“A small hotel in a great location in Saint Germain des Pres”

Hotel des Saints-Peres - Esprit de France
Ranked #147 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The location of this hotel makes it worth the price of the rooms. We had a fairly spacious room with 2 double beds and a roomy bathroom. There was adequate storage space for both of us to feel comfortable on our 6 day stay. The lobby area has a sitting room with a small bar and there is also a nice enclosed garden which is used in good weather. The front desk was very helpful with any of our questions including restaurant recommendations. There is a small elevator to transport one person and your luggage if you are staying on the second floor. Our entire stay was pleasant and we were never too far from the local sights or a metro station.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We checked into Hotel Des Saints-Peres after our original reservation fell through. I am glad we ended up here. The room, a triple, is priced well for the St. Germaine area. The room is actually a suite, with a nice bath that has both a shower and a tub. We are close to the Seine, but also close to the beautiful boutiques and cafes of this area. The staff is friendly and very attentive. I don't know why people say Parisians are unfriendly snobs. This staff could not be better! They will even dial your phone for you. Breakfast is included and is very nice, continental, with fresh bread and coffee. I would be very happy tostayhere again. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is because there is no restaurant or bar, although there is room service if you wish. Tres bien!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Nice cozy hotel in good location. less then 10 minutes walk in many sights like Notre Dame, Louvre etc... also shopping possabilities are just around the corner. Prada, Armani, RL, Gucci, LV and rest.. all in same and street next to hotel. But still located not in the main street so it's quiet. Individual rooms with old furnitures and paintings. Bed are standard hotel beds. Room is clean. Nice and helpful staff. Safety box and minibar in every room. Not too small rooms and bathrooms, this is because of building age.
Brekfast is small but there enough, possible to order it in the room without extra charge (i think). Would deffinately come again.
Metro, HopOnHopOff tour and Busses are going also street next to hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My wife and I arrived late Saturday afternoon after spending three weeks in the South of France. We had book a four night stay and were eagerly anticipating the deluxe room that I had reserved 6 months earlier based on the internet pictures. Hah!! Our ground floor room was dark and dingy, the carpet was heavily stained wall-to-wall with ground in dirt and was ripped at the seams. The painted woodwork was chipped throughout the room, the ceiling was cracked and the only daylight came from French doors to a tiny, muddy terrasse whose paving stones were green with mildew from lack of sunlight. Furnishings were basic and minimal and I could easily touch the ceiling. My wife, who happens to be French, was not amused and expressed our displeasure to the manager most vociferously. After assessing the situation he declared that he would have the chambermaid give the carpet "un nettoyage a fond"!!! (a deep cleaning). Not acceptable; the carpet was just one of the many problems with this supposedly deluxe room. We insisted on another room, and one that looked like their website!!

Since the hotel was understandably full that evening we would be moved to a different room the next day. In fairness, when we returned at 6:00 p.m. after spending a beautiful day sightseeing in Paris, our luggage had been moved to a very nice room on an upper floor; much more like a “deluxe” room this time. From then on our stay was great. The staff were most helpful and very pleasant, and the hotel is perfectly located for Paris sightseeing, so what started as a nasty bump in the road finished very well.

What I can’t understand is why such a nice little hotel would risk it’s reputation with such an awful room (perhaps rooms?). There are over 600 3- and 4-star hotels in Paris, so why should visitors have to play Russian room roulette by reserving here? Certainly we won’t do it again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DiamondBill
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The hotel is located a block off of Saint Germain, a short walk to the Lourve, and in the heart of the best shopping in Paris. We opted out of using the Metro, so we actually walked everywhere from here. 45 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower, about an hour to the Arc, Less than 15 minutes to the Lourve, Notre Dame, and the Latin Quarter. Less than 5 minutes to Cafe de Flore, Le Bon Marche, Le Grande Epicerie.

The hotel itself is lovely. The staff is friendly, English speaking, and very accomodating. We especially appreciated all the help finding a creperie after a night of drinking (Thanks Louis)! The courtyard and lounge are perfect places for a pre-dinner cocktail.

The lift was down when we stayed, so the 4 story trek to our room was not fun with luggage or a few cocktails under tow, but we managed. The room was Parisian, charming, very spacious. Not modern, not dirty but not spotless, but overall comfortable. The air conditioning wasn't working too well, but luckily the temperature was cool enough at night that it didn't become a real issue. Internet is free, but you have to ask for a code at the front desk.

I would absolutely go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PhillyRN31
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I have stayed at the hotel many times over the past four years and always enjoy its Parisien charm and excellent location. However, I have noticed a deterioration in the decor which has not been changed in all my stays. The room I had on this visit was frankly a little depressing and didn't feel at all fresh. For example, the glasses were dirty, ditto the beside tables, one of the lamps was broken and the TV had more missing channels than operative ones.

But they do say be careful what you wish for. And, it seems that the much needed makeover may be under way. I was woken up on my first morning by a decorator scraping the walls in the room adjacent to mine! I appreciate that hotels cannot close down for this sort of work, but it seemed rather ungallant to put me in a room next to all the work without warning me or reducing the rate (but at least I could now make sense of the polythene sheet I tripped over outside my room when I arrived the previous night).

I would still recommend the hotel to sightseers - the price for the location is good. But, I'm not sure it's suitable for a business traveller who spends time in their room to whom a functioning desk light, TV channels and uplifting environment helps create a home away from home.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank redsandyboy
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Hotel Des Saints Peres. This was a lovely hotel and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We booked a deluxe room so as to get a king sized bed and when we arrived we were upgraded to a suite. We had a huge room on the third floor with a large sitting room attached. The tiled bathroom was large with a separate shower stall as well as a tub. There was plenty of hot water. The room overlooked an inner courtyard and was very quiet.

The staff was very friendly and assisted us with directions and restaurant recommendations and even gave us up to the minute advise about the strike closures when we called in during the day.

The hotel is situated in a great area with lots of cafes and shopping within the surrounding streets. They offered breakfast for 14 euros but we never ate there as this sounded expensive and there were many places around to get something.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple