“Once a Palace”

Ranked #45 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Miami, Florida
“Once a Palace”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have very mixed feelings in being objective and fair, while writing this review. YES the staff, their hospitality, the view and the elegance one encounters at the Shangri-La is deserving of a 5 star hotel. It was our first time in Paris and we found everyone to be amazingly helpful, and genuinely nice. Unfortunately, when the cost of the hotel rooms are equal to other top notch Parisian hotels we expected no difficulties or problems with our stay. In other hotels of this caliber, if there is a technology or engineering problem it is corrected and it doesn't happen a second time. This was not the case at the Shangri-La, we had a problem with the air conditioning in our rooms. My husband and I had one room and my two daughters were in a room by themselves. We were supposed to have connecting rooms but that didn't happen. They were thrilled of course, so I didn't complain any further. My husband and I were put in a seperate wing or area of the hotel. We also had another family who traveled with us and stayed in one of their suites. During our 7 night stay, 4 of those nights the air would shut off at about 3:00am and turn back on at 7:00 or so. The other family had this problem 6 of their 8 days. I even believe the heater would kick in at times. My daughters really only complained 2 of the nights, probably because they knew how upset we all had become. When I walked into their room the last morning I found that they were sleeping in what would be equivelent to 78 degress farenheit. We all had Eiffel tower views and a balcony, but there is definetely an area of the hotel that is more updated and newer than the other. I can say this because of the elevator and a few other things like carpeting etc... I don't know how long the Shangri-La has been opened but one of the restaurants was closed (possibly for the summer) and there is still no Spa. The Shangri-La defenitely has the potential to become one of the best hotels in Paris but there are still some major glitches they need to work on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
21 Thank peredakk
ShangriLaParis, Directeur général at Shangri-La Hotel Paris, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Peredakk,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at Shangri-La Hotel Paris. We truly regret your disappointment and be assured that your comments have been duly reviewed and discussed. Although a letter of apology was sent to you after your departure, please trust that we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Be kindly informed that our Engineering department has taken proper action to review and adjust the problem caused.

Despite the encountered issues, we sincerely look forward to welcoming you once more and give us the opportunity of providing you with the quality hospitality for which we are known.

Kind regards,

A.Borgers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Everything you would expect from 5 star hotel. Rooms are beautifully decorated and evrything you could possibly need for business or pleasure is provided in your room. We stayed in a suite on the 6th floor. If you want a room with Eiffel Tower views these are dearer and need to be stated with your booking. The beds are so comfortable we didn't want to get out to sightsee... The location is perfect for sightseers as just a short stroll to the Eiffel Tower and access to the Batobus, Cruise Boats and metro system. Service was excellent we didn't need to ask anything from door men who are polite and friendly, to the bar staff who are attentive but never intrusive - they just appears as your glass is needing a refill. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. Recommended

Room Tip: Pay that little extra for a balcony overlooking the Eiffel Tower. Well worth it
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stoke_on_TrentHelen
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The service was fabulous. Conceirge service was excellent. Very experienced staff

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A beautiful hotel in a great location with great views of the Eiffel Tower. Service was impeccable - as best as we've experienced. Concierge was top-notch and very patient, thoughtful. But also very expensive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed July 16, 2012

At the sight of the magnificent facade of the hotel and hospitality genuinely warm one receives on entering the lobby, one can legitimately expect a high-level experience when deciding to go enjoy an afternoon tea at the Shangri-La. Unfortunately, the reality is different.

First of all I said to the first person who asks me, I'm alone and I do not have a reservation for a few seconds later, a second person ask myself the same question that I bring naturally the same answer.

They finally told me to install and the server that comes my way with the menu asks me again if I wait for the company ...

After taking my order, they bring me a napkin and silverware which I noticed immediately that they are stained with water spots (unacceptable for a hotel of this standard which we expect that the silverware are impeccable ).

Minutes later, the tea arrives (a teapot and a cup) but no sugar or milk when I had specifically requested this to last.
Then, ten minutes passed before the chocolate tart (in exceptional deumeurant) I also ordered finally arrived.

At the time of the addition, I have to wait a good fifteen minutes before one of the servers noticed that I had slipped in a very visible my credit card in the booklet provided for this purpose.
And, to top it off, the person who undertakes to go get my coat just hands me my coat without help me put it on.

In short, despite a superb decoration, a high quality cuisine and the renowned group known for its excellence, service of Shangri-La, as I have experienced it, is by no up to the standards of its category. The George V still has a bright future ahead of him ...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
18 Thank Laurent_JP
ShangriLaParis, Directeur général at Shangri-La Hotel Paris, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Laurent_JP,

We thank you for your feedback regarding the services at Shangri-La Hotel, Paris. Your points are valid and have been discussed and reviewed with the concerned managers. These defects are not up to Shangri-La standards and we can assure you that we are doing the utmost to immediately correct the encountered issues.
We truly hope to provide you with the hospitality we are known for upon your next visit and show you that what happened were simply isolated incidents.

Kindest regards,

A. Borgers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I spent a long time choosing this hotel; viewbarons wife was turning 30 and a trip to Paris was in order. Viewbaron opted for the Eiffel tower view room with a few added extras ( champagne in room on arrival, specially made cake, flowers and upgrade if possible). This review will be fair, but also considered from the viewpoint of what one may expect when paying £1000 a night.

Ok the foyer is gorgeous, perhaps a little too many staff standing round, but all very polite and all say hello when you walk past.....OK, good so far. Receptionist was very polite, spoke perfect English and checked us in to our room...

Room - Great size for Paris, large double bathroom. Decor traditional and sumptuous. This brings me to the first issue - we had a huge terrace. The very reason we had booked this place was that it had views of the Eiffel tower. Viewbaron had upgraded to make sure of this. What the website does not tell you is that the view is heavily obstructed by one of the ugliest buildings known to man - a basic brown dirty side of another building is your turgid Eiffel tower base for your stay, so you only see the top third of the tower....hmmmmmm thought I. I did point this out but the member of staff deflected swiftly. Second issue, our luggage never arrived to our room. Viewbaron called down and was told it was sent to another by accident. I know, I know dear readers, your thinking..." not the biggest problem in the world" and perhaps this is so, but again, lets re-base to the fact this is costing viewbaron 1000 of your earth pounds a night.

Din dins....
Included in our room was 150 euros credit in the restaurant. The prices were pretty obscene ( even compared to, say, Petrus or Ledbury here ) - some dishes were 150 euros each ( not kidding )...but hey, its a special occasion, lets do it. I ordered a chicken curry ( first bite hit gristle ) - really? thought I , really, chef using dodgy cuts?. Viewbarons vegetarian wife ordered pasta - average, but average at an insane price.

The bill for these two dishes, a beer and a wine came to about 120 euros. Rather annoyingly, we were not allowed to use the rest of the 30 euros the next evening as we were told it had to be used all on the same occasion. Viewbaron was pretty ratty by this point and had to give the manager a good bol**cking untill he changed his mind.

Breakfast
This was included in our rate - but it would have been 50 euro a head......let me just say that again, 50 euro a head, so it must be good right?....wrong. For that you get two small eggs, two small slices of bacon and a small cup of yogurt and some juice. Just another little sting in the tail.

Location
Perfect - 5 mins from the tower, on the opposite side of the river.

Viewbarons final thought
My biggest grumble is when Hotels or restaurants assume that people with money are idiots; they dont care what the price is, or have the whole " if you need to ask, you cant afford it"....nonsense. Once you are in this hotel, you are pretty much ripped off from start to finish.

Its beautiful....the location is awesome; however, the price does not reflect the quality, and thats the arrogant view of this hotel, and also my pet hate.

If the management disagree with any of the comments I have made, please contact me through my email and I will be happy to give you the details of my stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
55 Thank viewbaron
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The decor is rich in colour and textiles with an oriental flavour. The staff are very helpful and intelligent in the way they deal with guests. The hotel is very close to the Iena Metro which is an asset because the traffic was shocking this week. The area is not good for shopping. The services are mainly beauty salons and restaurants, small delicatessens and florists..
We loved the breakfast. Very good fruit salad and small muesli, pastry basket, orange juice and coffee-£40 a head.We didn't experience the spa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple