Hotel Sainte Beuve
$679
$1,619
$1,138
  • Pool
All reviewsluxembourg gardensle timbrenotre dame des champsquiet streetleft banksuperior roomrobes and slipperslovely hoteldifferent metro linesboutique hotelsmall hotelsappointed roomsst germainseparate toiletgood sizebreakfast was deliciousthe hotel staff
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Lovely two night stay in this hotel with my wife.

Location is great for metro, restaurants, gardens and sight seeing.

Service from hotel was great - from the moment I booked, until we left.

Would recommend highly to others and hope to visit again one day.

Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear guests,
Thank you for your nice review.
Our hotel is “surrounded” by many restaurants, bistros and boulangeries; this area is therefore really enjoyable. Moreover the Jardin du Luxembourg is just one minute walk away from the hotel. The location is therefore really convenient with 3 metro lines close by (4, 6 and 12).
We take great pride in providing the highest level of service at any time. Our staff is therefore delighted to help guests during their stay with dinner reservations or excursion bookings. They are of course always happy to answer any questions our guests might have before their stay upon reservation.
Our team hopes to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed here in May 2013. This is a great location that is in a quiet area of the city with very easy access to the Metro--underground. Several restaurants in the area are worth a try if you don't feel like going into the main part of the city. Nice room, large bathroom, quiet, clean, and comfortable. The breakfast was included and had a variety of items to choose from.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WorldTravelerOR
Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear guests,
Many thanks for your nice review.
Our hotel is located on a quiet street in a nice and convenient area with 3 metro stops within 5 minute walk (line 4, 6 and 12). Moreover, there are countless typical restaurants and bistros close to the hotel as well.
It is very important for us that our guests feel at home in our hotel. We therefore pay extra attention to everything in our hotel: from the room cleanliness to the selection of products for breakfasts as well as decoration or even the selection of music played in our lobby… We were therefore delighted to read you enjoyed your breakfast. We only serve fresh products to our guests for breakfasts: freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit salad, fresh bread and croissants…
The whole team hopes to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Hotel Sainte Beuve. The staff was helpful and the lobby tastefully decorated. The rooms were fine. Small but the decor was nice. The location was good. It took us two days to figure out how to get back to the hotel but once we figured out the train system (3 different ones nearby) we liked the location. The hotel is located on a quiet street which was good for sleeping. We are not sure about the value of the hotel since it was expensive but so was everything else in Paris.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vickimsea
Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear guests,
First of all we want to thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel.
Providing the highest level of service to our guests is one of our top priorities. We were thus really pleased to read that you enjoyed it.
The location of our hotel is indeed really convenient with 3 metro stops within 5 minute walk (line 4,6 and 12). Our guests can therefore easily discover Paris during the day, and come back to a quieter place in the evening to relax. Moreover, there are countless restaurants and bistros in the neighborhood.
There are different offers on our website depending on periods and availability.
We sincerely hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I just returned from a 4-night stay at the Hotel Sainte Beuve. We arrived at the hotel late on our first night and received Room 19. It was a very outdated room with poor bedding and a separate toilet area essentially in the middle of the room. Additionally, the walls and floorboards were in poor repair and the furniture in the room appeared to be purchased from a somewhat low-grade flea market. I recall my parents having furniture of this quality in the mid-1970's. Despite responses to the contrary from the hotel management in other reviews, our room looked absolutely nothing like any of the rooms featured on the hotel's website. It was honestly appalling how poor the condition of our room was compared to these photos. In fact, if they had a picture of my room on their website, no one would stay there.

After a terrible night's sleep on an old mattress and airplane quality pillows, I informed the hotel the next morning that we would be checking out and moving to another hotel for the remainder of our Paris stay. Despite articulating my dismay with the quality of our room and feeling like I had been deceived by the misleading website photos, I was informed by the hotel manager that their cancellation policy called for a minimum 3-night charge. I was fine with paying for the single night, but being forced to pay for 3 nights seemed a bit outrageous to me. Despite my obvious concerns and disappointment with the hotel, I was essentially being held hostage financially and forced to stay additional nights. Why the hotel would choose to potentially damage its reputation over allowing someone to leave is beyond my comprehension. That being said, I was moved to a different room for the remainder of my stay. While also outdated, this new room was not as poor as the room we stayed on the first night, which is not saying very much.

I will anticipate a response from hotel management for this review, but they had the option of making things right and letting me leave the hotel after the first night. I certainly made my feelings very well known to them, in a clear and calm manner. While there are some who may find the conditions of this hotel quaint and homey, I prefer a more updated room in better condition. For the mid-200 USD per night charge, accommodations were definitely lacking. Hotel staff overall was very friendly, but that unfortunately did not make up entirely for the lack of quality for the accommodations and the hotel's unwillingness to let unhappy guests leave on their own accord without further financial obligation. I would urge the hotel ownership to learn from my experience and consider altering its cancellation policy, especially when it comes to unhappy guests who feel betrayed by the hotel website's misleading photos.

Room Tip: Ask for a room featured on the website or ask them to take a picture of the room they'll be assigning to you. Otherwise, you'll be held to the same cancellation policy as we were when you find yourself in an old room with outdated amenities.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JimmyTrip
Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear guests,

From your review, it looks like our hotel is not the type of hotel you wanted to book in the first place. Maybe you should therefore have made sure to reserve a more updated hotel.

As I have told you, we only applied our cancellation policy because we would not have been able to sell your room on such short notice.

Last but not least, we were very surprised to read your comment about our website. Indeed most of our guests think the pictures on our official website truly reflect our hotel and its atmosphere. Moreover a detailed description for each type of room is to be found on our official website.

Charlotte and Laurent Inchauspé
Owners

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at this small hotel two years ago with my daughter. We liked it so much I returned with my husband for a few nights. On my first trip my room was small, but beautifully decorated, and the bathroom was a good size.
This time my husband and I had a bigger room overlooking the street. As is the rest of the hotel, again it was beautifully decorated with charming pieces of furniture.
On our first night we shared a bottle of champagne with some friends, in the bar area. Again this is small, but intimate, and our friends commented on how much ambience this space has.
We love the Montparnasse area, and will definitely use this hotel again when we return to Paris.

Room Tip: A larger room overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Terranora
Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear guests,
It was a pleasure for us to read your kind review.
We were delighted to welcome you again and really pleased to see that you still enjoy the ambiance.
We have indeed been trying for several years now to keep the same atmosphere in our hotel, which our guests like very much. We do have a cosy and intimate bar area for our guests. To add even more charm to this atmosphere, we lit a real chimney fire in our lobby every evening during winter.
We have 4 different types of rooms, with different sizes as well. Several photos are available on the hotel’s website.
We hope to welcome you again and again in our hotel.
Charlotte and Laurent Inchauspé