Hotel des Grandes Ecoles
$369
$567
$466
Orbitz.com
All reviewscardinal lemoinelatin quartermain buildingcobbled courtyardtoile wallpapercroissantscharming hotelleft bankbaguettethere is no air conditioningapple saucebreakfast roomwithin easy walking distancethe ground floorbars and restaurantslovely roommetro station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 1, 2004

All rooms are not of the same standard - watch out, we ended up in a claustrophobic strange shaped, slightly shoddy one with an unclean bathroom in the main building. Fortunately we didn’t spend much time in there, we will not be returning.

11  Thank Rachel123
Reviewed July 9, 2004

We found this hotel to be charming, ideally located, comfortable, and spotlessly clean. Our room was of good size, very comfortable bed (two twins pushed together and made up as one), and opened on to the hotel's quiet courtyard. We were there the last week in June so lack of AC was not an issue. We appreciated no TV. Hotel staff was a bit distant but always courteous. The neighborhood is ideal, quiet, full of university students and places to eat and sit, and away from the hustle and tourists down by the Seine. Yet one can walk to Notre Dame in 10 minutes, and the subway in 5 minutes. Returning to this neighborhood for dinner each night was a relief and joy. We will stay here again!

2  Thank JVBull
Reviewed June 7, 2004

The location on the Left Bank is excellent, the lobby and rooms are clean and well-maintained. The staff is helpful and will speak English or French (and was tolerant of mine). We had a nice view of the garden. The experience would have been a superior one if the room had been larger. As it was, the "double" bed was not much larger than an American single bed (let alone a queen) and there was not enough space to store two medium-sized suitcases flat. So I would hesitate to go back unless I could be sure of getting a significantly larger room. If you are an American who needs more protein than a Continental breakfast can supply, breakfast sandwiches and coffee are available at a neighborhood boulangerie for less money than the hotel's standard breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2004
6  Thank gutenberg55
Reviewed May 31, 2004

This is an absolutely wonderful place to stay! It is a short walk from the metro, and when you enter the gate to the hotel it opens up onto a truly picturesque and relaxing courtyard that left us believing there can be no better place to stay in Paris! We were here for two nights ($156 a night) and wish we could of stayed longer, and almost felt guilt about leaving for the day to see the sights it was so nice. The location itself is very quiet and the room was immaculate, and we found all the staff to be very friendly. Just around the corner are small streets and alleys full of restaurants, shops and small grocery stores - but there are no hordes of tourists all about. When we return to Paris in the future this is the only place we can imagine staying!

Before we left we had read reviews from others saying when they arrived their reservation had been cancelled. We did everything by e-mail and confirmed it a week before we left. All I can say is we had no problems of any kind. In a way I wonder if I should write this review because we don't want it to become so popular that we won't be able to stay here again!

6  Thank brettmaverick
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 31, 2004

Stayed here with my mother for two nights before an apartment we rented became available. We had no problem with check in. We had the building across from the main building. It overlooked the front patio. My mother, in her early 70's wasn't doing well from jet lag. She felt BAD. I went looking for some tea for her and they built me a little tray with hot tea on it for her. It was very nice.
The rooms was fresh, clean, small, but lovely. We were glad we were there for a short time, because although perfect for lovers, it was too close of quarters for me and my mom.
The bf was very continental, but skimpy. The coffee WONDERFUL. I saw someone with juice and I asked for some and found I was charged $4 for each glass of OJ. (apparently, juice was not included in the price of BF) It was very good juice. Mom had two glasses. This was after already paying a pretty substantial fee for BF, and thought this was over the top.
We had problems with a calling card we had purchased. The advice they gave me didn't work. Apparently I had been sold the wrong type of card and so... just lost my money. They didn't intervene in any way to help.
So I have mixed reviews.
Most important, my mom had a problem with the steep hill from the metro to the room. After trekking around Paris and up and down stairs, she just hated facing that steep climb back to the room. The room DID have lift, which she appreciated.
All in all, it was nice for the price. Not recommended for anyone with a bad knee or with any disability unless you taxi in.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member