“You can't go wrong!”
Review of Artus Hotel by MH

Artus Hotel by MH
Ranked #107 of 1,803 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The room was on the small side and a little bit worn, but very comfortable. It had everything you need.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, only a five minute walk to the heart of the city and river Seine. It is also great for all the bars and restaurants in the Latin Quarter with them literally on your doorstep. Surprisingly we heard very little noise from them when we went to bed. The buzz around you is really lovely. It is also very convenient for a couple of Metro stations.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
Hotels_MHurand, Directeur général at Artus Hotel by MH, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! It is a pleasure hearing that you enjoyed your stay at The Artus Hotel and that you felt comfy.

We hope that we can welcome you on "Paris Rive Gauche" soon again!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I will just stick to facts here and try not to step into hyperbole. Let's start with what is good about this hotel.

- I love the location in St. Germain. Close to everything and a wonderful neighborhood to be central to everything. Metro stops nearby and walkable to many, many sites.
- The employees are friendly, bilingual and do their best to make your stay enjoyable. This despite the famous "Sanjay" being on vacation (the concierge mentioned in other reviews).
- They had good suggestions for restaurants, were able to provide tickets for some venues (Musee de Orsay) so we didn't have to stand in line.

Now for the negatives.

- I don't get the four star rating nor all the good reviews, but maybe my experience was just "unlucky".
- Upon arrival, the hotel elevator was not operating. I had gone to return a rental car assuming my wife would simply be able to push the luggage cart into the elevator and to our room while I was gone. Instead, she had to lug all our four suitcases up the stairway without any help offered. Additionally, the air conditioning was not operating in the hotel either. They did get that fixed within a half hour of arriving. Thank goodness as the next few days were very hot.
- We were on the 1st floor (room 117). Upon entering the room, a foul odor was apparent. Also, there were stains in the carpet near the door. It might have been coffee. Hopefully, it wasn't blood. When I checked to see if the hotel was full, it was, thus no chance to change rooms. My wife would spray some perfume around every time we entered to make it bearable.
- The sink was clogged and the towel heater was on with no way to turn it off. This was acting as a radiator competing with the AC to keep the room cool. I promptly notified the staff about the sink, the odor and asked how to turn off the towel rack. I was told that someone would fix it promptly and that the technician would need to turn off the towel rack. After we went out all day and returned, it was obvious that nothing was done. Later, the front desk called to ask if everything was taken care of. I noted that, it wasn't. She then told me that the maintenance guy was out that day. I thought that was funny... then why call to ask if everything was fixed? No biggie, just the front desk doing their job, I guess. The sink clog was fixed on our second evening, but the bad aroma still remained.
- The entire room had was in desperate need of an upgrade. The bed was comfortable and the bedding clean, but the bath was so in need of repair. While "clean", the grout was moldy in the shower. The shower head was hilarious. It was one of those rain shower heads, but this one had every opening clogged and all the water just came out around the circumference of the head and poured down in a narrow heavy stream. Thank goodness there was a handheld shower as well. That worked well.
- One night, the power in our room quit. We were just lying in bed relaxing before dinner and it just quit. The rest of the hotel was fine. Got up, got dressed, and went to the lobby. Again, the front desk tried to correct the situation and after 15 minutes, they were able to do so. During this time, the front desk guy opened the circuit board that was pretty much accessible to all. I mentioned to him that we still had hot towel rack and he said, that he could fix that easily. It was just a switch on the circuit panel. Two days of waiting to get a request fulfilled that was so simple. If I knew this on the first day, I could have done it myself. Finally, the room was now able to get a bit cooler.

To the hotel's credit, they did apologize and send a half bottle of champagne but for all the problems we had, I would have expected to have one of our three nights removed from our stay. I rent our a vacation home in Colorado and that's what I would do.

This hotel is tired and in need of a major upgrade. It seems the improvements they have made are all ad-hoc. Replace a carpet here, a sink there. And then, to top things off, after being told I could print my boarding pass from the lobby computer, I spent 20 minutes getting checked in via Delta to Air France just before our car was to arrive and lo' and behold, the printer would not work. I had to laugh as it was a fitting end to a really bad three night stay.

It seems the hotel was undergoing numerous repairs as a tall ladder seemed to live on the lobby floor for a few days along with 10 or so box of new fire extinguishers.

Four star hotel? Not even close except for the front desk personnel. For all these things to happen during a three day stay qualifies for some sort of award.

Room Tip: Our room, 117, was horrible. The smell as you entered was really bad. I would recommend you check...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WeAlwaysLove2Travel
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We would stay here again. Staff was good, really good location located right off of 2 metro stops and a lot of great left bank attractions nearby. I think this is a very good area to stay especially if you are not familiar with paris. There was a nice market a few blocks away which we enjoyed and really liked the choice of restaurants nearby. A bit of a pricey area

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Traveling787,

So glad to see you had such a great time with us!

Thank you for your four star rating!

We look forward to continuing to welcome you back!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

After having stayed in different arrondissements on previous visits to Paris (1 and 16)we chose St Germain des Pres. The Artus hotel is wonderfully situated on Rue de Buci. It is close to 2 metro stations and has a buzzng street life directly outside - an endless choice of cafes and restaurants. There is a conveniently situated supermarket a few blocks away.
Our room at the hotel was small in size but comfortable. It was surprisingly quiet considering the masses of people in the street below. The room had been newly renovated and was aesthetically pleasing. Our experience was enhanced by the warmth and hospitality of the staff. The exceptional concierge,Sanjay, went the extra mile to make our Parisian experience extremely pleasant and meaningful. Breakfast was of a good quality and variety. Shopping in the area is fantastic. It was a short walk over the river Seine to the Louvre and the right bank of Paris. The metro was a very efficient way of getting around Paris.We would certainly choose the Artus hotel on future visits.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback from your most recent stay at The Artus Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and will use it in order to improve our service.
Concerning the size of our rooms, you're right. The buildings on the left bank are smaller than the right bank which is typical of Saint Germain des Prés.

We hope to be able to welcoming you back in the near future with a more personal touch to your stay.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We returned to Paris after many years, this time as a family. While the rooms are very small it is what I expect in such a hotel. What made our stay spectacular was the hospitality we received from the head concierge Sanjay and his staff. There was nothing that needed to be organised such as restaurants, shopping or tours that werent done for us and the recommendations were fabulous. This is a great location and there are lots of interesting places to eat as well as being close to all transport.
Thank you to Sanjay for making our stay so personable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Greatings from Paris,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear that your visit have been enjoyable and that our team continuously shows dedication to exceed your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future for another tremendous and delightful experience at The Artus Hotel.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Artus Hotel for five nights in July.

The hotel is in a fantastic location in Saint-Germain-des-Prés, close to major museums and some great restaurants and nightlife, including on its doorstep on Rue de Buci. We ate really well, and felt right in the heart of the Left Bank.

Our room had an old-Hollywood theme going on, and while small, was quite stylish and certainly adequate for our needs.

From the moment we booked, the Chef Concierge Sanjay was great, making restaurant reservations and recommendations, one of which (L'Epigramme) counts as a highlight of our stay in Paris. There are a lot of positive comments about Sanjay on this site, and it's easy to see why; very, very professional.

The rest of the Artus team were less impressive, displaying that passive aggressive attitude so common from service staff in Paris. I often felt as though they thought they were doing us a favour by undertaking their jobs.

In short, an OK hotel in a great part of town, with a top-notch concierge, let down somewhat by the rest of the staff. I will probably stay somewhere else when I return to Paris.

• Stayed: July 2013
Hotels_MHurand, Directeur général at Artus Hotel by MH, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity to express my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced at the Artus Hotel whilst on your visit to Paris.

I was sorry to discover of the issues you encountered with our Front Desk Department. We will act to take your comments on board and prevent similar problems arising in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and do let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We just returned from a short weekend in Paris. We were happy enough with Hotel Artus. It is clean and well located. While others had raved about the staff, I found them not so happy and not so pleasant. Maybe that was just me. Further, the carpet on the stairs down to the breakfast nook was visibly dirty. Gross. However, the room was clean even though it was absolutely tiny. I think ours was the smallest room -- we could look inside other rooms and see they were far roomier. So if you get room 143, ask for another room.

I guess the only other frustration is that the hotel is supposed to be smoke free. Paris is not smoke free -- and neither is the hotel. In the middle of the night, when our neighbors lit up, the smoke seeped into our room as well. We, Americans, are so spoiled with the absence of smoke -- it makes it really hard to tolerate any kind of second hand wafting.

But, Paris is great, as always. A beautiful place to visit.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask to see another room if you think yours is too small to turn around in! The rooms var...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Hotels_MHurand, Directeur général at Artus Hotel by MH, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Traveler,

Besides, we would like to thank you for all the positive points you pointed out about our hotel.

You were perfectly right about the size of the Parisian hotel rooms. In Paris, and specifically in the Saint Germain district, the hotel rooms are not very spacious. The dimension of our rooms matches the standards set by the arrondissement though. But we work hard to try to give « a soul » to this place, a particular cozy atmosphere and to provide a personalized service.

It will be a pleasure a pleasure to welcoming you again at the Artus Hotel in a larger room !