“Very romantic, no breakfast”

Hotel du Jeu de Paume
Ranked #152 of 1,797 Hotels in Paris
Prague, Czech Republic
“Very romantic, no breakfast”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Hotel is placed in the center of Paris, nice walking distance to Notre Dame and Louvre. No traffic, very quiet. Rooms with wooden ceilings - combination of history and modern. Just beautiful.

The cons are no breakfast - and when you pay EUR 300 for the room, you woud expect it.. Fortunately there is several cafes around.

Second - very soft beds, So if you are grown man (I am 100 kilos) having very soft matrace means your bottom sink and you sleep kind of uphill:-( I did not sleep well, my wife (60kilos) had no problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RomanAlbrecht

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights in Paris in the Hotel Jeu de Paume. The Ile St Louis is a great location if you don't want to be right in the hustle and bustle of a big city, and has the feel of a small village. The hotel entrance is on the main street of the island but set slightly back off the road so is very quiet at night. We were in Room 206 on the second floor.Although it did not have much of a view (looked down into an inner courtyard) it was bright and modern and cleverly arranged to maximise space. The bathroom was small but adequate, with the toilet in a separate closet - which was a little small and claustrophobic. One downside is that I think the walls must be quite thin as on our first evening a man in the next room kept getting phone calls for about an hour after 11pm and we could hear nearly everything he said. But apart from that we slept well.The public areas were very nicely decorated. The staff were all very welcoming and helpful. We did not have breakfast here but went along to the cafe St Regis at the end of the street for breakfast as all we wanted was coffee and a croissant and as previous reviewers have said it is much eheaper to do this. The location is perfectly situatied for access to other tourist locations either on foot or by metro. If you are coming from Charles de Gaulle airport then the easiest way is to get the RER from the airport (tickets in machines at the station) and get off at St Michel/Notre Dame and then exit by the Hotel De Dieu exit which takes you out right in front of Notre Dame. Then it is a 5 - 10 minute walk along past the Hotel De Dieu street along to the bridge across to the Ile St Louis and along the main street to the hotel. There are many restuarants on the island for those who do not to wander far in the evening. We tried Les Fous de L'Ile - a typical french bistrot with tasty food; Le Caveau de L'Ile - nice serviced and good food; L'Orangerie - nothing special and the service was not particularly friendly. We also tried the famous Berthillon ice cream on several occasions - very good.
So if you want a nice hotel in a quiet location in Paris you might like the Jeu de Paume.

Washington, DC
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I toured Paris largely on foot, and the central location of Hotel du Jeu de Paume was fabulous. The St. Michel RER station was right across the bridge, and we could get anywhere on Rive Gauche quickly from there. The restaurants and shops on the street were wonderful, and the neighborhood had such a cozy, charming feel. The bed was very nice (not a bed bug in sight in room 205!) and the room was wonderfully clean. I didn't find the room to be particularly small by boutique hotel standards at all, although I was a bit disconcerted for the WC to be so separated from the sink/shower (maybe 8 steps away). The staff were helpful and, happily for me, all spoke English. Our room was not cheap, but I believe we got what we paid for.

1 Thank Kim10K
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Ille St Louis is one of my favourite areas in Paris, close to Notre Dame and good restaurants I always wanted to actually stay here..and last year I did! This is a boutique hotel with small interesting rooms..the bonus that its set back from the not too busy road in a courtyard means you have the benefit of a good nights sleep..the staff were friendly and attentive. Easy walks to many of the popular attractions..and close to nice picnic spots by the river. The breakfast is far too expensive..cafes close by have a better selection...same for drinks, they dont seem keen to encourage guests to use their facilities and well Paris is at your fingertips so why bother? The only thing that I found odd was the no food in the room policy which I think is very outdated ..no tea/coffee facility. Many travellers are on different time zones..I always fall into the the jetlag catergory and I like to have basic things such as yoghurt/fruit/breads for when I wake at odd hours and the world is sleeping..with no room service for coffee in the early hours of the morning and no chance to make it yourself...is a tad annoying..all in all enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Trya and get one with a balcony or view.. Ihad an internal one over the courtyard and it was good bu...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Nadine K
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel is a quiet and attractive sanctuary off the main street of the Ile St Louis, which is usually very busy with tourists but is a great spot to use as a base. It's a beautifully done boutique hotel with imaginative use of the ancient space (both the pubic space and the rooms). In my single room--surprisingly spacious (for Paris)--the bed was a little less firm than I'd hoped, and the shower arrangement wasn't working quite properly, but it was generally very comfortable. A coffee/tea maker would have made me happy, especially since breakfast was 18euro extra and was in any case just bread, pastries and coffee (this was annoying given the high room prices). Better to go almost anywhere else for a better and cheaper breakfast. The service was uniformly superb, but especially at the front desk. The hotel's WiFi system is totally unpredictable; and the building also seems to be a relative dead-spot for phone and data service, even though it was all fine right outside the front door. If you absolutely need reliable telecoms in the hotel itself, this isn't your place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the east side over the inside patio.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul S
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Arrived with great expectations. Strong reviews including Rick Steves's recommendation. But left disappointed: Our room was infested with bed bugs.
Pros: Great location, helpful bilingual staff, adequate European sized rooms, air-conditioned.
Cons: Bed bugs. We stayed in room 203 four nights. After the first night my wife noticed what looked like bite marks on her legs and a blood stain on the mattress sheet. We thought about the possibility of bed bugs but had never experienced this problem before and looked around the mattress without further evidence. In the morning before checking out of the hotel my wife noticed a blood stain on the mattress sheet where I had slept and then saw a bug crawling over the pillow. She brought the bug, still alive, to the front desk and informed the staff. We positively identified the bed bug. They emailed an apology and confirmed they also found further evidence with their inspection and would close the room for 48 hours to treat the infestation. We were disappointed they were more concerned about future business than our experience.
The hotel has only two irons for use and they were unable to locate one for us until several hours after our request.
A hotel with this reputation and expense should not have guests endure bed bugs and be the one to tell them about their problem.

6 Thank pas55229
, Directeur général at Hotel du Jeu de Paume, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
This is a copy of the mail I sent to this guest on July 2nd, the day he send me his mail reporting this problem :

"I am so sorry and at the same time grateful that you brought this problem to my attention : in 24 years, it is the first time we have these......As soon as I arrived, I checked your room, and yes we found some bed bugs, and I immediately call someone specialized who treated the room, which is now condemned for 48 hours.

As I had no complain from other guests, we assume that they are only in room 203, but as we know they can move fast, I ordered a check-up of all the rooms, to be sure....the problem is that these bugs travel in suitcases, so you are never sure not to get some : it is a nightmare, believe me.

I really apologize for this, and I appreciate you taking the time to tell me, thanks to you we were able to react before it takes bigger proportions....

I thank you very much for your concern, and I hope that, nevertheless, you will keep a good memory of your stay in Paris

Sincerely yours",

May I add now, and all the people who know me will confirm, that not for one minute do I prioritize the business over the well-being of a person. If I had given you this impression, I am even more sorry and I do apologize...deeply.

Nevertheless, I want to confirm that this bed bugs problem is now solved, not one has survived. The Cie who did the job gave me a guaranty.

Nathalie Heckel
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We made last minute reservations here at the advice of our concierge in our hotel in Geneva. Great location on the island in the middle of Paris, the Ile St Louis. For the price, our room could have been better, but, it was clean, comfortable, quiet, and, not to mention, a last minute reservation!

The building is 17th century, a beautifully renovated and decorated former clubhouse of Louis XIII. The name of the hotel "Jeu de Paume" means "palm game", which was a ball and court game that originated in France. It is known as the precusor to tennis.

The hotel's lobby has comfortable sofas, fireplace, a small book exchange library, bar, and breakfast area. Take the stairs or small elevator to the second floor to appreciate a bird's eye view, and to relax on the sofa overlooking the lobby.

Notre Dame is a short walk away and there are pleasant little streets to walk around and take in the shops. I found this location to be a lovely reprieve from the hustle and bustle of Paris general.

We stayed here in December 2010 and came back to say "bon jour" when we were in Paris this past February 2012. As we sat sipping a glass of champagne in front of the fire, we were presented with a lovely book of the hotel to keep as a momento.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple