“Lovely experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel des Grandes Ecoles
Ranked #425 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just returned from Paris one week ago. Stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles. I felt that my experience was delightful.
I had to leave for one night because of no availability and trust me, for less money the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles was so much better!
I had very good assistance from the staff regarding any requests for restaurant recommendations.
Being approx. a block away from the Metro was helpful and also it's proximity to Blvd. St. Germain very helpful as well.
The only thing I didn't understand was their policy of no food in your room, nor washing out any laundry. I didn't read the policy in the room until after I washed socks. Well, at least they didn't kick me out! From traveling to other countries and similiar priced rooms, trust me, this was great, especially the bath.
Maybe the person who reviewed this facility prior to me should try a few Bon Jours and Mercis, I had no problem with the staff.
I would come again!

Room Tip: Try for a room that is away from the courtyard. Other people coming in at night don't seem to re...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Cathy G
There are newer reviews for Hotel des Grandes Ecoles

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Reception was very helpful and the room was more than adequate for our needs. I liked how the entrance was secure, but opened into a quiet courtyard that was very homey and French.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Less than 100 yards from the Cardinal Lemoine Metro station. Two boulangeries near the metro station that you can grab a quick bite at in the morning instead of taking the more expensive breakfast at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank aperry932
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have recently returned from a European trip which began in Paris for 5 days. My past experience in Paris was wonderful at a terrific hotel(which unfortunately was booked this time).I had been reading Stephen Clarke's book "Paris Revealed" which mentions Hotel des Grandes Ecoles. I also consulted Trip Advisor and Lonely PLanet about this hotel.This seemed to be the place for us to stay. It is difficult to book as you have to wait until an opening date which allows you to book but I so wanted to stay at this "romantic" hotel that I persevered. What a disappointment it turned out to be. Our room showed signs of wear and tear and our bed was horrible. I spent most of the 5 nights trying to get comfortable. The breakfast ( 8 euros) consisted of a small glass of juice,croissant and a coffee delivered in an unfriendly manner. Whenever we asked for help from the "front desk" we seemed to be putting people out as they appeared annoyed and responded succinctly(i.e. when asked directions to get somewhere it was answered with a left,left.) This is not a French characteristic as the other hotel I stayed at was most pleasant and helpful. The best thing I can say about this hotel is that the location is excellent-lots of restaurants and walking distance to many sights. I had totally bought into the "romantic" description of the hotel but found it to be most unromantic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank travelbugsueToronto
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here in August with our 3 kids and it was perfect. I avoid chain hotels whenever possible and instead seek small, comfortable accommodations with personality, charm, and character. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. The rooms were quaint and clean. Open windows and fans kept the rooms cool and comfortable for sleeping. We spent evenings in the courtyard, a perfect way to wind down each busy day. The staff was helpful and friendly; the location perfect, just off one of Paris' many squares (Place de la Contrescarpe),close to Rue Mouffetard and the Pantheon. I can't think of one negative thing to say.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Vicki F
Reviewed October 20, 2012

How lucky we are to have been able to spend a night in l'hotel des Grandes ecoles". It was such a wonderful choice. Situated in le Quartier Latin, near Rue Mouffetard,therefore in one of the most parisian area of Paris,the hotel is a romantic harbour of peace in a busy city. The entrance through some huge gates leads you through a beautiful cobblestone path in a garden to the office where reception is efficient and friendly enough. The room was down the path , one flight of stairs on the side of this lovely mansion. It was quite large for Paris standard and decorated in an old fashion but very clean and practical way. Everything needed was there and particularly, the quietness away from the streets. Wonderful

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank platypus06
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel could not be more charming. Located on a narrow cobblestone residential street around the corner from a quaint neighborhood square (Place de la Contrescarpe) that anchors the renowned rue Mouffetard, the hotel is intimate, lovely, and in a perfect, central Paris location in the 5th Arrondissement. The rooms are lovely, roomy (by Paris standards), and clean (French doors and/or windows; toile wallpaper; hand-crocheted bed covers; crystal wall sconces; antique door fixtures), and the attached bathrooms are more than adequate with a shower-equipped tub, plenty of towels, and ample elbow room. Many rooms have charming views, either of the quiet courtyard, the lovely garden, or the old vine-covered walls and gardens of the neighboring quaint apartment buildings. The staff are uniformly lovely and very accommodating. The immediate neighborhood has many (many!) good restaurants, bars, chocolatiers, patisseries, and boulangeries, and the fantastic rue Mouffetard, one of Paris' oldest and liveliest neighborhoods, is a shopper's paradise (I recommend bringing an empty suitcase so you can fill it with your fantastic fashion finds - for which you'll pay bargain-basement prices - none of which will you ever see state-side). Metro stop is a short walk down the hill (1/2 block or so). Bring heavy-duty walking shoes to cushion the cobblestones. I actually stayed in 3 different hotels in 3 different parts of Paris - all of which were lovely - but on my next Paris trip, I'll book the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles for my entire stay.

Room Tip: (1.) Rooms on the ground floor of the reception building are noisy: they adjoin the kitchen, dining...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank LizConeHall
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was a nice place to stay. The gates in the front open up to a nice courtyard where the rooms are. It's a little oasis in the middle of Paris. The rooms were clean and the staff was nice and helpful. It's also located in the Latin Quarter (5th arrondissment) which happens to be my favorite.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business