whether one sat there or not – it was readily apparent the moment I entered the hotel for the first time upon arrival. For unknown reason, the last morning of my trip I was unable to access my email in the hotel lobby because suddenly from out of the blue a firewall was imposed on my email accessibility which the desk clerk was unable to explain. I had no such problem during the previous 9 days of my stay. It was not a computer virus because my laptop was working fine once I returned home. The hotel also has a desktop computer in the lobby (and the desk staff permitted access to another one in a back room right off the lobby attached to a printer where one could print out the boarding pass for the return flight), but those computers had the French keyboard and were thus difficult, if not impossible, to negotiate.

Not only was the lobby not conducive for large tour groups such as mine, but neither was the hotel’s sole elevator, which held perhaps 6 or 7 people at most. One frequently had to wait a while for it to arrive (although there was always the option of using the steps). The elevator was directly adjacent to a mirror in the lobby that gave an optical illusion that there were two elevators, but in actuality there was only one.

Breakfast was included in our room rate. I have taken many previous trips to Paris (over 10 times) and stayed in hotels where the breakfast buffet included a selection of fine French cheeses such as Brie, Roquefort, Camembert, Chevre, etc. But not in this hotel. Our selection of cheese was limited to thin, individual slices of Edam cheese pre-wrapped in cheap plastic. Tacky, tacky, tacky! That is not what I expected from a Parisian breakfast! Edam isn’t even a French cheese! DeGaulle would be turning in his grave!

All of this would have been expected for a bargain basement hotel. But I would never have expected this lack of quality in a hotel that cost $267 a night for the 3 nights I spent on my own (I assume Road Scholar got a cheaper, group rate for the other 7 nights). Although the hotel had a great location in the heart of Montparnasse, I would take the advice of others on this forum and for the same money find a different hotel in the same neighborhood. This hotel is not worth the money.

As a final strike against the hotel, the airport shuttle van that a hotel desk clerk called for me several days prior to my return flight never arrived at the scheduled time (nor even a half hour later) and I had to wind up paying 60 Euros (approximately US $75) to take a taxi to the airport, which is not what I had intended. While this probably can’t be blamed on the hotel itself, it is certainly symbolic and representative of the less than mediocre quality of the hotel as a whole.

I will not miss this hotel and didn’t even say goodbye to the desk clerk when I left. Avoid this hotel at all costs! If you are contemplating coming here with Road Scholar, you can’t say I didn’t warn you. In my opinion this hotel is the sole reason why their educational study program Independent Paris: People, Places, Culture is currently quality-evaluated by previous participants as a 4.7 instead of the highest level of 5. Road Scholar used to use a much better hotel in the Marais District for this program and in my humble opinion they should go back to using it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo