“Travelling TGV in a group”
Review of TGV

Ranked #11 of 132 Transportation in Paris
Darlington, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Travelling TGV in a group”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Nothing wrong with the TGV trains - fast and reasonably comfortable - being on the top deck is great for the views but ......... steep spiral staircase and luggage coupled with a three minute stop with 30+ to get on or off a train means a frightening nightmare!! Lyon and Avignon stations on the Brussles/Marseilles route.
Luggage space restricted and jump seats in doorways (often occupied).
The train guards are insistent that the train will not wait so those boarding are trying to push on whilst you are trying to get off. We ended up running the length of a carriage (at the insistance of the station guard) for another door and then carrying all our luggage through the carriage to get to our place. It may be fine in ones and twos but I will never use this method again as I'd spend all my time worrying.

2 Thank JAYBEE15KR

• Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Scenic Journey through France”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We took the TGV from Nice to Paris. The cost was about 50% of what it would have cost to fly and we found it more convenient--just go to the station, tote and stow your own luggage and hop on! The trip between cities on the Riviera was at a slower speed which gave us a chance to catch glimpses of the various towns and villages along the way as well as the beautiful Mediterranean. Once we finished picking up passengers, the car was completely full and we sped to Paris, all in all the trip took about 5 1/2 hours but it was definitely a unique experience as we have nothing like it in the USA. You don't realize how fast you are going until you pass another train. The seats were comfortable but we didn't take advantage of the food; we both fell asleep! It was a pleasant and enjoyable trip and we're so glad we experienced the TGV!

Visited September 2012
Adelaide, Australia
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 204 helpful votes
“The only way to travel”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Travelling London/Paris? Forget airports and planes, in 2hr 15m you can travel centre to centre of these two great cities. It took me 90 minutes from CDG airport to Gare du Nord by taxi just this week, so for stress free travel, it's TGV for me!

Brisbane, Australia
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Fast and easy”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My 85 year old Mother and I caught the TGV from Lyon to Paris (Gare de Lyon). It was a bit tricky to find the actual station from where our taxi dropped us off but once we were there it was easy. There is a waiting room and the toilets are downstairs. As usual, you have to pay to use the toilets. I had thought I would have to exchange our Australian-issued paper tickets (a bit like those old airline tickets with the multiple carbon copies) for electronic tickets at the station, but not so. You have to "composter" each ticket before getting on the train, this means to validate it and there are little machines, yellow as I recall, where you put the ticket in. The machine stamps it and then you remove the ticket and keep it to show the ticket-checker person on the train. Do check that the machine has typed something on the ticket and if it hasn't, have another go. The TGV itself is double-decker train and you leave your suitcases on the lower level unless you want to hump them up the stairs to the upper level. Our tickets had allocated seats which were on the top level so we had great views, when it wasn't raining. There seemed to be plenty toilets on board and you can buy food. The seats were comfortable with more leg room than some airlines have. We would definitely travel by TGV again.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Marjorie J
Bristol, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fast but No Frills”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Using French booking facilities, I grabbed a special offer of first-class at second-class price from Paris Gare de Lyon to Besancon.
I dreamed of free food and drink, brought round on baroque trolleys by waitresses in black and white uniform after boarding from a luxury lounge.

Well...
At Gare de Lyon we left the station briefly in search of a pre-travel cafe, but it looked like the exercise yard at Alcatraz and there were guys swigging from beer cans hanging around. Best idea at Gare De Lyon is the "Logan's Run" technique of staying on the premises and using the facilities provided.

Once aboard our seats were reasonably comfortable and wide enough, though facing backwards in the "Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle" style for a high-speed ride.

I cannot fault the smooth and super-fast ride. Very efficient indeed.

After a while the guard unlocked the toilets and in I went. I almost regretted leaving my crash helmet at home because the mirror was swinging loose from some unit behind it and it just missed my head. Anyhow, I survived and went back to await refreshments.

Well.... at least the buffet car was nearby. No trolley service to our seats.

But it got us to our destination quickly and smoothly and that's the main thing. I wish we had them over here because anything's better than flying.