“Excellent Service, Great Staff and very caring”

Shangri-La Hotel Paris
Ranked #49 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
“Excellent Service, Great Staff and very caring”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The service was fabulous. Conceirge service was excellent. Very experienced staff

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A beautiful hotel in a great location with great views of the Eiffel Tower. Service was impeccable - as best as we've experienced. Concierge was top-notch and very patient, thoughtful. But also very expensive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed July 16, 2012

At the sight of the magnificent facade of the hotel and hospitality genuinely warm one receives on entering the lobby, one can legitimately expect a high-level experience when deciding to go enjoy an afternoon tea at the Shangri-La. Unfortunately, the reality is different.

First of all I said to the first person who asks me, I'm alone and I do not have a reservation for a few seconds later, a second person ask myself the same question that I bring naturally the same answer.

They finally told me to install and the server that comes my way with the menu asks me again if I wait for the company ...

After taking my order, they bring me a napkin and silverware which I noticed immediately that they are stained with water spots (unacceptable for a hotel of this standard which we expect that the silverware are impeccable ).

Minutes later, the tea arrives (a teapot and a cup) but no sugar or milk when I had specifically requested this to last.
Then, ten minutes passed before the chocolate tart (in exceptional deumeurant) I also ordered finally arrived.

At the time of the addition, I have to wait a good fifteen minutes before one of the servers noticed that I had slipped in a very visible my credit card in the booklet provided for this purpose.
And, to top it off, the person who undertakes to go get my coat just hands me my coat without help me put it on.

In short, despite a superb decoration, a high quality cuisine and the renowned group known for its excellence, service of Shangri-La, as I have experienced it, is by no up to the standards of its category. The George V still has a bright future ahead of him ...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
18 Thank Laurent_JP
ShangriLaParis, Directeur général at Shangri-La Hotel Paris, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Laurent_JP,

We thank you for your feedback regarding the services at Shangri-La Hotel, Paris. Your points are valid and have been discussed and reviewed with the concerned managers. These defects are not up to Shangri-La standards and we can assure you that we are doing the utmost to immediately correct the encountered issues.
We truly hope to provide you with the hospitality we are known for upon your next visit and show you that what happened were simply isolated incidents.

Kindest regards,

A. Borgers
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I spent a long time choosing this hotel; viewbarons wife was turning 30 and a trip to Paris was in order. Viewbaron opted for the Eiffel tower view room with a few added extras ( champagne in room on arrival, specially made cake, flowers and upgrade if possible). This review will be fair, but also considered from the viewpoint of what one may expect when paying £1000 a night.

Ok the foyer is gorgeous, perhaps a little too many staff standing round, but all very polite and all say hello when you walk past.....OK, good so far. Receptionist was very polite, spoke perfect English and checked us in to our room...

Room - Great size for Paris, large double bathroom. Decor traditional and sumptuous. This brings me to the first issue - we had a huge terrace. The very reason we had booked this place was that it had views of the Eiffel tower. Viewbaron had upgraded to make sure of this. What the website does not tell you is that the view is heavily obstructed by one of the ugliest buildings known to man - a basic brown dirty side of another building is your turgid Eiffel tower base for your stay, so you only see the top third of the tower....hmmmmmm thought I. I did point this out but the member of staff deflected swiftly. Second issue, our luggage never arrived to our room. Viewbaron called down and was told it was sent to another by accident. I know, I know dear readers, your thinking..." not the biggest problem in the world" and perhaps this is so, but again, lets re-base to the fact this is costing viewbaron 1000 of your earth pounds a night.

Din dins....
Included in our room was 150 euros credit in the restaurant. The prices were pretty obscene ( even compared to, say, Petrus or Ledbury here ) - some dishes were 150 euros each ( not kidding )...but hey, its a special occasion, lets do it. I ordered a chicken curry ( first bite hit gristle ) - really? thought I , really, chef using dodgy cuts?. Viewbarons vegetarian wife ordered pasta - average, but average at an insane price.

The bill for these two dishes, a beer and a wine came to about 120 euros. Rather annoyingly, we were not allowed to use the rest of the 30 euros the next evening as we were told it had to be used all on the same occasion. Viewbaron was pretty ratty by this point and had to give the manager a good bol**cking untill he changed his mind.

Breakfast
This was included in our rate - but it would have been 50 euro a head......let me just say that again, 50 euro a head, so it must be good right?....wrong. For that you get two small eggs, two small slices of bacon and a small cup of yogurt and some juice. Just another little sting in the tail.

Location
Perfect - 5 mins from the tower, on the opposite side of the river.

Viewbarons final thought
My biggest grumble is when Hotels or restaurants assume that people with money are idiots; they dont care what the price is, or have the whole " if you need to ask, you cant afford it"....nonsense. Once you are in this hotel, you are pretty much ripped off from start to finish.

Its beautiful....the location is awesome; however, the price does not reflect the quality, and thats the arrogant view of this hotel, and also my pet hate.

If the management disagree with any of the comments I have made, please contact me through my email and I will be happy to give you the details of my stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
55 Thank viewbaron
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The decor is rich in colour and textiles with an oriental flavour. The staff are very helpful and intelligent in the way they deal with guests. The hotel is very close to the Iena Metro which is an asset because the traffic was shocking this week. The area is not good for shopping. The services are mainly beauty salons and restaurants, small delicatessens and florists..
We loved the breakfast. Very good fruit salad and small muesli, pastry basket, orange juice and coffee-£40 a head.We didn't experience the spa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Our experience was faultless...from the personalized service to the lavish details. The staff at Shangri-La did everything to make the stay perfect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I had my wedding reception here in May and it was perfect in every detail. I cannot thank the hotel enough for making my day so perfect. A special thanks to Caroline Bonnel, the events manager, who made sure that everything went to plan. When considering choices for a venue, we looked at Le Crillon, George V, Le Meurice, Hotel Bristol - Shangri-La blew them all away with its elegance and panache. It is the magic of mixing the Orient with European, the history of Napoleon Bonaparte's family oozing through the corridors. It is the architectural detail and beautiful restoration of an old palais that make the hotel so remarkable. The icing on the cake is the proximity to the Eiffel Tower. It is expensive, but for the price you will experience one of Paris's best kept secrets. Another thank you to the excellent double Michelin starred chef, Phillipe Labbe, whose food is truly exquisite. What a venue, what a wedding! Congratulations to all the fantastic staff at this hotel, which will be the number one hotel in Paris in a few years, I have no doubt.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple