Hotel de la Place des Vosges
$279
$265
Cancelon
  • Fitness center
All reviewsrooms are smallvictor hugo's housegreat locationnarrow staircasemarais districtcharming hotelcomfortable staycroissantsquiet streetcomfy bedvisit parisa wonderful stayaround the cornerheart of parisbastillethereseluggage
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This accommodation is located in the heart of the trendy, cultural Marais, with immediate access to restaurants, public transport and supermarkets. It was very clean and comfortable, with a good bed and excellent lighting. The bathroom was spacious, including a bath. The room was warm. Minor issues would be the narrow spiral staircase, with a luggage lift from the first floor, and the absence of a chair and desk in the room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheJeppos
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Great value and location, tucked off the main street so quiet for sleeping, comfortable bed but only a double. Lobby and main areas retain the rustic charm but room had been nicely updated modern bath, lighting and beds. Close to lots of small shops and restaurants friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tdgopack
Reviewed May 5, 2012

One of my main criteria in reviewing an establishment is the answer to the question: "Would we come back?" In other words having spent what ever we did the first time around would we consider it a good value and compelling enough to come back for more? In the case of this hotel I would say "maybe." The location is fantastic. Off the main street and just adjacent to the beautiful Place des Vosges not far from the nearest Metro stop at the Bastille; its quiet, quaint and quite reasonably priced.

We had been in Paris some years earlier and had stayed at a hotel near Place de La Republique we will not return to (don't recall the name or else I'd review it) and in our sightseeing in the area stumbled upon this hotel. I took a photo of the outside and made a mental note that when we returned to look up this hotel. So I did and made the booking. David and Ana were very prompt and welcoming in the booking process.

The old charm of the building (c. 1605 per the website) has been maintained while the rooms and facilities are modern and well kept. The building has six floors and the tiny elevator (very common in Paris) starts on the second and ends on the fourth. It's large enough for one person and a small suitcase or two people who don't mind being cozy with each other. So if you are unable to climb stairs to the second floor I suggest choosing another property.

We booked the room on the top floor and I must say we were very pleasantly surprised. A very large room with a large bath it was a challenge getting up there. The aforementioned elevator leaves you on the 4th floor, the stairs to the next floor are like the others but the stairs to the 6th floor are tiny and very narrow. See the photo. But once you open the door to the top floor 'suite' all is forgotten. Very charming, the room occupies the entire top floor. Everything worked, plenty of hot water and and boasts views from the window on one side of the building and the small balcony on the other side.

Some folks will probably find breakfast not worth the cost so if you can rent your room without it you may wish to consider it. Don't remember exactly what was served but it was pretty basic. Next time I would forgo it and go somewhere nearby. There are plenty of culinary choices in the immediate area.

The staff were not unpleasant but not particularly effusive either, just a Parisian thing I guess.

A pleasant, cozy and romantic venue with decent but not fantastic value for the price but nothing about it is really compelling to make us want to return. I would look into it on our next visit but would also look elsewhere.

Room Tip: We rented the top floor room - a gem with limited but charming views of the city
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FrankofAmerica
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed here for a couple days in April and absolutely loved it. The location of the hotel could not be better - the hotel is directly adjacent to La Place des Vosges. The interiors of the rooms are new, yet the building itself still maintains the charm of a historic property. The bathroom in our room was absolutely gorgeous and there was a flat screen tv mounted on the wall. There is free wifi in the hotel that was strong enough to watch streaming movies in the room which is perfect if you can't understand French television!

The room size is exactly what I would expect from a hotel in Paris, especially in a cool boutique setting like this. I have stayed in a number of well-known high end hotels throughout Europe (and Paris in particular) but will absolutely be coming back here to stay again. This is a genuinely great place to stay the Marais!

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank JayKay2006
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to stay here for two nights and were amazed at this charming little hotel in the most incredible location. The rooms were re-done in a modern way but still keeping the gorgeous beams which gives it so much charm. The beds were comfy and the view was stunning. Our bathroom was clearly all new and was truly one of the most stylish I have encountered in any Paris hotel in which I've stayed. Yes the rooms are not huge but they are a good size for the location if you know anything about Paris. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2012