WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Shangri-La Hotel Paris

Shangri-La Hotel Paris
Ranked #29 of 1,816 Hotels in Paris
New York
“Great experience. Amazing stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a most welcome addition to the scene of excellent luxury hotels in Paris. Paris has more true luxury hotels than just about any other city in the Western Hemisphere and yet, Shangri-La is an absolute stand out.
The winning combination: notably great and caring personal service and a property located in a gorgeous mansion. Perhaps because it seems somewhat smaller than the famous classic Palace Hotels, it is just as beautiful and luxurious but with a bit more warmth.
I felt truly spoiled by the staff even before I arrived: they worked very hard to find me a lovely junior suite over a nearly sold-out period.
The Eiffel Tower View, an obsession for many visitors to Paris, was a fun experience. Especially for my 13 year old son. I'm sure Parisians would treasure other views more. After countless visits to Paris I never sought this Eiffel View. I love to see views of the great Boulevards and "Places" and the garden at Le Bristol and I had never felt deprived.
Back to the hotel Shangri- La! It's in an exquisite neighborhood that is ever so slightly removed from some of the famous tourist spots. But for a traveller that knows Paris, this is not even remotely an issue. And if you are a first time visitor the amazing Concierge and entire team will help you with the greatest patience. And it is quite close to some very important sights that really are a trek for visitors staying in locations on the other side of town.

But no matter where your day's excursion takes you, it's a delicious treat to return to this jewel of a hotel and a smiling staff that are true, well-trained professionals.

The entire staff has brilliant manners. No haughtiness within this luxury property. The decor is traditional but , again, fresh and alive. It is elegant beyond reproach. A place to linger...no matter how long your stay in Paris, please think about extending for a day so you can enjoy the different public spaces and gorgeous restaurants. My room was charming and elegant. What a feat! Not heavy satin and brocade but neither a more casual, classic choice of Toile de Jouy. Subtle silks, classic antiques just dotting the room and comfortable seating that invites relaxation are so juxtaposed with great taste in the rooms.

What a winning combination. When I think about my long time favorite hotel in Paris I know it's just about one of the greatest hotels. But in my heart, I am just excited by this new and welcome addition to Paris.
I love the color schemes and decor: really so luxurious but not stuffy. It's quite something. And I'm sure the staff will look after me when I return.

Room Tip: Consider your price point and consult with the staff
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Fantasieimpromptu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visiting Paris for a conference , we were lucky enough to be booked into a suite in this superb hotel. The building is impressive, as the restored 19th century residence of Roland Bonaparte, (Napoleon’s grandnephew would be. The décor is very French reflecting its heritage with some oriental touches to remind you of its present ownership.

After a cheery welcome from the staff at the entrance and a quick and efficient check in, we were led up to our lavishly appointed suite on the fourth floor where we were offered jasmine tea while waiting for our luggage. The suite was indeed luxurious, opulently furnished, with a walk in wardrobe, writing table, chest of drawers - all of spoke of elegance. The suite also had a complimentary fruit basket besides a coffee/tea making facility.
The touch of class was evident in the bathrooms as well, two separate toilets, two separate showers well-appointed with Bvlgari toiletries. The small TV screen embedded in the large mirror ensured that you could shave or soak in the bath tub without missing a moment on the news you were watching in the bedroom!

Later, looking around the hotel,l we saw the grand staircase that leads to the first floor, where the grand salon, impressive with its chandeliers, gilt and mirrors, was the perfect setting for our conference lunches. The interiors are truly magnificent.

The staff was unfailingly friendly, efficient and attentive without ever getting obtrusive never short of a smile or a cheery greeting. From the receptionists to young lady who remembered that we needed “very hot” milk for our coffee at breakfast to the young man who ensured that our luggage was placed exactly where we wanted each piece to be and the guy who brought my pressed jacket precisely when I wanted it, everyone went the extra mile. Tony, the Concierge was brilliant; there is not much that he doesn't know about Paris and he is ever willing to guide you. His enthusiasm obviously rubs off on his team - when I asked for a local sim card, it was obtained and activated in ten minutes; I didn't even have to re set the phone clock to local time !

The only negative, for me, was that most of my time was spent in the salon where the conference and I could not enjoy the hotel and surroundings as much as I would have liked!

And somehow we didn't see the Eiffel tower from our room as so many reviewers did -- may be we didn't look hard enough ?

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank yesuthasen
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We booked the Eiffel tower view villa for my birthday. The service was exceptional ... the staff in a very nice manner picked up on our likes and dislikes and made our visit exceptional! The front desk staff in particular went the extra mile ... picked up on our tastes and offered the best not just once ... but every time we needed help.

Hats off to the manager and staff. Best destination ever. The prices are substantially in par with international standards and the service is far better than international standards.

Room Tip: Eiffel tower view villa. hugeeee balcony around the room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Prak121
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'm a big fan of the the Shangri La hotels and the one in Paris did not let me down. I've stayed twice already in 2012 and this will be my hotel going forward. Check in is flawless (love the tea in the room after a long day of travel). Concierge and staff very helpful and thoughtful. Rooms are beautiful and area is quiet, which I like. Shang was closed when I was there last but look forward to trying it next time I'm there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JSPrima
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I recently spent a long weekend in Paris and chose the Shangri La as a base, due to my great experiences of the brand in Asia. After a trying few weeks, I was in great need of a quiet sanctuary and a well-located base for gallery visits and shopping trips. I was not disappointed...from the moment I arrived, the service was outstanding and the staff welcoming and caring. I very much enjoyed the ambiance in La Bauhinia restaurant for dinner (maybe because it re-created my Asian experiences) and also had an excellent light meal in the bar one afternoon. The fitness centre was smaller than I expected, but I had it to myself most days and I am looking forward to enjoying the new swimming pool during my next visit in the spring. Although the hotel is in a quiet area away from the main tourist spots, I found it very easy to get around by public transport and taxi. My grateful thanks to the manager and team for all there efforts to make the hotel a great experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Asiatravelhopper
Lagos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Having heard of the hotel on several occasions, we decided to stay there overnight between 2 trips overseas. Having said that, if you're used to the prices and standards of places like Ritz (Sadly closed until 2014 for refurbishment), George V, Plaza and others of the same caliber, it's definitively a place worth a stay. Nothing to say, from service to food, breakfast to concierge, lounge, bar............everything is possible at any time as it is the case in such type of place. Great advantage is the "cosyness" of the place, small compare to others and very well placed on the map. Every step is made to give the client the impression of being home..........or a bit better than home. A definitive must in the new palace portfolio of our beloved city.

Room Tip: We had an inside room, not the best for the view..........but lovely quiet for those willing to rest...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank loloDLagos
Montigny-le-Bretonneux, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had the opportunity to stay at Shangri-La Paris with an Amex Centurion offer. We live close to Paris but from time to time we like to spend a week-end in the city. We previously tried Park Hyatt Vendôme (love the atmosphere) & Four Seasons George V (incredible service). I was expecting a nice stay but it turned out to be much more than that. To me Shangri-La Paris is currently the best choice in Paris!

We arrived with a taxi. Check-in was fast & efficient. We were immediately led to a lounge, served drinks of our choice, and within less than 5 minutes everything was done.

The we were lead to our room. We had booked a Premier room and were upgraded to a Premier duplex suite (woaw factor!). Upper floor => entrance / bedroom / large dressing room / bathroom with heated floor. Ground floor => large living area with small balcony & powder room.

It was my partner bithday, a bottle of Deutz Champagne was waiting for us together with a big cake. Only bad point is that we had a welcome note addressed to 'Mr. & Mrs' although we are a gay couple. I cannot understand such things still happen in 2012.

At check-in we asked to make a reservation at Shang Palace. Unfortunately the restaurant was already fully booked. But they offered to serve Shang Palace menu in the suite. It was really great! In fact I think it was even better to enjoy a fabulous meal in the privacy of our room instead of going to the restaurant.

The suite includes everything you can expect, hard product is excellent: two mini bars (one upstairs and one downstairs), Nespresso & boiler, free Wifi access (very fast), Evian free of charge, bathroom amenities from Bvlgari (thé blanc), electric curtains, Bose iPod/iPhone deck, etc.

We visited the fitness twice. Personal coach (Kévin) was very kind & helpful. He spent a lot of time to explain how everything was working (they have a 'Technogym Kinesis Personal Vision' that we did not know how to use). Fitness is not huge but the equipment is really great. Swimming-pool shall open before Christmas. We still had a chance to see it and it will be a real gem. With natural day light and beautiful decor it will be a great asset.

Location is very good, with a metro station (Iena, line 9) just in front of the hotel.

Overall we had a terrific stay!
Do not hesitate!