“Go elsewhere-Old & Rundown” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel des Carmes

Hotel des Carmes
Ranked #1,035 of 1,795 Hotels in Paris
california
“Go elsewhere-Old & Rundown”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband use to stay here many times while traveling to France. This was my 3rd time here since 2004. It seems management does not want to update it's decor, this hotel is now run-down and need of updating. The carpet same as in 2004 had yellowish stains everywhere ( we did not remove our shoes) the bedspreads are the same from the 80's. The bed sheets had a tear. Shows management doesn't care about quality. For 20 euros more you can get a better newly renovated hotel just down the street! We will never book here again.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rebecca F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My family and I stayed in hotel des carmes for 3 nights, we are a family of 6 persons so we booked 2 triple rooms. One of our rooms had a balcony with a partial view of both the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Pantheon. Our other room had a courtside view which wasn't so bad also. The hotel itself is a little dated but kept very clean. Marie at the front desk is friendly and very helpful, i wasnt able to get the name of the other front desk man but he was also nice. The rooms are spacious for European standards, we had ample space for our luggage and still have room to move around. The bathroom was a little small but not cramped. Having airconditioning in the room was a definite plus since the weather and temperature in Paris varied while we we're there.

Location: We loved the location! The metro station was just down the street, Restaurants and cafes are nearby. The Notre dame Cathedral is an easy 5-10 min walk from the hotel depending on your pace so is the Pantheon. The hotel is located in a quiet street, away from the touristy streets. It's also convenient since the Hop on hop off buses all stop at the Notre Dame.

Breakfast: We only had one breakfast there during our stay because we opted to eat breakfast in one of the cafes in the area since we got more for the same price as the hotel.

Overall: I would definitely book with Hotel des carmes again and recommend it to others as well. =)

Room Tip: Request for a room on the street side. =)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Katherine425
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is ideally located in the Latin Quarter, an ideal base when exploring Paris and within easy walking distance to the metro, Pantheon, Notre Dame to name a few. It is also close to many good restaurants and cafes. At the end of the road there is a strip of little shops which include a wine shop, cheese shop, bakery, green grocer etc - great if you want to put a picnic together for dinner by the eiffel ;-)
The hotel is quite basic and the rooms rather small and a little outdated. Not that we cared at all - it was also extremely clean and the bed super comfy. The staff are lovely and even lets us borrow utensils and plates for our picnic. This hotel is fantastic value for Paris and I will be sure to stay here again when I next visit Paris

3 Thank Aus-Nellie
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was trying to find a reasonably-priced hotel in the Latin Quarter and finally came upon this. It seemed too good to be true so I was worried about the quality. I worried over nothing. It is a simple place, like a Motel 6 level place, but that is all I need for Paris. The price was right too. Next time I'm in Paris, I'm heading back to Hotel des Carmes. BTW, there is a great Italian restaurant, Il Pescatore, on the corner. They have the best eggplant parmesan ever.

3 Thank Sukibot
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was one of the best hotel abroad experiences I've ever had. My friend and I (both in our mid-twenties) were looking for a great location, in a safe neighborhood for a good price, and we got all of this in spades with Hotel Des Carmes (there is a metro station within a minutes walk, and Notre Dame and the the Pantheon are within easy walking distance as well). The design of the hotel is modest, but the rooms are comfortable and clean, and the location and the staff are wonderful. If you're looking for a true Paris experience, you can't go wrong here.

As a testament (and a thank you!) to the wonderful staff: Our early morning flight was delayed by 6 hours on our way out of Paris, so we went back to the hotel to see if we could try to sign back into our room to get some sleep. Not only did the extremely friendly desk manager let us back in our room, they allowed us complimentary use of their phone to contact our next hotel to let them know of our late arrival.

I will be staying at this hotel on my next visit to Paris!

Room Tip: Try to choose a room with a street view, it's beautiful!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AustinEP
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Very tidy hotel in an excellent location, well managed with helpful staff. Rooms are small, but quiet with good A/C, beds and WiFi. Breakfast (7.50 euro) was convenient but a bit too simple with so many other choices nearby. The Seine and Notre-Dame de Paris and a multitude of restaurants are within a 10 minute walk. I first stayed at Hotel des Carmes in 1982 and again in 1988 after a major renovation. I was delighted to find that they continue to update the rooms and keep the hotel in great shape.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill R
Bishops Stortford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights 10th/12th July. Although I have used this Hotel many times, this is my first review. The Hotel is situated in the St.Germain district which is a good location for many of the sights. There are many good quality eating places...very close to the Hotel. There is quite a good market near the Hotel in the Rue Ecoles. As I have said in my previous reviews of Paris Hotels...you do not get a lot of value for the rate you pay I had a single room which was quite adequate, with a shower in the small bathroom. It was clean and tidy and they supplied shampoo etc. The Hotel is situated nearto the Cluny Museum, Notre-Dame and the Pantheon. I paid 97 euro per night which did not include breakfast, but there are many cafes a short distance from the Hotel. This is a good 2 star Hotel in a good loction, for sightseeing and public transport..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo