“A beautiful Parisian "bridge of love"”

Ranked #334 of 1,108 things to do in Paris
Henderson, Nevada
174 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 466 helpful votes
“A beautiful Parisian "bridge of love"”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We discovered this scenic walkway spanning the Seine river quite by accident. We were leaving the Musée d'Orsay and just wanted to cross over, walk along the Seine and head to the Champs Élysées. On the south bank it is marked by a statue of Thomas Jefferson. It is so scenic and beautiful we couldn't help but stop and enjoy the views of both banks and the bridges further down. Then we started seeing all these padlocks that I had vaguely remembered reading about. My wife and I can be pretty sappy and our kids even more so--they really wanted us to proclaim our love with a padlock. Who carries around a padlock? Well never fear, there was an enterprising tourist trapper on the bridge ready to sell padlocks and had sharpies so you could write your name! Perfect. So we cemented our eternal love on the Passerelle Leopold and threw the key away in the river Seine. My wife loved it. Guys, I'm telling you, you're lady will LOVE doing it. our kids graffiti'd the location of our padlock with sharpies on the wood railing and say they can't wait to go find it years from now. It was a fun thing to do.

When we got home I did a little research on the walkway (it's a "passerelle" and not a "pont" because there is only pedestrian traffic). It used to be called Passerelle Solferino but was renamed in 2006. It's lesser known than the Pont des Arts another "bridge of love" with padlocks further east. In 2010 the city removed all the padlocks but people protested and within a few weeks all the padlocks were back. Glad we missed that! Great gem of a spot in Paris. A must if it's your honeymoon!

Visited June 2012