“a little treasure”
Review of Hotel des Carmes

Hotel des Carmes
Ranked #839 of 1,805 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I spent 7 nights in late Sept. 2010 and was absolutly charmed. The staff was very friendly and helpful from the receptionist to the cleaning ladies. Luc was able to give all kinds of interesting info on places to visit. The location could not be better: 5mn walking to Notre-Dame, no more than 10 mn to the Jardin du Luxembourg and the RER is less than 10mn walk to the hotel. The street is quiet and if you want more quiet you can ask for a room on the interior. A 2 star hotel worth 5 stars. Louise from Saint-Sauveur.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank louise_dufresne

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Excellent 2 Star Hôtel with 5 Star Service in heart of Paris !

Thanks to Trip Advisor, I discovered this excellent and comfortable hôtel
in the heart of the Latin Quarter, located 1 minutes from the Pantheon
and a quick walk down the hill to Boulevard St. Germain and metro Maubert Mutualité
or a 7 minute walk from metro St. Michel. It's also close to the Seine, Musée de Cluny,
Notre Dame, l'Institut Arabe, many affordable restaurants and cafés and
practical conveniences including a stationery shop, small grocers (right on
the rue des Carmes) dry cleaner, laundromat, phone store,
pharmacie, banks, post office, (7 min walk on the rue des Ecoles) and much
more. Markets are held by the metro Maubert Mutualité several mornings
a week and sell various things: flowers, foods,cheese, nuts, as well as a variety of scarves
(great light gifts) and clothing,

The best thing (beyond the fine location) about the hotel which put "the icing on the cake"
was the wonderful staff who worked hard to make sure our needs were met and made
many helpful suggestions to us, which enhanced our trip and helped us get to and fro
locations, including the airport, efficiently. Their superb reputation, already recorded in
Trip Advisor, led me to try the hôtel and I was not disappointed. Whether or not you spoke
French was no problem and the staff all tried hard to make sure we were having a
happy and comfortable stay. They also had a little fridge which we used quite often to
store perishable food (e.g. for picnics) A simple breakfast of coffee or tea with bread and croissant and jam is offered for an additional supplement.

The rooms are comfortably furnished in a practical style and very clean - beds are comfortable and our double had a clean and pleasant bathroom equipped with a large
bathtub and separate toilet. Both my friend and I slept well there and our room on the courtyard was quiet most of the time, with occasional possiblilites for eavesdropping on noise from other guests living on the courtyard.

I would definitely stay at the Hôtel des Carmes if I can get a room, be sure to reserve ahead, esp in holiday periods, they are quite popular !

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chansonette
Reviewed July 14, 2010

a few metres from teh metro makes this a really attractive hotel. nothing really stands out about it, but it was quite cheap, the staff were friendly and i really liked the location.
Be warned, if you're offered Room 1 on the bottom floor (even though it goes at a cheaper rate), you wont sleep a wink. Other rooms are perfect though.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank IrishGirl-late20s
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Location can't be beat for convenience to metro, restaurants and the key sights in Paris. Terrific Latin Quarter location and an historic building thrown in as an extra. Read FOOTPRINTS IN PARIS for a good history of the Quarter and this hotel. That said, the accomodations themselves are very basic and rooms would compare to a Motel 6 or Microtel in USA, that is to say, clean and serviceable, but no extras (except that air conditioning is a plus in a 2 star hotel). Staff is very pleasant and all strove to be helpful in any way possible. When asked about a nearby town and an attraction there, 1 of the staff volunteered that he lived there and would be happy to meet us at the train station and provide a ride to that destination.

Continental breakfast was very basic, but could be supplemented with fruits from nearby markets. Rooms had low beds (mattresses on slatted bases, with no box spring or foundation so initially one felt close to the floor. The room, a triple, had a tiny closet and no dresser (just a small shelf on each side of thebed and a tiny desk with a straight-backed wooden chair) . To be fair, other rooms used by family members had larger closets. Essentially, you will live out of your suitcase. No room safes are provided. Toiletries included towels and soap, but no shampoo or washcloths.

On a price/value basis, this is an outstanding choice but I would probably opt for more amenities.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank LFA
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We booked a triple room for our 3 night stay in Paris at the end of May. The rooms are very basic but clean and the bathroom was sufficient. The air conditioning is great to find in Paris.. The staff were very nice and helpful if needed. The location is great and you are very well connected to the metro just a short distance down the street. Breakfast is bread and coffee. If you want more you can get a much better deal down the street at a local cafe.. If you are looking for a basic but clean room in Paris for a good price this is a nice choice anything more and you might be dissapointed or I might suggest the Eiffel Seine hotel near the Eiffel Tower.. We found this to be a fine choice that met our needs and expecations.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wenalp
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We stayed here one night-1 June 2010. My cousin had a single room #105 with bath, and her only complaint was getting in the room due to her lock’s difficulty. Our room #106 had a twin bed and a double bed, a tv, a bureau, and a small table with telephone. The tv was great and received many channels including several in English such as CNN. There was a separate room for the toilet and another for the tub/shower combo and the sink. Soap/shampoo was provided, I think. Everything was clean. One very big plus for this hotel was the a/c. It worked beautifully and cooled the room down it minutes-mainly humid and not that hot when we were there, but a great asset.
The fire alarm went off just after we arrived and was a nuisance. I thought the hotel had free wifi (I thought I saw it only their French website, but I can’t find it now so maybe I was looking at the Hotel des Carmes in Rouen? They said theirs was 2 euros for 30 minutes. There was no safe so I carried my valuables with me to dinner. The woman at the front desk when we checked in was a bit curt, but perhaps it was because it was the end of her shift. Everyone else was ok. One complaint on check-in was that we had to fill out the form with our passport, address, etc. This practice ended about a decade ago, but some hotels still are in the past. I didn’t have to do it anywhere else in France and haven’t done it on most of my previous 20 visits either. Join the 21st century please. The hotel lobby was clean and the elevator and stairs were as they should be. The front entrance was just 50m up the hill from the twice weekly market. The location of the hotel was fantastic- just down from the Pantheon and close to the wonderful restaurants-especially La Harpe-and others near Church St. Severin. Also, decent priced tacky souvenirs in that same area.
This was the second best hotel I’ve stayed at in the Latin Quarter area. If it’s available, stay two blocks away at the Hotel du College de France on Rue Ternes. I like to try out new hotels, and one day will return to those I really like. I recommended the HCF to my friend’s potential grandson-in-law, and he and her granddaughter stayed there just before New Year’s and were treated very special and invited to share dessert and champagne with the staff at their party even though they knew no French. I would consider staying at the Hotel des Carmes again as the prices were good but probably won’t. The breakfast was just bread, coffee, and cold cuts. Juice was extra! There was a computer station off the breakfast room which I did use for a few minutes. Not sure if that one is free or the lady before got off with some time remaining. I don’t think it’s anything extra special, but it was safe and clean and fairly priced. They need to add free wifi, put a safe in each room, and add at least boiled eggs and juice to the breakfast selection. Thanks TripAdvisor for recommending this as a good budget selection-I give it an above average, but just slightly, overall rating.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank BerlinG-ParisF
Reviewed May 29, 2010

The Hotel des Carmes exceeded our expectations. We've stayed nearby for several times the price, or paid twice as much in despicable lodgings. Four nights at the HDC and we were delighted with the deal.

The HDC is not only a bargain, it's a genuine pleasure. The staff were warm, helpful, forgiving of our faults and attentive to our needs. We were lucky to have the night man schedule our shuttle to CDG which went flawlessly on the day we left.

The HDC is convenient, close to a Metro stop, on an historic rue that looks up at the Panthéon, in a very cool neighborhood.

What's not to like? There are even low-price, take-out establishments in the block that will save you money if you want to pique-nique or eat pizza and sip cheap wine in your room.

I have nothing to say but good things for these folks.

Hotel des Carmes. Six étoiles, if only they were allowed. ;-)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple