“Parisian Pleasure”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Parisian Pleasure”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'm not sure if it's my time of life but I've stayed in some of the better hotels of late (that is in my limited experience). My wife booked this hotel as part of a trip that she planned to mark my 50th birthday. She couldn't have got it more right. Generally the hotels in Paris needn't try too hard, they are after all in one of (if not THE) most beautiful towns in the world another will sell rooms as a result.. The hotel Sainte Beuve is different - we hit on a gem. First it's location - 6th Arr. is just about the best for us. It's a stride from the tourist centre, in fact its a stroll through the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens. But, the district immediately around the hotel is one full of interest too and one in which I'm happy to while away my time in the genuinely original bars, street markets that sell food, not trash and with Parisians. In fact it's like being in the capital of France!

One's arrival at any hotel often sets the tone for a stay, the staff greeting and the reception area form the first impressions. These were both excellent. The interior design of the hotel made us feel good when we arrived, the staff had a competent and relaxed manner. Together, these made us instantly feel like we could make this our home for the next few days.

Paris is easy to walk through, it's beautiful, my favourite city to walk in in fact. After putting a few miles under our belts and photos in the camera, returning to the Sainte Beuve did indeed feel like walking into a home from home.

The room was comfortable, the bed especially and the decor maintained the tasteful yet homely feel to the place. Crucially, the quality was high too. A clever mix.

The bathroom was nice, small (it's Paris after all), but ample and of a pleasingly good standard. Everything worked, and I don't mean just technically. There was no need to accommodate any slight malfunctions in fittings or function.

I'd like to make particular mention of the staff. They were excellent in every respect. Enough said.

I've read that this hotel is noted for its high returning customer numbers. Put me down as one more and I'm certain if you stay here, you'll be one too.

Room Tip: Superior double.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael63UK
Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear guests,
We were truly touched by your kind review.
Our hotel is indeed located in a little quiet street in a nice location with genuine charm. Our guests can find within walking distance countless restaurants, cafés and bistros.
We take great pride in providing the highest level of service at any time. Our staff is therefore at the guests’ service during all the stay, always ready to help.
Decoration and layout are also really important to us. Therefore we try to maintain this very unique and welcoming atmosphere that our guests enjoy a lot.
The whole team looks forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Charlotte et Laurent Inchauspé

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Richboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We absolutely loved our stay at the Hotel and would comeback in an heartbeat! Located On a small street in the nice quite neighborhood of the 6th arrondissement close to the metro. A very chic and stylish lobby with an exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. We decided to pay extra for the breakfast and it was outstanding. A beautiful set table greeted us each morning. There were many selections to choose from including a fresh fruit salad, orange juice, cereal, ham, cheese, yogurt and coffee with a little red sugar heart attached to the rim of the cup! Rooms were small like most in Europe, but with plenty of room and immaculate. It was very nice to have a bathrobe and slippers in the modern bathroom as well. Many excellent restaurants close by and just a few blocks from the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens and St Germaine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,
We were very pleased to read your nice review.
Our location is indeed very convenient and greatly enjoyed by our guests.
We were delighted to read you enjoyed your breakfast. We only serve fresh products to our guests for breakfasts: freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit salad, fresh bread and croissants…
We have four different types of rooms in our hotel. You can find a small description as well as a few pictures of these rooms on our official website.
We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My 13 year old daughter and I stayed at Hotel Saite Beuve March 2013 for a spring break trip. The hotel was tucked away on the the very quiet Rue Sainte Beuve, but is actually part of a bustling businss/residential district just steps away. The hotel was very small and cozy, with a very inviting lobby and bar area. The room was spacious and comfortable with a mini bar ($) and safe, lots of cabinets and two armoires for storage. A nice writing desk, chest-of-drawers and a side talble and chairs. The bedding, linens and draperies were very clean and of good quality. A window with small balcony that opened onto the street. The bathroom was very nice and spacious, with a towel warmer (nice surprise), nice toiletries provided and an EXTRA large porcelin tub that we used every night! There were 3 nice, sit down restaurants within a 30 second walk on the same street. We did not eat a meal at the hotel, but had an excellent room service delivery of dessert late one night. There is a pharmacy right across the street. All of the staff was English speaking and in fact, they spoke several languages. They were VERY helpful and knowledgeable of the area and provided nice maps and subway directions for us on several occassions. We could easily walk to the Montparnasse shopping mall and there were dozens of charming bakeries, boutiques and restaurants within an easy walking distance. The BEST thing about this hotel was it's proximity to 4 metro stations, one within a 30 second walk from the front door of the hotel! Due to this great location, we didn't have to take a taxi during our entire stay. The hotel was also VERY affordable by Paris standards, and we will definitely be back. While it was a family trip for my daughter and me this time, this hotel could be a great setting for a romatic getaway.

Room Tip: Our bed had two twins pushed together to make a king. Choose a high floor, because there was upper...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MrsFrazior
Dear guests,
What a delight for us to read your comment!
Our hotel is located only a minute away from the Luxembourg Garden. The area is quiet and yet lively with countless restaurants, boutiques and bakeries close by. Moreover, thanks to 3 metro stations within walking distance, our guests can chose to walk or take a metro to discover Paris.
We take great pride in our level of service and were very pleased to read you enjoyed it.
We also pay extra attention to the decoration and cleanliness in our hotel, but also to the selection of toiletries in the rooms.
Our team hopes to welcome you again in the future.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We spent a very enjoyable three nights here. It's in a quiet location in a very nice, bustling neighbourhood that's well served by public transport, and sites like the Rodin Museum and the Luxembourg Gardens are within walking distance. There are plenty of interesting shops, and good cafes and restaurants nearby.

The hotel's decor is pleasing, and the communal spaces comfortable and inviting. And 10/10 for the staff, who without exception couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

My only reservation was the size of the room - while characterful and not uncomfortable, we did feel it could have been larger, particularly given the room rates. But overall, I would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear guests,
First of all we want to thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel.
It is always a pleasure for us to read that our guests enjoyed their stay in our hotel.
Our hotel is indeed located in a really nice and lively area with many restaurants and metro stations within walking distance.
We take great pride in providing the highest level of service at any time. Our staff is therefore delighted to help guests during their stay with dinner reservations or excursion bookings.
We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
Reviewed February 28, 2013

It is really great hotel with wonderful rooms! I really liked the design. The room was very charming and comfortable with beautiful bathroom. Breakfast were served at the lobby and were great - choice of continental/american. Location of the hotel is also great - pretty close to Jardin de Luxembourg with lots of pretty little cafes and restaurants in close neighborhood. Louvre, Museé d'Orsay and many more are in walking distance - as much as you can say "walking distance" in connection with Paris :-) Really liked staying in Sainte Beuve and have to say it will be first hotel in Paris I will come back to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Marek B
Laurent I, Propriétaire at Hotel Sainte Beuve, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your nice review.
We indeed only serve fresh products to our guests for breakfasts: freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit salad, fresh bread and croissants…It is really important for us that our guests start their day with an excellent breakfast.
The Jardin du Luxembourg is located at one minute walk from our hotel. Our guests can walk to most of the major attractions in Paris from our hotel or take one of the metros close by (line 4,6 and 12).
You can find several pictures of all our different type of rooms on our official website.
Our team hopes to welcome you again in the future.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have finally found my hotel in Paris! I had previously had a bad experience with a small hotel off the Plaza de Republique and again with a larger, branded hotel in Montparnasse. As such, I was very weary of returning to Paris, particularly to a small 3/4 star hotel. However, based upon the TripAdvisor ratings, I chose HSB and I am so, so glad I did.

The hotel sits in a quiet street between Bd. Raspail and Rue de Notre Dame de Champs in the 6th. And. It surrounding by upscale shops, restaurants, and apartments. There are several good brasseries, an Indian restaurant, a pizza shop, and a cuban eatery and cigar lounge all within 100 meters. Similarly, the hotel is located across the street from a pharmacy and there are banks, salons, and all manner of basic services close by. Despite, the traffic from Bd. Raspail, the street itself is quiet and unbothered even in the middle of the day.

I only wanted to spend about 180 Euro but I still wanted a hotel with room and laundry service and a few business staples. HSB was perfect for this. When I arrived I decided to upgrade to the Jr. Suite because after a long day of traveling I wanted the additional space to stretch my legs. It was just wonderful. The bathroom was one of the most luxurious in Paris. It was spotlessly clean with a beautiful black and white color scheme with good water pressure (by Parisian standards), deep soaking tub, and his and hers sinks. The only small frustration I had with the bathroom was that it did not have a traditional wall-mounted shower head. This would have improved my experience.

Furnishings were tasteful and very homey with wicker and wood furniture and a couch. Pictures on the hotel's website are accurate. The room was full of little touches like a library of travel books about Paris in the room. Internet signal was strong and allowed me to catch up on some work. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet even in the middle of the day.

All of the staff members I dealt with were friendly, helpful, and multilingual. Following their recommendation, I had an excellent meal at Cafe Rotonde only a block or so from the hotel. The lobby is bright and comfortable to sit for a drink.

I do not think I could have spent 200 Euros any better in Paris and for me that is the true test of a hotel. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank twainandwhitman
Dear guests,
We were truly touched by your kind review.
Our hotel is indeed located in a little quiet street in a nice and convenient location. Our guests can find within walking distance countless restaurants, cafés and bistros.
Our Junior Suite is our largest and nicest room. Pictures of this room are to be seen on our official website.
We created a nice and cosy atmosphere for our guests in our lobby as well as in our rooms. We also like to add books and magazines in the rooms to make our guests’ stay even more enjoyable.
The whole team looks forward to welcoming you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were completely charmed by this gorgeous, unpretentiously stylish hotel (designed by David Hicks Ltd). It was delightfully peaceful and quiet, our room was both lovely and comfortable, and the reception staff could not be faulted; friendly and helpful without being intrusive, nothing was too much bother.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,
We were very pleased to read your nice review.
We pay extra attention to maintain a very high level of service in our hotel every day. Our guests can thus contact the front desk at any time should they have a question or a special request. Our staff is always delighted to help.
Our hotel was indeed designed by David Hicks Ltd and we do work hard to offer a welcoming atmosphere to our guests.
The whole team sincerely hopes to welcome you again in the future.