“Amazing location, huge rooms, lots of charm”

Hotel d'Angleterre, Saint Germain des Pres
Ranked #803 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed four nights at the Hotel d'Angleterre and were very impressed. The next time I'm in Paris, I'd certainly book this hotel again. The location is really hard to beat. It's just a short walk to the Seine and all the shopping and restaurants of Saint Germain des Pres. We walked all over Paris from here but also enjoyed just hanging out in the immediate neighborhood, which is charming and lovely.

Our room was absolutely huge. It was easily twice the size of any other hotel room I've had in Paris. I was not expecting this kind of space, which is truly rare in Paris. The toilet and bath were in separate rooms, and the room with the toilet was so small as to be hilarious, but it worked just fine. The room with the bath and shower was spacious. The rooms are not completely updated, but they don't feel old in a bad way and they're very clean. I was looking for something with a bit of French charm, and not a sterile business hotel, and that is exactly what the Hotel d'Angleterre provides. We loved it. We had a small TV (never used, too busy outside enjoying Paris), a large dresser, desk and big wardrobe with plenty of space for our things. Our room had very high ceilings and tall windows you could open which overlooked the courtyard. It was quiet both day and night.

I really love the courtyard at the Hotel d'Angeleterre. It's the perfect place to sit with a book and cup of coffee. On our way back to the hotel after sightseeing, we would stop by Laduree down the block and then come sit in the courtyard to enjoy a macaron or two. It's a great feature of this hotel. We also found everyone at the front desk very helpful and polite, even when we accidentally locked our room key inside our room. They helped us with restaurant recommendations and airport shuttle reservations. They always had a smile and "Bonjour!" when we walked through the door. Overall, very nice. I've stayed in a number of hotels in Paris and this is my favorite so far.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Erin74

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Typically Parisian charm-hotel, with the warmest welcome! Nice little garden , comfortabel bedding room with garden view. Carpark 2 minutes walk..not a modern 4-star, but a great 3-star charming typical Paris-style hotel. Did miss a mini-bar though, but drinks are being served 24hrs at the bar, to take up to your room.Lots of great restaurants just outside. Recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank JeroenC
Reviewed April 17, 2014

For 275 euros per room I would expect much much more from a hotel.
NO AMENITIES in the room what so ever!!
NO kettle and tea/coffee to make yourself a cup of tea upon waking up.
NO slippers (did they really expect me to pack slippers into that one suitcase?)
NO bathrobe.
No bottle of water to welcome you.
1st day we got the right amount of towels. 2nd day they started cutting back on towels.
And on top of that, rooms facing the street are TERRIBLY NOISY at 7 am when the garbage track rolls into the street shouting and banging. I personally asked for a room facing the courtyard upon booking 1 month earlier. When we got to the hotel they told me they only had a room facing the street, but not to worry because it was quiet since it’s in a high floor - ha ha...don't buy into that.
The rooms need urgent renovation. They are terribly outdated. Hardly any electricity sockets – we had to decide between the bedside lamp or loading our cellphones. A very very old looking closet, with doors you can’t close unless you lock them.
I stayed there for 5 nights. No one asked me even once at the reception if I was enjoying my room.
All in all – TERRIBLE!

Room Tip: Not worth the money. Just find another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank NYC girl K
Rémy S, Directeur général at Hotel d'Angleterre, Saint Germain des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We were very surprised by the comments you made, it is still quite rare. However we understand that you have not been satisfied for several reasons, and we wanted to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused during your stay.

We wanted to have a feedback during your 5 nights stay but apparently I have not heard about this situation. We would specifically rectified all abnormal situation and that would help us to curb some malfunction.

We would like to address the fact that all our rooms have amenities as in every hotels in the world.
We do not have the services of a 4 stars (we are 3 stars) but we do have room service which enables you any time to order drinks. We do have slippers on request, but we have no bathrobe.
We realized that there was apparently a failure in the service, but again, we would have like you to let us know.
Towels are an obvious necessity in a hotel.

I may correct your appreciation about our room because I do not think you have visited all our rooms to say that they need to be renovated.
We would have at least wanted to know the room number and also know who took care of your room. Also your name (on a private email) we could maybe give you some compensation. I wanted to know personally the details of your reservation to understand why you did not have a room on the court yard.
Again we can not understand your reaction while during your stay you have been silent.

Our customers do not hesitate to give us their feedback on the spot. After we often discuss the way to find solutions. For example, providing a kettle to one of our customers or other things. We are often confused with a 4 star because we have a sense of service. There are two people at the reception and we probably have the biggest rooms in the neighbourhood, it is very appreciative from our customers.
It is obvious that you have not been satisfied, we have not been able to know this, and we are truly sorry.

Regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I did a lot of research prior to my trip to Paris. I was traveling with my mom and we both chose 3 hotels in St. Germain des pres, and then we each chose our favorite. As it turns out, we both chose Hotel d'Angleterre, and I am so happy that we did. The location cannot be beat...close to the metro, restaurants, etc..., and within a short walk to Musee D'Orsay, Louvre, Notre Dame, etc...

We got lucky and were given the Hemmingway room, where Ernest Hemmingway stayed. It was beautiful. Yes, it was a bit noisy as it faced the street, but not bad at all. I am a very light sleeper and I was fine. The breakfast is really good...meats, cheeses, breads, cereals, fruit, etc...

I would say above all else that the service provided is amazing...always helpful with any question, request, etc...I truly cannot say enough good things and wish I was back there right now, enjoying a cup of coffee!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TexasBostonGirl
Rémy S, Directeur général at Hotel d'Angleterre, Saint Germain des Pres, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you very much for your opinion about the hotel.
it was a pleasure to read your review.
We hope to see you very soon, maybe in Hemingway's room?
Best Regards,

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This traditional small hotel in the heart of Saint Germain des Prés is wher I usually stay when in Paris.
The main reasons: location, good cost for the location, quiet, polite staff.
Breakfast is not so good, some rooms need refurbishing but, as a whole, good to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carlosmp

Thank you very much for your opinion about the hotel.
We hope to see you soon in our hotel.
Best Regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I have always been a Left Bank person. I lived on rue M le Prince for a period of time. For a long time I stayed in the 5th. And even though the 5th is on the East Side and more convenient to what is going on in Paris. I prefer this spot in Saint Germain des Pres. The hotel is lovely with comfortable rooms and good bathrooms. The location is primo to galleries, shopping and casual dining. The service is appropriately friendly and v accommodating. I will always stay here in Paris.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank MABM917
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed here for a week in April 2013. I had a single room which is relatively compact, but it was roomy enough and exactly what the hotel promised. I would have considered a bigger room, but the hotel is clearly popular and by time I booked only a single room was available.

The room faces the internal courtyard and was very quiet, so I slept very well in the comfortable double bed. The room had a large desk which was very convenient. One thing that was lacking was enough power points, but I asked reception whether they had a powerboard with multiple power points and they quickly delivered one to my room. I found the staff friendly and helpful on all occasions.

The room came with a long narrow bathroom which was very good. It had a nice big bath and plenty of room around the basin. The free WiFi worked well.

The breakfast in the hotel was served in a very beautiful room. with the selections on top of a grand piano! I found the breakfast to be excellent.

The hotel is in an excellent location, not that far to walk to the Louvre. Most nights I walked to the neighbouring Latin Quarter for dinner and I found that an easy stroll. Not that far from the hotel, in Rue de Seine, there was a supermarket, which was great to buy cold drinks on the way back to the hotel before going to dinner or on the way back from dinner.

I would definitely consider staying here again. The only question I would need to answer would be depending on the season, as I do not recall an air-conditioner in the room, which was not an issue while I was there, but not sure how the room would be in the middle of summer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo