“Almost everything was great about this place”
Review of Hotel Chaplain

Hotel Chaplain
Ranked #222 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The location is really good. The hotel is situated in a very nice part of Paris, with a lot of small cafés and restaurants around the corner and the Metro station Vavin nearby. Walking in the neighbourhood, even at night, feels safe.

It is a really small hotel, which means that the breakfast selection wasn’t huge, but had the usaul suspects, bread, butter, ham, cheese, marmelade, milk, cerials, tea, coffe, orange jouice, etc.

My only negative experience during my 3 nights stay was that on one of the days someone must have spilled out a bucket of detergent in my room, because the perfume smell in the room was nauseating. Thankfully I'm not very sensitive, and windows where easily opened to air the smell out. Now in hindsight I hope that this wasn't done on purpose to hide some other smell.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street, it is a very calm street, so you won't be bothered by traffic...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
lechaplain, Responsable réception at Hotel Chaplain, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel. It helps us to improve our service.

We are sorry to read that the breakfast buffet did not match with your expectations .However, we offer on our buffet breakfast a choice of pastries (croissants, “pains au chocolat”, ...), bread and toast with jam, butter, honey, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit salad, marmelade,a selection of cheese and cold cuts, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, yoghurts .... . I would like to know what you missed in order to improve it.

Regarding the smell of detergent in your room, we apologize for the inconvenience. I did forward your disappointment about it. We asked for a greater attention on the part of our housekeeping team. All your comments are valuable to us and allow us to work and improve our quality of service.

We hope you will consider a new visit at the Hotel Chaplain in order for us to provide you with a superior service.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed three nights at this hotel in October 2013. The location was good and the neighborhood was excellent, as there are many good restaurants, bistors, cafes nearby - as almost everywhere in Paris. Metro was a few steps from thet hotel, so that was a big plus.

Unfortunately the hotel was not what it promised to be. The pictures of this hotel were very welcoming, but the reality was not liket that. The hotel entrance and the hall was not so welcoming with luckages all over the place. There was poor soundproof (if at all) in the room (even soundproof was seperately mentioned in the hotel discription). Smoking area (inner court) was just under your windows, so couldn't keep your windows open. Poor view, as the windows are facing only inner court (=smoking area). Rooms need refurbishing - they are not like in the pictures. Rooms need also better cleaning, as there were stains on the walls. Didin't feel that the rooms were properly cleaned. Anyway the staff was friendly. Would definitely not pay the standard price for the room - and fortunately we didn't.

1  Thank MiaFin

Dear Guests,

We thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay in our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the location and our friendly staff.

I have read with much attention your experience and feel very concerned that you have not been satisfied with your room and I really regret that we do not have your feedback during your stay.

We have taken note about your comments in regards the luggage in the Hall, for your information, we are currently in talks with an architect to create a luggage room that is sorely missed.

We are sorry that you experienced some smoking smell in your room, from the patio, as it is an out door patio, people can smoke but in any case it is the smoking area. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused, and can assure you that this has been an exceptional issue, and that such disagreement is not revealing of the quality of our hotel.

Regarding the stain on the wall. We are sorry about it. We asked for a greater attention on the part of our housekeeping team because we should always offer the best to our customers.

Be assured that we strive to ensure a level of quality that meets your expectations and hope to regain your confidence in a future stay.
I invite you to take this opportunity to contact me personally to arrange your stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Many others have been kind enough to share their experiences and tips; so I'll start by saying that we had a pleasant stay here and echo the many positives already mentioned. To try and help and add something new I will suggest the following for those deciding whether to book or not:

1) The area and in particular Vavin is delightful - cafes, wine shops, bars, boutiques etc. feels like Notting Hill (apologies for those this means nothing to). If I were lucky enough to have a chance to live in Paris and simultaneously successfully robbed a bank I would live in this neighbourhood (I am assured by people I know who live in Paris that I'm not alone in this .......).

2) The street the hotel is on gets very noisy on Saturday night - we noticed on retiring home around midnight that there were large groups of teenagers / 20-sometings drinking and partying in the street. This didn't bother us at all (you couldn't hear it from the bedroom) but I could see how some would find this intimidating.

3) The hotel generously provides free soft-drinks in the minibar; but you can't buy more at the hotel - so stock up (there is a mini-market nearby but it closes around 9-10pm).

4) The hotel rooms are small (this is Paris) but I would suggest larger than average for Paris (yep - really!).

5) If you don't want to breakfast at the hotel - there are great options on Vavin.

Enjoyed our stay and would certainly consider staying again on a return to Paris (unless I get that lottery win and buy a flat here).

Room Tip: I'm guessing higher the better as the road can get busy due to spill-over from the bars and rest...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guests,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking time writing this comment and inform other guests about your satisfaction concerning our hotel. We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay and the location of the Hotel with many restaurants nearby.
We are glad to see that our hotel, services and location convinced you to consider staying again in our place.
Hope to welcome you again in our hotel next time you come to Paris.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The hotel is,as others have said, very well situated with numerous cafes and bars within walking distance. The room was small but as I was in it on my own, that was ok. I think it would be quite a squash for 2 people to share. I thought it was slightly expensive for what it was, even given Paris prices. However, the staff were really helpful and friendly and breakfast was ok-the usual French offerings.
if you stay, be sure to get the hotel marked on the map as the taxi drivers don't seem to know where it is.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about our hotel.
We would be very pleased to welcome you again.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 18, 2013

There's a lot to like about this hotel:
* 24-hour front desk staffed by multi-lingual very helpful and competent people
* Relatively quiet side street
* Cafes and Restaurants just steps away
* Convenient access to the metro (maybe 2 minutes?)
* Easy walking distance (5 minutes?) to the Port-Royal train station which is serviced by the train that goes to and from the Airport
* Free wifi (not the strongest signal in our room, unfortunately, but good enough)
* Access to all the shopping along Bd Montparnasse
* Clean and functional room, bathroom, shower, etc.
* Safe
* Our room had a nice, small balcony
I can't actually think of any downsides. The room was a bit small by American hotel standards, but you're in Paris, after all.

We enjoyed our stay. I would happily go back here again and again.

4  Thank David_The_Blue

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for these wonderful compliments on our hotel and its services! It was a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your enthusiasm for the hotel is highly appreciated and will be a great source of motivation.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Friendly staff, great location, good shower, what more could you want? Would definately go back as its situated near lots of restuarants so no need to go far for dinner. It's in a side street so its quiet and it's just a short stroll to Luxembourg gardens.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
lechaplain, Responsable réception at Hotel Chaplain, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you for your kind message! Many thanks for taking the time to let us know you feedback from your recent stay with us. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay, our service, staff and location.

We hope to see you again in our hotel for your next trip to Paris !

Reviewed October 15, 2013

It is a comfortable boutique hotel situated in the 6er and very near to Jardin du Luxembourg.
We were assigned a quiet room located on level 4. Upon entering the room, we were pleasantly surprised at the comfortable size of this hotel (most boutique hotels in Paris are smaller than Hotel Chaplain) and the bath room is spacious which comes with a bath tub. The only minor issue that we have is that the floor of the bathroom gets pretty wet after each shower as there is no additional glass shield on the bath tub. Bed linens, bed and pillows were comfortable. WIFI worked very well in our room. Room comes with a hair dryer and the non-alcoholic drinks in the mini bar are complimentary. Room does not come with bedroom slippers, which we were prepared for so we brought our own. International tv channels that are available are BBC, CNN and NHK. We did not spend much time in the room but we were glad that when we returned to our room, we were able to follow up some international news. Also, the rooms do have air conditioning which is ideal for travelers who travel during summer.
The hotel is a few minutes walk to metro vavin and metro notre-dame des champ (along Bld Raspail).

Plenty of restaurants near the hotel and a laundromat just across the street. Hotel serves continental breakfast which we gave it a miss as there are plenty of breakfast places to choose from around the area.

Staff of hotel are nice especially the lady who worked on the weekends, she is extremely helpful and speaks very good English. I find her the very approachable.

I consider myself a fussy consumer when it comes to choosing accommodation. As our stay in Paris was very long, we did not want to choose an accommodation that costs too much. Hence, it took me a couple of weeks to finally settle on Hotel Chaplain Rive Gauche, which fits my budgets and the reliability of all reviewers helped a lot in choosing a very comfortable hotel like this.

Would I return? Yes, I would and already missing the city very much. This hotel contributed to a wonderful time we had in Paris. Merci.

1  Thank JettingHydrangeas

Dear guests,

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon,