“Very nice, but beds are too short!!”

Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain
Ranked #275 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Zurich, Switzerland
“Very nice, but beds are too short!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with my husband while in Paris. Check in was slow...the guy who checked us in decided that half way through our check in he would try to organise a taxi. No idea who for (we were the only people in the lobby).....he was talking to us and then talking on speaker phone. Very frustrating!!
We were given a room right next to the elevator, which i wasn't so happy about. We asked to change and it was not a problem. We were given a room on a higher floor which looked into a small central courtyard.

If you are a light sleeper then it might be worth asking for a similar room. The front rooms are nice and look onto the street, but this area gets quite busy in the evenings with lots of people so it can be quite noisy.

Our room was big for Paris standards. I wouldn't say it was super clean (in particular the bathroom) The bathroom was in need of an update, and it wasn't so nice that the curtain rod kept falling off the window, especially when i was in the shower!
We didn't have breakfast at the hotel. There were so many other options for breakfast within walking distance of hotel. You can try Paul, Smiths, and a cute little place almost next door which is called
Francart Maison Gourmet. Lovely little sandwiches, cakes and even a take out option with lots of salads.

Beds were not super comfortable but okay. It was the fact that they were so short. Do the people who choose the length of the beds ever sleep in them?? I am 170cms tall (which is not that tall) and my feet hung over the edge.

A great location. Close to the metro station and within walking distance to The Louvre and several other things.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pinkpeonie
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, we thank you for taking time to put a review on our hotel.

Regarding your check-in, there is only one person at the front desk to do several things that is why sometime, he must makes various tasks simultaneously (like answer the phone, do a check-in, manage the concierge, etc…) but we never had any complains about that !

Indeed, for the choice of the room, you are right, if you are a light sleeper, half part of our hotel has rooms facing the court yard, so quieter than the rooms in front of the street. However, you have always the possibility to choose your room according to your preferences and that's what we did for you !

For the window in your bathroom, we send you our apologizes we are actually renovated all our rooms one by one based on priorities but make sure that we will take steps to fix it.
Concerning the bedding, our mattress has a length of 1.90m and a thickness of 20cm that why we do not understand why it was a problem for you with your 170cms tall.

We hope you still has a good impression (which seems to be the case) and welcome you a next time.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed July 31, 2014

The location was perfect for our first trip to Paris. Blocks from the Pont de Neuf, walking distance to Notre Dame, Luxembourg Gardens and even the Eiffel Tower. In the opposite direction (toward Blvd. St. Germain) - wonderful cafes and places to get ice cream and macaroons. The staff was wonderful and helpful and spoke English very well. Ludwig was THE BEST. The room was spacious, the shower small as expected but other than that....a wonderful first experience in Paris.

Room Tip: We had a room in the back which was fine. A room on the front probably would not be noisy at all.
1 Thank Rebecca C
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you so much for your comment. It is very appreciated ! We always saying that the first experience is the most important one and we are happy to see that you spent a very nice time with us . So, we are very proud to be part of it.

We hope that it will be only the beginning of a long relationship between you and us.

Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks, solo, and totally enjoyed it. I had a room in the back with a window that opened to a small courtyard. I was up high but below was a little patch of grass. There was a window box with flowers that took me 3 or 4 days to realize they were fake. It was pretty anyway.

The room had a double bed, 2 teeny shelves on either side of the bed, a very teeny safety deposit box built into the wall (had to give a 20e deposit that was returned when I checked out and returned the key), a desk with hot water electric pot (with instant coffee, tea, a few biscuits. My housekeeper didn't seem to speak much English but I left her a note in French and she resupplied me), small refrigerator with some items in it (I didn't use but bought my own cheese and water) and chair, a armless stool (I used for a plant stand for the flowers I bought the first day - sunflower. I also used it as a bigger night stand), a well- appointed large bathroom for the size of the room that had one of those warming racks and a hair dryer (although I will never figure out why the French and many European hotels have strange showers, either no shower stall or a partial glass wall or no wall. This one had no shower wall so water went all over until I figured out how to be less messy. It may sound like I am complaining but I do like this difference. It makes it a shower adventure and charming) and free wifi. I did find occasionally that wifi dropped me but it always came back and was not a problem at all. The room was small but felt cozy.

I only ate breakfast there once as it was 20e. I do love the breads and honey and meats but couldn't resist all the patisseries around for my breakfast. There is one a few doors down that I frequented and a few others close by.

I found the staff to be very nice. I made a point of learning their names and greeting them upon arrival and departure. I felt very safe there. The front desk person had to let you into the hotel for the most part so safety was not a problem. There is also a tiny bar that I didn't frequent either (bought my own wine and champagne). They also had water, juice and breads/pastries every afternoon in the lobby. Loved it.

The location is excellent. It is very convenient to the metro at Odeon and St. Michel. There are tons of restaurants, cafe's, etc. I love Laudree and it is only a few blocks away. This makes no sense since I didn't want to pay 20e at the hotel for breakfast but I went to Laudree 2x, it cost the same with less food but I loved it. It is very easy to get to many sites in St. Germain, cross the Seine to the Louvre, the Latin Quarter, etc. There is also an ATM machine down the block, grocery store, flower shop, etc. It is definitely a tourist area but walk around and explore. You can find good food and value.

I highly recommend the location. If you are looking for a large room this is not your place but for me everything was great. I would go back here.

Also, as to the cost. I got a package thru American Airlines for hotel and airfare.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank plan2gosoon
Dear Guest,

We cannot expect more from a guest who stayed with us ! What a WONDERFUL review. It is detailed, accurate and long enough to be transported through our hotel and feel each word you wrote. You should be a writer or if not, you have the skills to become one.

What can we tell more except THANK you again for taking time to put it and for your very high recommendation.

You are a part of our family now and we hope to welcome you as many times as you want

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel was booked by my travel agent. I knew Paris was expensive and the rooms would be small. Yes, Paris hotels are expensive and the room was small for two people but saying that the location was excellent. Walked to the Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee d'Orsay, Luxembourg Gardens The Seine is at the end of the street and the metro. Lots of restaurants and shops close by. I really enjoyed staying here. I arrived with a friend who stayed only 2 nights (was a little cramped) but then had three nights on my own and the room was great. The room was clean and the bathroom all worked well. Nice to have a window in the bathroom. Also delighted to find tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Not often found in Europe. Staff were friendly and helpful particularly as I speak no French. I would definitely stay at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain again.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the street. Was not a problem when the window was shut. Perhaps a room faci...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

What a great comment concerning our hotel! You almost summarized everything and thank you for taking the time to put it. Indeed, it will be very helpful for the other guest.

We will be always glad to welcome you and next time, don't hesitate to try our breakfast you won’t be disappointed.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The room was small but perfect - beautifully decorated and very romantic. The location is amazing - right in the middle of interesting streets in Saint Germain. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. Breakfast was informal, relaxed but just right for what we needed. All in all, a perfect weekend away; we will come back!

Dear Abi,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your sweet review you wrote regarding our hotel. We are very proud to know that you found the place that you wanted through us.
As you said, our rooms are small compare to other city (it is Paris) but everything around is done to make the stay of our guest as pleasant as possible (with the decoration, our staff and all our different services)

We hope to stay as long as possible your favorite hotel in paris.

Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Hotel Dauphine is a perfect hotel for the "quintessential" Parissianne hotel. Perfect location near all the great little restaurants, Pont Neuf, metro, and river! Staff was attentive and helpful. Yummy breakfast with the best price around. Beautiful flowers! Small rooms, to be expected in Paris!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jen G
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Jen,

What a wonderful review you put on our hotel and we would like to thank you so much for taking time to put it. It could not have been more perfect for us.

We hope to welcome you as many times you want !

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My wife and I spent three nights in this quaint hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a great location being only about 200 metres from Pont Neuf and within walking distance of Notre Dame, The Louvre, Musee D'Orsay and many other attractions. It is surrounded by an abundance of restaurants and bars. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are a little small but acceptable by Paris standards. Breakfast was enjoyable and well priced. We would certainly stay at this hotel again.

1 Thank Graham2181
Marie T, Propriétaire at Hotel Dauphine Saint Germain, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Graham,

We are so honored to read you comment about our hotel and see that you put 5 stars on it.

the description of our area will be very helpful for the other future customers.

As you know maybe already, we will be always glad to be your host for your next trip in paris.