“A real disappointment”

Ranked #1,503 of 1,798 Hotels in Paris
London, United Kingdom
“A real disappointment”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

As mentioned in other reviews, the location is perfect ... right next to the Louvre, cafes, etc. then it's all bad news from here. Bought this as a package with Eurostar ... who should consider their reputation and perhaps think about vetting the hotels they offer. Billed as a 4 star with the quoted room rates as €400 per night, this has to be a joke. The place is tatty from top to bottom. The mini bars are empty. The TVs are tiny. The paint is chipped ... everywhere! They tried to palm us off with a room that was just about big enough to house the double bed, looked out onto the dirty back yard of the hotel, and you had to descend 6 stairs from the hallway door to get in. I told reception this was nothing like the photos on their website and I wanted to change. They gave me a "superior" room (much bigger but just as run down) and wanted an extra €160 for 4 nights. I haggled them down to €100 and reluctantly paid as we had to get out of the rabbit hutch they had offered us. Spent 2 OK nights there, but on the 3rd night water was dripping through the bathroom ceiling air vent at 2am in the morning. We called Reception. They checked the room above us and said water was leaking but they had switched it off. When we woke the next morning, the electrics had blown and the bathroom was an inch deep in water. After my "discussion" with Reception they moved us to a Junior Suite (even bigger and just as tatty), and after a little gentle persuasion, they reimbursed my extra €100 they had extorted from me 3 days earlier. And to round it off, as I was ordering a taxi, some poor Canadian woman asked me what I thought of the hotel. She had just flown in, having prepaid through Expedia ... and the hotel had no record of her booking and now wanted her to pay again ... twice the amount she had already paid Expedia! I hope she did the right thing and found herself another hotel. Enter at your peril!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nellacol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I arrived tired in the rain after a long train ride to the most abysmal and dismal hotel I've ever stayed in. The carpets are torn all over the lobby. The staff does not smile. The rooms are full of extremely chipped and dented furniture that has probably been there for 50 years! The air is not fresh in the hotel. The wall paper is curling off of the walls in the rooms. The lighting is very dim. I guess they are afraid you might actually see how awful it is here.

There was no warning of street work by the hotel so the jigsaw road hammers started up early in the morning. The toilet paper is that kind from the 1960's, in small square sheets which are dispense out of a metal holder. I was given just six sheets. No toilet paper "rolls" at all.

The bar smelled like rank garbage when I went down to buy a bottle of cold water (6 euros!). One of the staff on duty told me that they hate the place. They hated working there. They knew it was an awful hotel.

One woman I met in the lobby in the morning did not have a working toilet all night long! The pillows on the beds are dusty and flat and have probably not been changed in years. I get asthma from dust so I developed asthma overnight and could not sleep.

This used to be a jewel, a gem. The owner(s) have obviously decided to let it ride on its reputation of 50 years ago and not put any money into keeping the hotel current. I left after the first night even though I had prepaid for 2 more nights and was told that they would never give me my money back. I blame Expedia for not knowing their product better and keeping them on their list of acceptable hotels. I will never use Expedia again. DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank lovesantafe11

Travelers are raving about these Paris hotels

Genova
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've been told by a friend of this hotel, he asked me to take a look to his room. Well, I've seen what I'm sure is one of the worst hotel all over the World! I've never seen a room so filthy and ramshackle. Scraped walls and windows, nauseating moquette, rusty shutters, disgusting bathroom with plenty of visitors' hair. Worth a visit!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FRMGenova
Redcliffe, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Don't believe the internet marketing of this hotel... It's all false... The rooms are small with peeling wall paper, stained toilet, mould in the bathroom, rotten window frames, power sockets hanging out of the wall, paint peeling on the ceiling, beds that were brought at an 'Op Shop', bar fridges that didn't work... I could go on...
This hotel is advertised as a 4 star, in my mind (I travel extensively and stay in many hotels) the Normandy would be lucky to be classed as a 1 star.. We were most unimpressed with staff, they were not helpful and took offence when challenged about the hovels they called rooms.
I would not recommend the Normandy to any one... Stay right away from it...

Room Tip: Stay right away from the NORMANDY
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Denis G
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This was a bargain through expedia, and you do get what you pay for. I cannot fault the location of this hotel, and the reception staff and concierge were delightfully helpful, as were the cheerful room staff. However it does need a good lick of paint, and re-furb, and general upgrade. It reminded me of provincial French hotels of the 1980s... but well past its prime!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank dnhbham
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The location of this hotel is outstanding. A two minute walk from the Louvre. In fact if you like walking it is a great place to stay to see anything from the Eiffel Tower to the Pantheon. Excellent customer service from all staff, thankfully they speak many languages and with our broken French phrases they helped out. Breakfast holds very sociable hours 7 - 10 during the week and 7 - 11 at weekends. Sheets and towels are changed daily. We found the hotel clean and tidy. Most acceptable, would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Little Pace D
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Normandy hotel from Paris France is the worst hotel I have ever seen.They should be ashamed of just poor standards of health hygiene and comfort.The guys from the breakfast room are very dirty and also are the plates, glasses, forks, spoons, knives, tables.The food is poor, smells bad and is not fresh.Try to avoid this hotel or your staying in Paris will be a living real nightmare!

Room Tip: avoid this hotel, protect yourself from being infected
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business