“Outstanding Christmas at Lutetia”
Review of Hotel Lutetia

Hotel Lutetia
Ranked #1,163 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and i shared our anniversary and Christmas at the hotel. The staff were outstanding the room with a view of the Eiffel Toweer was very comfortable. The brekfast busffet was terrific. in all it was a great stay made even better by a warm and welcoming staff. They were top notch in every department. A beautiful and grand hotel with a warmth and ambience of another era.

Room Tip: ASk for a junor suite with a view of the Eiffel Tower.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
JLCousty, Directeur général at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Bruce10215,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of your stay with us here on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to read that we had made your stay such an enjoyable one.

Best wishes for 2014 and kindest regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Lutetia in 2008 and it was nice! The rooms were nice enough, but I'm glad if they are refurbishing as I did smell cigarette smoke in the room. We don't speak French, so I had a hard time communicating with the concierge! I think the Hotel should have 1 or 2 English speaking personnel. Really, they could have been a little more friendly. My regret is that I asked for a Catholic Church and they gave me a name,but when I got home I realized there were other very important religious places nearby that they should have mentioned as well!! I was literally doorsteps away from a religious place I should have been told about! I really was heartbroken. My suggestion is to have ready a religious pamphlet of all nearby places to visit! Thank you. PS- I selected travel date as 2013 because they don't offer older dates.

Room Tip: not sure- check with the hotel. I don't remember. Do your research first and confirm.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Maria B,

We thank you for having taken the time to write your feelings about your recent stay with us. We were surprised to read your review as all our teams have English speaking people. However we have taken good notes of your comments and will improve day by day the quality of service.

We wish you all the best for 2014,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was obviously once a beautiful hotel. I understand it's closing for refurbishment. Because of this, they're making their staff redundant and some of them were on strike when we were there. This resulted in the bar being closed and very little concierge service. Considering the circumstances, you would have thought the management would make some gesture towards their clients in recognition of the below average facilities -but none were forthcoming. Having said that our room was OK and clean. However, I'm sure there are better hotels available in Paris for the money.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Anne P,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Tripadvisor. We would like to apologize for the unpleasant encounters you had with the work stoppage and the inconvenience caused. Please be assured that the comfort and satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation. Thank you for your understanding and for helping us to improve the quality of our service.

We wish you all the best for 2014,

Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have visited this hotel for many years. There is an excellent combination of restaurants, bar, lounges, breakfast dining room and an overall buzz that made you feel right at home. Everything you need was under one roof. Alas, that all changed on this recent visit.
As always, we booked a nice junior suite with views of the Eiffel Tower and gardens in front of the Bon Marche' department store. We were paying 25% more that we had earlier in the year for the same room but it was my birthday and I felt the extra expense was worth it. Things looked promising upon check-in as my partner and I were immediately offered an upgrade room! The reception manager swiftly guided us to our replacement room. Our faces fell as we were greeted by a dark room with no view at all except the building light-well. We politely declined this room and following a tour of two of the best and considerably more expensive rooms in the hotel, we finally ended up in the room we had originally reserved. Then things went downhill. That evening we returned to our room to be greeted by a letter saying that the room would not be serviced the following day. There was also a note saying that we had been given a collector’s edition book of the hotel. Sadly there was no evidence of the book but we did get a flower in a vase?! The next day it was my birthday and we were looking forward to meeting friends in the bar and then taking them for dinner in the lovely restaurant. Alas, this was not to be. The bar and lounges were closed for a private commercial function and the restaurant was closed due to a strike. These facilities in fact remained closed for the same reason on the following (our last) day. Next day, as warned, we had no room service. In fact we had no room service for the remainder of the stay. We finally ran out of toilet roll and had to specially request this. I think the point is here is that we later learned that due to the hotel closing for refurbishment in the future, staff strikes had been occurring over several weeks prior to our visit. Despite the likelihood, we were not advised that our stay may be disrupted so that we could have made alternative plans. To make matters worse, although the hotel has additional private function rooms, the management in their wisdom also decided to further inconvenience their guests by closing the bar and all the lounges for two days consecutively. Strangely, despite the strike, there appeared to be plenty of staff to run these functions while the hotel profited at the expense of their paying guests. As I mentioned at the beginning, I have no idea how this hotel’s pricing system works, but we paid 25% more for the same accommodation as we had 9 months earlier. The difference is that we got 75% less hotel! There was no suggestion of apology upon checkout and when we mentioned that our stay had been ruined there was no gesture of compensation. Effectively a three day stay cost us over £1200 whereas If we had wanted a bed and breakfast hotel there are plenty to choose from at less than half the price. The hotel management should be ashamed of themselves for treating regular customers in this way. But the hotel is closing so maybe they don’t care!

Room Tip: Wait for 3 years, it should improve after the refurbishment!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marcella M

Dear Marcella M,

We are extremely sorry and disappointed to read your review concerning your last visit. We would like to apologize for the unpleasant encounters you had with the work stoppage and the inconvenience caused.

Best wishes for 2014,

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My four day stay at this hotel was great, it is in a great location for shopping and seeing some of the sites. The hotel staff was wonderful, my room was nice and large. I would return for another stay at this hotel..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
JLCousty, Directeur général at Hotel Lutetia, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear rheum102,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of your stay with us on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your room and our location.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Best regards,

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed here recently for a few days - had a minor interruption to services due to a staff strike but those that know Paris know that strikes are part of daily life so we didn't mind too much. The hotel gave us vouchers to take breakfast elsewhere and could not be more apologetic which we appreciated very much. Only drawback was the room we had was a little small (for the price - we have been spoiled by Dubai stays) but was very comfortable. The bed provided for my daughter was a proper single bed which was much better than the fold out beds often offered for children. We could hear people walking around upstairs but it wasn't too bad - just something the hotel should address when they refurbish. TV small and a waste of time. Our room just overlooked a small roofed area but it didn't bother us too much as it was very quiet. Breakfast had good choice although the bacon and egg hot buffet selection wasn't too appetising - avoid and enjoy the pastries, croissants and cheeses. Liked the Nespresso type machines for choice of coffees. Loved the art deco feel and history of the place and the train like corridors. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel as it's so centrally located - we used to live around this area and recommend it for people wanting to be close to the tourist attractions. Would stay again because of the service, but would prefer a bigger room.

Room Tip: For a quiet room stay in one overlooking the inside of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Keonthemove,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay at the Hotel Lutetia. Whilst we are pleased to read that you enjoyed the service and the location, we would like to apologize for the unpleasant encounters you had with the work stoppage and the inconvenience caused.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future,

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We are staying here for three days. There is a strike. They did not warn of us. The restaurant is closed. There is no bar. The lounge is closed. We have had no room service and we have just had to request toilet paper! Not good.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank osiworld

Dear osiworld,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We are deeply sorry to hear about your disappointment concerning your stay. We have taken good note of all your assessments and remarks. We would like to apologize for the unpleasant encounters you had with the work stoppage and the inconvenience caused. Please be assured that the comfort and satisfaction of our guests are our first preoccupation.

Best regards,