“Worst dissapointment!”
Review of Normandy Hotel

Normandy Hotel
Ranked #1,090 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I booked when looking at their website. The hotel was like 40 years after the pictures as it was really in very bad condition. Total fraud!!! Rooms where broken, holes on wall and writings in the walls. Besides good location the hotel is max 2*, really, maximum. I really advice to look fot another hotel with this price. I will never go there again!

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank Indrek H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,273)

Reviewed January 18, 2012

I was a little apprehensive when I booked this Hotel based on the reviews I had read. It was a lovely surprise to be met by warm and friendly staff. We walked to our room and was treated to a spacious, clean and period decorated room.
Could there have been a few things fixed, sure but it was a lovely stay and would stay again. Does need some general maintenance, but really loved the stay. Location for price could not be beaten. My wife and I are experienced travelers and this hotel is great value.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I had booked this hotel on impulse, thrilled at the travel republic deal I got. Then I read the reviews and started to worry. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The reception area was quite imposing and staff were polite. Yes, the corridors and paintwork were tired and dull, but our huge corner bedroom with 2 sets of French doors onto balconies was warm and cosy. The bed was clean and comfortable and linen changed each day. The location could not be better and breakfast was excellent. We paid £225 for two people for 2 nights bed and breakfast in a street beside the Louvre. We would definitely go back. When we win the lottery, we will look for something grander. On our present budget, we prefer this to a two-star in an outer suburb.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DiElRe
Reviewed January 8, 2012

For 4* hotel I expected something comfortable, stylish and fairly decent. However what I got was great location...
Room was so hot, had to keep windows open through the day and night. Shower was terrible. Burning hot and suddenly turning freezing cold. If you do have long hair, dedicate at least an hour to wash it!
No hotel information in the room (reception number, menu, etc.). Mini bar, empty.
Few 'imperfections' could be forgiven if staff were polite and friendly. Totally not the case!
And to make sure I didn't get shoe box size room, I upgraded to 'superior double'...dread to think what 'standard' would have been.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LadyGaga_12
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Stayed in Paris for a couple nights at 2 different hotels and I was surprised by the spacious rooms. The interior is a little dated but I did expect that, nice location and seemed like a good deal. However, we did arrange a transfer to the airport through the concierge, which never ended up coming. We had to take a 150 euro cab ride, nearly missed our flight and the hotel kept the deposit for the transfer. The hotel itself was nice but I agree with other reviews, the staff can be sketchy.

1  Thank trent s
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Having never been to Paris before, we really have no reference point as far as hotels go. This hotel is in a perfect location, which is what we wanted. It's about 2 blocks from the Louvre and just a bit farther is the Musee d'Orsay. It was reasonably clean but felt a bit worn out. Our sheets actually had small holes in them one day. Not a big deal to us, but might be to some. They were very clean. The front of the hotel is probably the best view but not sure. The traffic was pretty noisy but we had no trouble sleeping. Our room had a small TV and a small refrigerator.
Beware the breakfast! Nowhere did we see the price for it and when we checked in they simply pointed and said "breakfast is served at 7 in the morning". We learned upon checkout that it cost €28 each! Also, the reception staff and concierge were not extremely helpful but the bartender (older guy) was awesome when he was there. If you need anything, seek him out.

1  Thank holabonjour
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I had read the reviews and lowered my expectations but it wasn't too bad. If you are going to book this hotel get it out of your mind that this is a four star hotel otherwise you are in for a unpleasant surprise. When I first walked in it looked old and yes the paint is peeling and the bottom of the window sill is rooting away but that is the only time I noticed that. My girlfriend and I were there for 6 nights and we booked it for the space because by paris standards its big. The bathroom is nice and has a bath and shower. There is also free wi-fi in the lobby but it's not available in the rooms. I wouldn't recommend the €15 for breakfast but go out the front door and down the street to the right about 5 shops and you get to a little bakery that sells the best croissants and sandwiches. I would go back again but only for a special deal and if i was there for a few nights.

2  Thank europe21