Hotel Villa Luxembourg
$198
$168
Official Site
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel La Manufacture(Paris)(Great Value!)
$138
$117
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Elysees Union(Paris)(Great Value!)
$294
$224
Orbitz.com
$400
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsvavin metro stationgreat locationla coupoleboulevard montparnassedouble glazingminute walkpleasant hotelnice neighborhoodrer bthe hotel staffstayed here for two nightsrestaurants in the areacdg airportbuffet breakfastrooms are smalleiffel towermicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I do not recommend staying at this hotel.
The shower had mold in all the tiles, cracks, and corners. It was disgusting to shower in. The shower head was loose so the water sprayed all over the bathroom whenever it was on.
Breakfast was ok, but we assumed it was free only later to find out we were being charged. We were never told breakfast was not included in the room rate.
Location is fine, just need to get around with the metro. I'm sure there are nuch better and CLEANER places to stay in Paris.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank hbuddle
Reviewed July 2, 2012

When I first read the reviews I was quite afraid checking in but I was agreeably surprised.
The check in went smooth and the room I got was spacious and clean.
The staff was always very helpful and not only to me but to others that stayed in the hotel.

The minus is that the wi-fi is only available in the lobby (but, in the other hand who stays in? It's Paris! :) ).

I would not take any breakfast in the hotel, I think it is too expensive for what it is.
The hotel is really well located and there are many good cafes and bakeries around.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DanR31
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed here on a Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel) program for 10 nights in June 2012 (7 nights with Road Scholar plus 2 nights independently prior to the program and 1 night after the program ended). Road Scholar chose this hotel – it is not something that I would have picked if I was traveling on my own. I had a single room on the 3rd floor. Although the room was clean and the bed was comfortable, it lacked such basics as a luggage rack for one’s suitcase or drawers to put one’s clothes. Also, there was no place in the room to put toiletries other than the small area around the kitchen sink. My bathroom sink was clogged, thereby causing the water to take a long time to drain, and as a result I had to wind up doing half of my nightly hand laundry in the kitchen sink. There was no wifi internet access in the room. Even if there was, I would have been unable to use the desk chair because there was not enough space between the bed and the desk to move the chair to get in and out of it. Although there physically was a desk chair, I don't know why the hotel bothered purchasing one because the back of the chair was smack against the bed and the front was smack against the desk. It was totally useless.

Others in my group had more serious problems with their hotel room than I did, such as inability to open the window, no water coming out of their shower, the plug in their bathtub not working so they couldn’t take a bath, or the stopper on their bathroom sink didn’t come up. People in the group who requested a share with someone of the same sex previously unknown to them were in beds that were very close together that couldn’t be separated. In other words, there was no personal privacy, not even for sleeping. There were not enough closet hangers for one person, let alone for two. Unrelated people who requested to share also had to share the same safe deposit box in the room (causing one of them to wind up with her roommate’s passport, which wasn’t discovered until she arrived at the airport for her return flight and was denied boarding). Under the circumstances I would not recommend sharing a room with anyone other than a close relative or friend. And even then the rooms were too small for two people, including married couples.

Free wifi is available only in the hotel lobby, but using one’s own computer was not very comfortable because the table was much lower than the chair and one had to bend way forward in order to read and write messages. Unrelated to the computer, there were only 4 chairs in the lobby which was not enough for my group of 25. The physical look and atmosphere of the lobby was dark and gloomy, regardless of whether one sat there or not – it was readily apparent the moment I entered the hotel for the first time upon arrival. For unknown reason, the last morning of my trip I was unable to access my email in the hotel lobby because suddenly from out of the blue a firewall was imposed on my email accessibility which the desk clerk was unable to explain. I had no such problem during the previous 9 days of my stay. It was not a computer virus because my laptop was working fine once I returned home. The hotel also has a desktop computer in the lobby (and the desk staff permitted access to another one in a back room right off the lobby attached to a printer where one could print out the boarding pass for the return flight), but those computers had the French keyboard and were thus difficult, if not impossible, to negotiate.

Not only was the lobby not conducive for large tour groups such as mine, but neither was the hotel’s sole elevator, which held perhaps 6 or 7 people at most. One frequently had to wait a while for it to arrive (although there was always the option of using the steps). The elevator was directly adjacent to a mirror in the lobby that gave an optical illusion that there were two elevators, but in actuality there was only one.

Breakfast was included in our room rate. I have taken many previous trips to Paris (over 10 times) and stayed in hotels where the breakfast buffet included a selection of fine French cheeses such as Brie, Roquefort, Camembert, Chevre, etc. But not in this hotel. Our selection of cheese was limited to thin, individual slices of Edam cheese pre-wrapped in cheap plastic. Tacky, tacky, tacky! That is not what I expected from a Parisian breakfast! Edam isn’t even a French cheese! DeGaulle would be turning in his grave!

All of this would have been expected for a bargain basement hotel. But I would never have expected this lack of quality in a hotel that cost $267 a night for the 3 nights I spent on my own (I assume Road Scholar got a cheaper, group rate for the other 7 nights). Although the hotel had a great location in the heart of Montparnasse, I would take the advice of others on this forum and for the same money find a different hotel in the same neighborhood. This hotel is not worth the money.

As a final strike against the hotel, the airport shuttle van that a hotel desk clerk called for me several days prior to my return flight never arrived at the scheduled time (nor even a half hour later) and I had to wind up paying 60 Euros (approximately US $75) to take a taxi to the airport, which is not what I had intended. While this probably can’t be blamed on the hotel itself, it is certainly symbolic and representative of the less than mediocre quality of the hotel as a whole.

I will not miss this hotel and didn’t even say goodbye to the desk clerk when I left. Avoid this hotel at all costs! If you are contemplating coming here with Road Scholar, you can’t say I didn’t warn you. In my opinion this hotel is the sole reason why their educational study program Independent Paris: People, Places, Culture is currently quality-evaluated by previous participants as a 4.7 instead of the highest level of 5. Road Scholar used to use a much better hotel in the Marais District for this program and in my humble opinion they should go back to using it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Imafish2
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I just returned from a one week stay at this hotel. It was booked via a Road Scholar tour, and I was hesitant to sign up for the tour initially because of all the bad reviews here. While not perfect, I found the hotel perfectly comfortable. As others have said, so I won't repeat details, the location is excellent. My room was on the first floor (known as 2nd floor in US), and it faced a small courtyard which held the outdoor portion of a restaurant. There was some noise from the restaurant, but it was always quiet after about 10PM. The room was small, but perfectly functional. The bed and pillows were very comfy. The bathroom, also very small, met my needs. The room contained a closet with a small safe. There was a kitchen area with a fridge, microwave and a 2 burner cooker. Next to the bed was a long vanity with mirror and also held a mini-bar. There were 2 armchairs and an additional long table/desk. The AC worked well, there was plenty of hot water and great water pressure in the shower. The two negatives in the room were that the bathroom sink was clogged, but never fixed, and the lack of convenient electric plugs. I had brought the appropriate adapters to charge my various technical 'stuff', but the plugs were in very inconvenient locations.
There was free wi-fi with a good signal. Luckily, I was able to access it from my room, but most people had to go to the lobby if they needed it.
The front desk staff were OK... some more knowledgeable and helpful than others, and we quickly learned which shift to approach with questions or requests.
As this was my first trip to Paris, I can't really compare the hotel to others, but I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side from the elevator face courtyard and may be a bit quieter, and also a bit larger.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The reception staff was negligent at best, abusive more often. I watched them mocking and cursing some innocent ElderHostel guests in their lobby who were inquiring politely when the a/c and the internet would work. (The employees don't care that nothing ever works or if guests are unhappy...They called them really unspeakable things under their breath and laughed.) The lift was also out of service that week and I watched elders being told to lift their luggage on the spiral staircase 6 floors because there was no porter to carry their things. The breakfast is a ridiculous charge for canned fruit and yogurt and cold hardboiled eggs. The rooms and baths were clean enough, and the beds were fine, but why pay for and accept such conditions and a very ugly daily attitude from the staff when you are in such a beautiful city for your vacation? There are many very nice hotels in Paris which cost LESS! Avoid this one!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family